• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stocks for a non-heavy barreled 700?

Canis Latrans

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Near Albany, NY
Hello, I just bought a Remington 700 sps in .308. I'll use it for hunting as well as for target shooting. I opted against a heavy barrel because I thought carrying around the extra weight might dissuade me from taking it out sometimes, and I want to get a lot of use out of it.

My question is are there any good stocks for this rifle? Are there any sniper-style ones for a 700 without a heavy barrel? Is there anyone else hear that went with a standard barrel or do you all have the heavy barrels for heat dissipation etc.?

Thank you this site is great!

Re: Stocks for a non-heavy barreled 700?

Most "sniper styled" (AKA Tactical) stocks are going to be made for a heavy/varmint barrel. It's just part of the game most of the time. They dissipate heat better, and withstand other "forces" better than thinner barrels. All of that leads to increased accuracy over longer periods.

Tactical styled stocks will follow suit (I.e., made for guns with varmint/heavy barrels).

If light is how you want to go, I would look at the HS Precision Sporter barrel stocks and find one that suits your fancy.

I have 2 HS stocks, and couldn't say better things about either of them. One I have is the PSS 001, and the other is the PST 083 and they both rule. They're not cheap, but then again, anything that is good won't be.

Other safe bets are to look at Bell & Carlson (slightly cheaper in price than the HS stocks) and McMilllan (more expensive in price than the HS stocks). Whichever way you go, it won't be the wrong way.

Manners and McMillan will make a stock with whatever barrel channel you ask for.

Never mind, fill out your profile and most will be happy to help.

If you look on 24hrcampfire, Rick is selling a mcmillan stock that someone decided they didn't want. It would be a good fit for what you are wanting

Thanks for the help you guys, I'll give those suggestions a look.

Hey spot, not sure why you need my email in order to help me out, thanks for purposely removing info that might have helped me. It really shows what a cool guy you are!

a hs precision ltr takeoff stock or bell and carlson stock would be a fairly cheap alternative, and with the aluminum block already in them

they are good to go

i love my mcmillans - a1-3's

also, sometimes you can snag a mcmillan off their internet specials page, for a great price ,

something like a M40 or HTG goes for $350 -$450ish

depending on color, features, etc.,

By ltr do you mean a 700 lightweight target rifle? I thought they had heavy barrels? If not that sounds good to me thank you!