• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stolen and found!

Eli17L

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
New Mexico
So one morning in 2014 I walked out to find my truck door open and the ruger LCP that was in the glove box was gone!
9 years later my phone rings and a detective with the LA County sheriff's department tells me they just picked up a guy with my gun!
He asks if I had given it to this nice fella and I let him know that I had not.
Said it will take a little while to make sure it wasn't used in any other crimes then they would send it back to me.
I would never have thought to see it again.
He said there where only 3 rounds with it... Makes you wonder what tales it could tell.
I wonder if I should keep it or sell it through an FFL to get it officially off my books just in case it was used for nefarious encounters and could somehow come back on me? But I guess that wouldn't really matter would it.
Strange day

So one morning in 2014 I walked out to find my truck door open and the ruger LCP that was in the glove box was gone!
9 years later my phone rings and a detective with the LA County sheriff's department tells me they just picked up a guy with my gun!
Said it will take a little while to make sure it wasn't used in any other crimes then they would send it back to me.
He said there where only 3 rounds with it... Makes you wonder what tales it could tell.
I wonder if I should keep it or sell it through an FFL to get it officially off my books just in case it was used for nefarious encounters and could somehow come back on me? But I guess that wouldn't really matter would it.
Strange day
I’ve wondered in these situations does anyone ever get their stolen gun back so glad it worked out for you.

Feb. 23rd 2011 my wifes LCP was stolen out of her bosses car. Her boss didn't lock her car.

3 months later, we got a call. Ft. Lauderdale Homicide Dept. had it, wouldn't give us any details, said they'd return it after the trial. After several calls, emails, and letters, they just stopped responding.

Some fucking piece of shit cops wife ended up with my wifes Raspberry colored LCP. :mad:

Strange day
It's just a Ruger- sell it.

Reactions: Bender
Feb. 23rd 2011 my wifes LCP was stolen out of her bosses car. Her boss didn't lock her car.

3 months later, we got a call. Ft. Lauderdale Homicide Dept. had it, wouldn't give us any details, said they'd return it after the trial. After several calls, emails, and letters, they just stopped responding.

Some fucking piece of shit cops wife ended up with my wifes Raspberry colored LCP. :mad:

Call the ATF and report them. I had a friend do that and he had his gun back in less than a week.

Cops stealing guns from evidence is well known to the ATF and they LOVE to bend the local PD over when that happens.

Call the ATF and report them. I had a friend do that and he had his gun back in less than a week.

Cops stealing guns from evidence is well known to the ATF and they LOVE to bend the local PD over when that happens.
Cops don’t steal shit! They wear capes and dine with monks while working on thier purity! They are also virgins and have never touched boobs! So pure!

At this point, that would be the only way to get it back. It would turn my stomach to call the FATF though.

Reactions: SanPatHogger
Strange day

Your books? The fuck?

You have police reports to show it was out of your possession for years. You did keep a copy of the stolen gun report and will keep copies of any paperwork they give you to get it back right?

Selling it because it's an LCP and most likely trash would be reasonable. If it's returned in decent shape I'd clean it up and put it back in it's home.

Reactions: Im2bent
Keep in mind that if you have papers, police report copy, etc. that provenance the “theft” and Re-capture (so to speak) by the PD…

You have something called a “crime gun.” And there are Collectors out there who seek out “crime guns.”

“What” it is becomes far less important than the details of how it was stolen, perhaps used… and recovered. The paper trail can make a used LCP worth a couple of hundred into a collector piece that, depending on how “interesting” story is… could raise the value from 2-3x to “sky’s the limit” if the verified story is interesting enough.

So don’t dump it before doing some research. It’s a small community, but there are serious collectors, just as there are collectors for war Trophies, police firearms, mis-marks or oddities… if it’s interesting and different… someone is going to collect it.

Sirhr

Sirhr

Reactions: MCHOG and NoDopes
Cops don’t steal shit! They wear capes and dine with monks while working on thier purity! They are also virgins and have never touched boobs! So pure!
resize

So your wife was screwing her boss?

Sucks for them

Reactions: Bender
I never understood why anyone would leave their tool in a vehicle anyway. It ain’t doing you no good in the glove box or under the seat.
It’s as secure as in the night stand or cabinet shelf in the house. Thieves are everywhere and no place is sacred to them. Accessible is a risk, but better than in a safe if you need it right away. In any case, there’s far worse things to be lost in a theft than a $500 pistol.

The Python may be locked up, but I have Glocks all over the place.

Friend of mine has his fathers service revolver and the handgun used to murder him.
I have the pistol my mother used to shoot my father with in 1962 , didn't kill him (leg shots) my father passed in Feb and my stepmother let me have it , family heirloom, I reckon.

Reactions: XP1K and Gemsbok
9 years????? I can't imagine how many hands have had ahold of that pistol. I doubt it's in any condition to be used by you. If you do get it back, just put it in the safe as a conversation piece.

Reactions: PearShooter
I never understood why anyone would leave their tool in a vehicle anyway. It ain’t doing you no good in the glove box or under the seat.
Back up to the back up...
Had it for when I swapped from a fullsize to the LCP for a wedding.

Strange day

I can share a little light on this, I read all the posts and will respond to the one I feel like responding to. Hopefully someone can learn how the system really works.

I highly doubt it will "come back on you". This happens often. Your gun is now "in the system" not like it was ever "out" of it in the first place. To go off on a tangent, the "gun show loophole" is generally around face to fact transfers, so "they" don't know where things are and "they" don't like that.

What we do is take the gun, just like it was collected, unload it put it in a cardboard "box" that has a clear plastic sheet "glued" to the top and it will sit in a dark property room in yet another locked section and wait for the judge to decide what happens to it. If that judge says it is not to go back you will not get it, simple as that.

Personally you have a small chance it will be in just OK shape. These people (crooks) don't take care of things they take. Me, and it being nothing special I would likely sell it. If you want another buy another. There is a small chance it will come back nice, it does happen, I have seen some pretty high end guns come back, and also some high end things just be ruined. For example several years ago there was a 1930's colt 1911 in 38 super that was just so nice on one side, but the other looked like it had been sitting in mud for 10 years, pitted, rusty just a real shame, then an HK P7 that looked like it came out of the box yesterday.

If it is not far from you, you MIGHT be able to view it.....MIGHT, this depends on a great many tings, then you would know then if you want it back or not.

The other thing is if it was insured, and insurance paid for the loss it is not yours anymore but the insurance company. That can go a great many ways as well.

Reactions: ironman56

I can tell you how "disposal" works for my agency, not sure why I am bothering likely hope of some education.

I am not aware of any agency in my area that has a policy that allows the office to buy things in property or evidence, they are very different things, property and evidence.

What we do, and all the agencies in my area is we will hold a closed auction. Ours is open to any FFL with a store front. No "home" FFL's are allowed to bid. You bid on the entire lot, you are sent a list of what the items are with SN# so if you desire to check into something that is old or has above "normal" value you can. A winner is announced and that is where everything goes. That money goes into the general county fund, the office gets nothing out of it, it just burns our time. We do one roughly every 5-ish years depending on the number of items. It is generally a lot in the 100's of items, both long guns and hand guns.

As to them not responding anymore, that is a bit odd. Not sure why you talked to the homicide dept in the first place. In an agency that size they should have at least one person that does just this, we do, I would bet they would have a few. You should have talked to the evidence tech. She would likely know a time table, and know the judges decisions on the property recovered. The investigations area is really totally out of it. But different areas could do it differently, here out ET does everything, you pick the gun, or bicycle up from her when she lets you know.

The judge decides what is to happen, and that is the end of the road. You get no say in what happens, and you can't do anything about his decision. Some judges sign destruction orders for everything. Others will release property. If your gun was used in something really bad you might just not get it back, but you should have been informed of that decision.

Call them and ask to speak to whoever is in charge of evidence, they should be able to let you know. If you have things like report number that will make it very easy for them. If you don't you need the names of the guys you talked to, all else fails you will need what the item is. I would imagine with a city that big they have a few guns to keep track of, if there is more then one they will not be able to help you.

All of this is how it works HERE, this is really policy set by each agency, they could do it a bit different. Some what to keep the non sworn people out of the public light as much as possible, and have you go through an officer.

Hope it helps you understand a little.

I can tell you how "disposal" works for my agency, not sure why I am bothering likely hope of some education.

I am not aware of any agency in my area that has a policy that allows the office to buy things in property or evidence, they are very different things, property and evidence.

What we do, and all the agencies in my area is we will hold a closed auction. Ours is open to any FFL with a store front. No "home" FFL's are allowed to bid. You bid on the entire lot, you are sent a list of what the items are with SN# so if you desire to check into something that is old or has above "normal" value you can. A winner is announced and that is where everything goes. That money goes into the general county fund, the office gets nothing out of it, it just burns our time. We do one roughly every 5-ish years depending on the number of items. It is generally a lot in the 100's of items, both long guns and hand guns.

As to them not responding anymore, that is a bit odd. Not sure why you talked to the homicide dept in the first place. In an agency that size they should have at least one person that does just this, we do, I would bet they would have a few. You should have talked to the evidence tech. She would likely know a time table, and know the judges decisions on the property recovered. The investigations area is really totally out of it. But different areas could do it differently, here out ET does everything, you pick the gun, or bicycle up from her when she lets you know.

The judge decides what is to happen, and that is the end of the road. You get no say in what happens, and you can't do anything about his decision. Some judges sign destruction orders for everything. Others will release property. If your gun was used in something really bad you might just not get it back, but you should have been informed of that decision.

Call them and ask to speak to whoever is in charge of evidence, they should be able to let you know. If you have things like report number that will make it very easy for them. If you don't you need the names of the guys you talked to, all else fails you will need what the item is. I would imagine with a city that big they have a few guns to keep track of, if there is more then one they will not be able to help you.

All of this is how it works HERE, this is really policy set by each agency, they could do it a bit different. Some what to keep the non sworn people out of the public light as much as possible, and have you go through an officer.

Hope it helps you understand a little.
Well, IDK why we were talking to the homicide dept. either. They got contact info from our local PD and called us.

I can share a little light on this, I read all the posts and will respond to the one I feel like responding to. Hopefully someone can learn how the system really works.

I highly doubt it will "come back on you". This happens often. Your gun is now "in the system" not like it was ever "out" of it in the first place. To go off on a tangent, the "gun show loophole" is generally around face to fact transfers, so "they" don't know where things are and "they" don't like that.

What we do is take the gun, just like it was collected, unload it put it in a cardboard "box" that has a clear plastic sheet "glued" to the top and it will sit in a dark property room in yet another locked section and wait for the judge to decide what happens to it. If that judge says it is not to go back you will not get it, simple as that.

Personally you have a small chance it will be in just OK shape. These people (crooks) don't take care of things they take. Me, and it being nothing special I would likely sell it. If you want another buy another. There is a small chance it will come back nice, it does happen, I have seen some pretty high end guns come back, and also some high end things just be ruined. For example several years ago there was a 1930's colt 1911 in 38 super that was just so nice on one side, but the other looked like it had been sitting in mud for 10 years, pitted, rusty just a real shame, then an HK P7 that looked like it came out of the box yesterday.

If it is not far from you, you MIGHT be able to view it.....MIGHT, this depends on a great many tings, then you would know then if you want it back or not.

The other thing is if it was insured, and insurance paid for the loss it is not yours anymore but the insurance company. That can go a great many ways as well.
1500 miles so I probably won't go see it and really don't care if it comes back or not I just thought it was wild that it showed up all these years later and so far away.

I think that is what is commonly called the "narrative". There should be a lot more to it. This is basically what would be released to the press.

You could request the "full" report, most places will charge for it, we charge $25 unless it is something REALLY BIG that takes a lot of time to put together, I doubt this is that.

Personally it sounds like the hand gun was of little value to you, both in $ and personal value, if that is the case I would let it pass....why bother.

If you do want to request it, you should get everything, now some things will be redacted like SSN# and perhaps birth dates, and if any juv. is in the picture most all their personal info will be redacted, but you will see their statements if they are old enough.

There is more I could go into but I don't think it fits here.

I think that is what is commonly called the "narrative". There should be a lot more to it. This is basically what would be released to the press.

You could request the "full" report, most places will charge for it, we charge $25 unless it is something REALLY BIG that takes a lot of time to put together, I doubt this is that.

Personally it sounds like the hand gun was of little value to you, both in $ and personal value, if that is the case I would let it pass....why bother.

If you do want to request it, you should get everything, now some things will be redacted like SSN# and perhaps birth dates, and if any juv. is in the picture most all their personal info will be redacted, but you will see their statements if they are old enough.

There is more I could go into but I don't think it fits here.
I haven"t asked for anything including the pistol they just called said they had it and would be getting it back to me and the I did get the full 14 page report including the medical report on his swollen ankle.

I’ve wondered in these situations does anyone ever get their stolen gun back so glad it worked out for you.
I had two guns stolen from me and returned. One I walked past in a pawn shop and said oh fuck no. Called the local PD pawn check system and reported it stolen. They picked it up the same day. The other one was sold in an online auction and shipped several states over, the selling shop had to buy it back and hand over to PD. Sucks that the shop lost money on both in this story, they were more than helpful though.

Reactions: JR_77
I had two guns stolen from me and returned. One I walked past in a pawn shop and said oh fuck no. Called the local PD pawn check system and reported it stolen. They picked it up the same day. The other one was sold in an online auction and shipped several states over, the selling shop had to buy it back and hand over to PD. Sucks that the shop lost money on both in this story, they were more than helpful though.

That sounds odd. Did you report the loss at the time?

This gives me a chance to chime in here with something that I think this group could find useful.

You would be amazed at the number of people that own guns, and A LOT of gunz that have no idea what the SN#'s are on any of them. It does no one any good if (to use a subject in this thread) you say well someone stole an LCP. Ok there are thousands, you need the SN#.

How this is suppose to work....notice the use of the word suppose....is:

If you have the SN# the agency will take the number and we will enter it into, for us the state system. That system shares the info with the feds, and then it will go all over the US.

Some guns don't have SN# it might be an antique and that is real easy to tell, or it could be a 22 made before the 1968 deal that screwed us over a little bit more. What I suggest people to do is put your name under something like the butt stock, or heal plate. No one ever takes these off, and if you say you had stolen a pre 68 Marlin 60, you can say it had my name under the butt pad, and it will very likely still be there.

I would also suggest putting it on a spread sheet or data base and store that off sight. If there is a fire and all is lost you could really be stuck if you don't have a good record on what you have.

I have an 03FFL and in addition to my "book" the feds make me keep, I have everything in a database with what I paid, bunch of photos, and other things around the gun, including SN# if applicable. I keep a.....fairly.....updated copy at the inlaws house just incase mine burns to the ground. I have a feeling something like a nylon 66 would melt in a safe if the house was on fire, and I am not sure I would trust them even if they survived the heat if it was a "bad" fire.

Last thing, and I know it is a bit of a thread drift, but hay its me.....

Look into insurance on this stuff. I know some of you guys have a pretty penny in your gear. Most home owners classify guns as "sporting goods". And the limit on the payout is likely well under $3000. Check into this. Some "regular" insurance companies will wright for them, others will not, you will need to check. For example, my classic cars are insured with State Farm, they are cheaper then the "specific" collector car companies, and it is for "agreed value", they came out took photos of the car, and said ok we will insure it for $20k. (Triumph GT6)
Some of the companies want SN#'s others don't, some have "interesting" things they want done, bottom line READ THE DAMN THING.

Sorry for the drift, it kinda fit in here.

That sounds odd. Did you report the loss at the time?

This gives me a chance to chime in here with something that I think this group could find useful.

You would be amazed at the number of people that own guns, and A LOT of gunz that have no idea what the SN#'s are on any of them. It does no one any good if (to use a subject in this thread) you say well someone stole an LCP. Ok there are thousands, you need the SN#.

How this is suppose to work....notice the use of the word suppose....is:

If you have the SN# the agency will take the number and we will enter it into, for us the state system. That system shares the info with the feds, and then it will go all over the US.

Some guns don't have SN# it might be an antique and that is real easy to tell, or it could be a 22 made before the 1968 deal that screwed us over a little bit more. What I suggest people to do is put your name under something like the butt stock, or heal plate. No one ever takes these off, and if you say you had stolen a pre 68 Marlin 60, you can say it had my name under the butt pad, and it will very likely still be there.

I would also suggest putting it on a spread sheet or data base and store that off sight. If there is a fire and all is lost you could really be stuck if you don't have a good record on what you have.

I have an 03FFL and in addition to my "book" the feds make me keep, I have everything in a database with what I paid, bunch of photos, and other things around the gun, including SN# if applicable. I keep a.....fairly.....updated copy at the inlaws house just incase mine burns to the ground. I have a feeling something like a nylon 66 would melt in a safe if the house was on fire, and I am not sure I would trust them even if they survived the heat if it was a "bad" fire.

Last thing, and I know it is a bit of a thread drift, but hay its me.....

Look into insurance on this stuff. I know some of you guys have a pretty penny in your gear. Most home owners classify guns as "sporting goods". And the limit on the payout is likely well under $3000. Check into this. Some "regular" insurance companies will wright for them, others will not, you will need to check. For example, my classic cars are insured with State Farm, they are cheaper then the "specific" collector car companies, and it is for "agreed value", they came out took photos of the car, and said ok we will insure it for $20k. (Triumph GT6)
Some of the companies want SN#'s others don't, some have "interesting" things they want done, bottom line READ THE DAMN THING.

Sorry for the drift, it kinda fit in here.
It has a long backstory that goes with it. I thought they were on a hunting trip with a “buddy” is the short of it. I had serial numbers to all my guns at the time, and have always kept a tracker if my stuff. I actually just started to update my list this weekend with new stuff, and take old stuff away