• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stocks for different guns?

Bigbrotheretter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Washington,
Ok, if i have a marlin xl7 action and lets just say it has the same excact screw lengths apart. But its inletting isnt right for the marlin... So if i bedded it would it fit? Since when you bed the action it forms the shape of the action to the stock?
Would this work?
Like a stock is inletted for savage but it has the same screw base as a marlin, could this work?

Re: Stocks for different guns?

I have made the wrong stock fit a few times.
One can remove extra material and either bond in more stock material or fill gaps with bedding.

It is extra work and does not look as nice when done [duh!]
But if you have a lot of project guns and lots of parts lying around, that is the kind of thing that happens.

Clark's got it. If the action screws are the same distance and you can get the magazine to fit that's most of the hassle. With careful dremel work and bedding you can make it look pretty nice too, it doesn't have to look like a frankenstock.

I would do this for sure if you had the parts all in hand or got them for really cheap. I would not attempt this by buying all virgin, high quality components and attempting to "make it work" from the outset.

I asking becuase i got a marlin xl7 but i cant find anything for parts for it...
Like stocks, the stock isnt too bad, but i would like something tactical.