• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stocks or Chassis that position the hand closer to the trigger

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    Last night I was dry firing a couple rifles. I noticed my KRG Bravo positioned my firing hand closer to the trigger than my Manners T6A. I wasn’t quite able to get my index finger a full 90 degrees to the trigger but it was close. With the manners I realized I really have to roll my palm forward to achieve this position. The difference is almost 1/2”. I’m getting the ball rolling on a new rifle build and want to do better due diligence in the stock / chassis aspect. I tend to to prefer stocks but have an open mind. Thanks

As long as you can pull the trigger straight to the rear without disturbing the weapon then it doesn’t matter whether your finger is 90 deg or not. It’s about consistent performance and comfort.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    Not sure where that guy learned to shoot but 90 degrees is definitely the most consistent. Otherwise you’re almost always pulling or pushing one way or the other.
    the ACC with the mdt grip probably has the most accommodation in regards to adjustable distance.

Last night I was dry firing a couple rifles. I noticed my KRG Bravo positioned my firing hand closer to the trigger than my Manners T6A. I wasn’t quite able to get my index finger a full 90 degrees to the trigger but it was close. With the manners I realized I really have to roll my palm forward to achieve this position. The difference is almost 1/2”. I’m getting the ball rolling on a new rifle build and want to do better due diligence in the stock / chassis aspect. I tend to to prefer stocks but have an open mind. Thanks

Magpul 700 Pro

MPA Competition Chassis also gets a 90 degree trigger press, but the MDT is just more adjustable and highly refined. Switching all my guns to the MDT ACC.

Vertical grip a la MDT ACC, MPA BA Comp, etc. subtly but definitely helps with a straight-back trigger pull and, of at least equal importance, straight-back follow-through. The MDT grip is fore-aft adjustable. Both grips work best on their parent companies' chassis; with MDT, it's important to know that mounting the vertical grip their older designs (LSS, LSS-XL etc.) will push the hand down 1/4-1/2 inch further than optimum.

I have both MDT and MPA chassis and like both equally... each has pros that differ and neither has real "cons." Well, the super-long ARCA fore-end on the ACC forced me to alter a piece inside my safe to accommodate it. MDT sets a customer service bar few others approach. That's not to take anything away from MPA; it's just that my two MPA chassis came to me through third parties while I've had a lot of direct interaction with MDT.

I find that, if I'm chasing groups, I do best if I hold the grip with only the heel of my hand on the back of the grip, palm away from the face of the grip as much as possible, and firm but "minimalist" finger contact on the front of the grip, pulling rifle straight back into shoulder. Thumb is on the grip/chassis shelf put there for the purpose. Of course, this is on a bench with Atlas bipod out front and firm bag in back, but muscle memory ingrains the practiced habits. The more hand I have on the grip, the more I'm prone to torque the rifle on recoil. It's harder to pull straight back with an AR-style grip.

My $0.02.

NOT the t4a team from manners. (apparently you can actually have Manners set an action farther back in some stock to get a closer pull if you want though)

KMW Sentinel is great in that regard. It's the most comfortable grip I've used so far, AI chassis come in at a close second.
    For comparison, I've got a McM A6 that I can't get a 90 degree trigger finger on.

Phil Vellayo mentioned something on a recent pod cast that made a lot of sense. It's not ways the distance from the face of the trigger that matters, but also the orientation of the grip.

I might look at the Z10 if I wanted a traditional stock. It's got a more vertical grip than my A6 which should get your hand closer to the trigger.

Phil Vellayo mentioned something on a recent pod cast that made a lot of sense. It's not ways the distance from the face of the trigger that matters, but also the orientation of the grip.
    I find this to be true. With grips that angle back in a more traditional stock configuration I will tend to get a bit of upward and right side pulling...just a bit. If I orient my hand more vertically so that my trigger finger movement from the joint is horizontal, I do better.

This is the motive behind MK Machining working with one of my J Allen chassis to develop a printed grip skin with more vertical orientation and closer to the trigger shoe.

On the other hand, I'm newish to rifles and suck compared to most of you! haha

Reactions: Covertnoob5
    MDT ACC with MDT Grip, OBI grip, or the new MDT Elite Grip will have the most adjustability and allow your hand to be the closest to the trigger
    Other stock options are:
    KMW Sentinel
    McMillian A10
    McMillian Z10
    I've had all 3 and they all feel awesome. Can't get quite as close as the MDT, but still vastly improved over what is considered normal

MDT ACC with MDT Grip, OBI grip, or the new MDT Elite Grip will have the most adjustability and allow your hand to be the closest to the trigger
    Other stock options are:
    KMW Sentinel
    McMillian A10
    McMillian Z10
    I've had all 3 and they all feel awesome. Can't get quite as close as the MDT, but still vastly improved over what is considered normal

Agreed, my ACC with the OBI grip feels amazing. Looking forward to trying out the new MDT Elite grip too.

Reactions: acudaowner
    Not sure where that guy learned to shoot but 90 degrees is definitely the most consistent. Otherwise you’re almost always pulling or pushing one way or the other.
    the ACC with the mdt grip probably has the most accommodation in regards to adjustable distance.
    I’ll clarify, your PIPJ shouldn’t be at like 10-50 degrees. It’s should be at a generally perpendicular angle allowing you to consistently press straight to the rear without disturbing the rifle/your POA. That’s the entire point of having a consistent trigger pull. However, I’ve yet to see any legitimate difference whether my PIPJ is at ~70, 80, or 90 deg, especially considering that when your PIPJ is at any of those angles your DIPJ is likely not fully extended but will also likely be flexed anywhere from 20-40 deg...at least I haven’t seen that small amount of variation to make a difference to me out to 1850. YMMV. Just look at your finger the next time you shoot. If you don’t believe me, break out a goniometer and measure the angles yourself. It’s not something to obsess over.

Last edited:
    On my Bravo (700 SA) I must float my thumb to get 90 on the trigger.

I’ll clarify, your PIPJ shouldn’t be at like 10-50 degrees. It’s should be at a generally perpendicular angle allowing you to consistently press straight to the rear without disturbing the rifle/your POA. That’s the entire point of having a consistent trigger pull. However, I’ve yet to see any legitimate difference whether my PIPJ is at ~70, 80, or 90 deg, especially considering that when your PIPJ is at any of those angles your DIPJ is likely not fully extended but will also likely be flexed anywhere from 20-40 deg...at least I haven’t seen that small amount of variation to make a difference to me out to 1850. YMMV. Just look at your finger the next time you shoot. If you don’t believe me, break out a goniometer and measure the angles yourself. It’s not something to obsess over.
    When I have full purchase on the grip of my current stock, my finger is not even in the ballpark of being perpendicular to the trigger. I love everything else about it and shoot decently with it. Just hoping to further eliminate as many variables as possible on my next rifle. thanks

Reactions: chase723
    Anyone get "their hands on" a Foundation Centurion? these stocks really appeal to me, but obviously ergonomics trump all.

I had same issues and ended up w a foundation genesis, super comfortable for me. I also just got a greyboe Phoenix that so far feels awesome

It’s psychological: if you’re “pulling” it your brain gives your finger permission to pull sideways. If you “press” the trigger, you’re more likely to strive for a 90 degree trigger finger and press the trigger straight toward the back.

It’s psychological: if you’re “pulling” it your brain gives your finger permission to pull sideways. If you “press” the trigger, you’re more likely to strive for a 90 degree trigger finger and press the trigger straight toward the back.

First it was pull, then squeeze, now press, before you know it people will say "move". It doesn't matter... I feel dumber now for having wasted time talking about this. I guess in some way I do care. You have made me realize that, and that life is worth living. Thank you.