• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stockys nextgen vg2

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
Does anyone have the latest version of these stocks? Not the older AG Composite version.

What are your thoughts? How is the fit and finish? I am really wanting a manners lrh or eh1 but these at half the cost is very appealing.

Thanks and merry Christmas

Owned one briefly for a Tikka. Quality was very good- certainly up there with mcmillan/ manners/AG. Ithe grip was on the smaller side, and further from the trigger than was comfortable for me. In not sure if the Rem version is the same. For the price, they are very good.

I bought one of the 700 factory seconds with a sale price. I figured for under $300 shipped to the house, I’d give it a try.

Before the purchase, I called and talked to someone at Stockys. I asked what considered these factory seconds. The lady told me if had to do with the cosmetics and there might be some small chips. But also told me the inletting was fine and should be a drop in.

When I received the stock, there were a couple small chips, maybe BB size and smaller. Nothing that would be an issue. The stock itself felt good, didn’t feel cheap, and the feel of it reminded me of the Stockys composite accublock that I have, just a lot lighter.

As for an easy drop in, that wasn’t the case. I had to dremel some areas to get the action to drop in. Once it fit, there were high points on the tang area and the lug area which had the action rocking. I figured, no big deal, I’ll remove more material and bed those two areas. After the bedding job, everything fits like a glove.
This particular stock only comes in a black carbon fiber look. Wasn’t a fan of the look, so I did a sponge paint job on it.

I’ve have it out a few times and really enjoy shooting this gun. The stock has zero flex and kept this particular hunting rifle down in the weight zone I was looking for without spending a bunch of money.

1225E4FB-FB5B-4AC3-8647-42748E0E4A8F.jpeg
46CA41E6-3216-41B0-A469-7586D7C290FA.jpeg
DDAB0FDD-4123-484E-8EE8-C07993F3245F.jpeg

I bought one of the 700 factory seconds with a sale price. I figured for under $300 shipped to the house, I’d give it a try.

Before the purchase, I called and talked to someone at Stockys. I asked what considered these factory seconds. The lady told me if had to do with the cosmetics and there might be some small chips. But also told me the inletting was fine and should be a drop in.

When I received the stock, there were a couple small chips, maybe BB size and smaller. Nothing that would be an issue. The stock itself felt good, didn’t feel cheap, and the feel of it reminded me of the Stockys composite accublock that I have, just a lot lighter.

As for an easy drop in, that wasn’t the case. I had to dremel some areas to get the action to drop in. Once it fit, there were high points on the tang area and the lug area which had the action rocking. I figured, no big deal, I’ll remove more material and bed those two areas. After the bedding job, everything fits like a glove.
This particular stock only comes in a black carbon fiber look. Wasn’t a fan of the look, so I did a sponge paint job on it.

I’ve have it out a few times and really enjoy shooting this gun. The stock has zero flex and kept this particular hunting rifle down in the weight zone I was looking for without spending a bunch of money.

View attachment 8030464View attachment 8030465View attachment 8030467
Thanks for the info. You nailed the sponge camo!!! Looks professionally done.

Is that what they call varmint/ tactical contour barrel inlet? No fit issues there?

Thanks for the info. You nailed the sponge camo!!! Looks professionally done.

Is that what they call varmint/ tactical contour barrel inlet? No fit issues there?
Thank you! Yes, this is the tactical/varmint contour. The barrel fit very well without any sanding or dremeling

Last edited:
One more question. No complaints on cheak weld? Looks like you have fairly high mounts as well.
I have the same scope on 2 other 700’s, and was able to use medium mounts. One of those guns has the composite accublock stock. With this Bergara I had to use high mounts as the bolt knob was hitting the scope. For me, the cheek weld works well with both the medium and high scope mounts. I couldn’t get comfortable with the factory Bergara stock that the gun came with.

Well thanks to @ridn9hi post. I looked and stockys has factory seconds for $350. I ordered one and will give it a try at that price. Says backordered but was told 2 weeks for shipment. I assume that means they have the blems that just need inlets. I will update when I receive it.

So far stockys customer service has been top notch I have asked several questions that are always answered within 24hs. Seems at first I will get a generic answer but with some follow up questions I get the details I am after.

Well my stock showed up today. Just over 2 weeks with ordering during the holidays.

My first reaction was "holly shit". It is crazy light and I do like the shape of it. This is a factory second. At first glance nothing stands out. After careful inspection the parting line at he bottom of the stock has some areas that are not very uniform looking like the rest of the stock. And there is some pitting and scratches.

The worst of it is an area that looks like a gouge of some kind under the the stock cutout for the bolt to be removed from the action. None of it is a deal breaker or will effect function but this is probably the worst quality factory second I have ever seen. Products from other companies I have purchased from usually have me wondering what exactly the issue is. This has some pretty obvious issues. Again it is still functional but I am shocked they want a stock that looks like this out in the wild.

Inlet is decent. Doesn't blend around the tang area as well as other stocks but it will work.

I will try to get this assembled over the weekend and give another update

Well my stock showed up today. Just over 2 weeks with ordering during the holidays.

My first reaction was "holly shit". It is crazy light and I do like the shape of it. This is a factory second. At first glance nothing stands out. After careful inspection the parting line at he bottom of the stock has some areas that are not very uniform looking like the rest of the stock. And there is some pitting and scratches.

The worst of it is an area that looks like a gouge of some kind under the the stock cutout for the bolt to be removed from the action. None of it is a deal breaker or will effect function but this is probably the worst quality factory second I have ever seen. Products from other companies I have purchased from usually have me wondering what exactly the issue is. This has some pretty obvious issues. Again it is still functional but I am shocked they want a stock that looks like this out in the wild.

Inlet is decent. Doesn't blend around the tang area as well as other stocks but it will work.

I will try to get this assembled over the weekend and give another update
So any more info?

How do these handle recoil/watching hits? I’ve noticed my Mesa having pretty bad muzzle flip on my 7prc and was considering the vg2 as a replacement.

I finally finished bedding, installing qd sockets, opening ejection port cut out, fittings the tang area of the stock and a little bit of tac ops style grip texture. Took me way longer than it should have. I just final assembled last night. So far I am happy with the stock and the final product. I still might do a sponge camo job, but for now I will shoot it and see what I think.

In my opinion. This is the diy version stock. Sure you could use it as is out of the box, but it lacked a lot of detail that other manufacturers seem to pay more attention to. Mine was a factory second so maybe that played into that. Overall I am into it for well under 500 so I can't complain compared to the cost of other comparable stocks.

I will have to report back on muzzle flip. I have a pretty heavy barrel so I doubt it will be an issue

Wasn’t a fan of the look, so I did a sponge paint job on it.
What paint did you use? And did you sand it prior to sponge painting? I just picked one up and am looking to paint mine as well.

I ordered one during the new years for a LA Howa 7PRC, 26” Ace rem vmt corntour. Of course I would love a Manners but can’t justify the money, especially for a $400 action! I really like the stock though. It’s a VG2 w the thick recoil pad. Very comfortable w a good brake, 175s at 2930, very light and I like the shape. I really like the way carbon feels w recoil also. It took some work to get inletted correctly, installed a pillar in the front since howas pull down right on the bottom of the recoil lug. Then bedded w Marine Tex and ran the hinged bottom metal until PTG dbm became available which had to go in pretty deep… 1/8 below flush or so to get the mag high enough. I also made a longer mag catch and relieved the mag height stop surface to get it up higher, lips just below the bolt body to get her feeding reliably. If I do it again, (got another barrel and barreled action to rape on the way) I’d like to see if I could get the action down lower with more inletting but the factory screws and mag box fit ok so maybe it’s a PTG thing. I don’t mind doing an hour of work for about $500 savings. It’s pretty easy w a mill and stock holding jig.

Just started loads for it on 1x hdy brass, ran a few OCW/jump ladders, so far H1000 and 175 eldx midwayBlems (of course they sent 2boxes w different date stamps, ie totally different lots w different Blem issues and I ran outa one old misc 8lb jug of H1000) but it’s staying around .5 moa and 15es. Went out today w the last 15 rds of that load and shot from 300 to 1180, light wind, banged everything 1st rnd laying the rifle over my pack on the back of the quad seat. Very pleased. Peterson brass and some real bullets will be here any day now. Hornady 4dof is also amazing For free! Damn I’m rambling…

I’m gonna spin up another one for lighter weight long range hunting w a #3 Ace, chopped at 22” but haven’t decided on 7PRC LA or 7PRC-W in a SA W Wyatts box. Sorry I’m too tired to proof read this. Is what it is now.