• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Stolen Suppressor

WYO09

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Montana
So I wait just under a year and now I hear that my suppressor was stolen or misplaced or something by the post office. The post office says the dealer didn't put it in the mail the dealer says it was put in the mail and the post office is responsible. I have plenty of suppressors so it isn't the end of the world but I'm still out the tax stamp money and the suppressor money until this is figured out. The dealer has been great, they are replacing the Thunderbeast Ultra 9 6.5 but now I play the waiting game again. They did say the ATF may expedite the process but not to hold my breath.

• Wow
Reactions: stefan73
Who's your dealer? Was it a form 3 transfer? Just curious why it was mailed.

Transfers are taking less time than in the recent past, but no way in hell is ATF going to expedite a transfer on a replacement for a lost or stolen can.

I normally would drive the hour and half there and hour and half back to get the suppressors but this time they offered the option of mailing it to me and I thought I'd take them up on it. I guess I should have just drove there to get it. I'd rather not say the dealer for now. I was just trying to save myself the three hour round trip drive.

Transfers are taking less time than in the recent past, but no way in hell is ATF going to expedite a transfer on a replacement for a lost or stolen can.

Like I said I'm not holding my breath. I already have the 30 Cal Ultra 7, I just thought I "needed" a 6.5 Ultra 9.

In this day and age its easy to learn if the can was stolen or not. Ask for/check tracking numbers and you find your culprit. Sucks that this had to happen to you, really sucks if someone in the PO was stupid enough to risk going to federal pound me in the ass prison for what they will find out does not sound anything like in the movies. Hope for everyone's sake its just a simple case of misplaced and is found soon enough.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
In this day and age its easy to learn if the can was stolen or not. Ask for/check tracking numbers and you find your culprit. Sucks that this had to happen to you, really sucks if someone in the PO was stupid enough to risk going to federal pound me in the ass prison for what they will find out does not sound anything like in the movies. Hope for everyone's sake its just a simple case of misplaced and is found soon enough.

The ATF called me after he spoke with the postal inspector and there is only a handful of people involved with collecting the mail where it was dropped so they will figure it out I'm sure. I hope it was just misplaced because they are in some serious shit if not.

Both of the dealers I have used WON'T mail the can. It is a ftf pick up only. Check out your dealer.

Almost ever can I own was Form 3'd because I mostly purchase directly from mfg., occasionally from an out of state dealer. Only once or twice through my local dealer. Never had a problem. However, I have now been waiting a full fucking year and five days for my first post-41f can. My dealer has actually gone out of business since then, but can't fully close down because ATF won't unfuck themselves and he's stuck holding several cans and SBR's. He's too good of a guy to pawn off the paperwork on someone else or give us more grief. Too bad he's going out of business.

That 6.5 Ultra 9 is fucking nice... I LOVE mine. Got it for a Grendel, stupid quiet and light too. At least TBAC will make it right, they've always been awesome to deal with. Zak is the man. And if anyone can get ATF to expedite the papers, it'd probably be him giving them a call. It does happen, but it's rare and up to them of course.

My dealer has called ATF when one Form 4 came back knowing I had 3 or 4 right behind it... He called 'em and they processed them in sequence so they all came back same day. And early at that. If one person has a lot of forms in one stack, ATF will sometimes dig through 'em so they can knock out several at once. Makes sense, glad they do it because it's saved me trips. Good luck.

FWIW, a Glock was stolen decades ago in ATL. It was stashed under a dumpster where it garbage juice leaked on the locked open action for decades in 100 degree heat. When it was finally found, Glock acquired it (they'll trade you a new pistol for any Glock that's been totally trashed to the point it's useless. They take 'em and clean 'em up, replace springs only, and display them in their museum in working condition to show what a Glock can take. They've been found in the sea, buried under sewage for decades, etc., but the ATL one always interested me because that one came up missing and they looked for it forever. Was found by mistake of course.

I'd see if Zak can unfuck it for you and see if you can just have the other SN reported as stolen or missing and move on. Good luck!

Reactions: Bender
Not to hijack the thread but just curious, since your dealer mailed your can to you how was the 4473 handled?
The 4473 is mailed to the customer, they complete it and mail it back to the dealer. The dealer then mails a copy to the customer’s CLEO for notification. Dealer has to wait 7 days from when the CLEO received the notification. Once those 7 days have passed, the dealer can then send the firearm. State laws do vary. We’ve done this for many years.

Reactions: Holliday
That sucks, keep us posted. It is an interesting story. If it was stolen, I'd like to hear the rest of the story for sure.

IF and I hope its not, it was stolen and some jack meat even manages to get it on a fire arm and its the 6.5 I would bet it will be used on a .30 cal and have the front blown off. But I bet they find it.

Reactions: Lonehill and Fig
Still haven't seen or heard anything from anyone on this, It's been three months now so I guess I just wait till my replacement shows.

So the dealer had no proof that they shipped an $1100 item with a free tracking number and volunteered to pay for a replacement? Doubt they did that out of the kindness of their hearts, and moreso following ICC laws. Since the PO likely would have had no clue what was in the box or the capabilities of using it, my gut would say it never passed hands from your dealer or whoever the fuck they had drop it off. My paranoia throws up a red flag in hindsight knowing the dealer was the one who suggested the mailing. My money is on the dealer losing it in the 9 months it was held, and he'll never admit his mistake and ruin his reputation.

So the dealer had no proof that they shipped an $1100 item with a free tracking number and volunteered to pay for a replacement? Doubt they did that out of the kindness of their hearts, and moreso following ICC laws. Since the PO likely would have had no clue what was in the box or the capabilities of using it, my gut would say it never passed hands from your dealer or whoever the fuck they had drop it off. My paranoia throws up a red flag in hindsight knowing the dealer was the one who suggested the mailing. My money is on the dealer losing it in the 9 months it was held, and he'll never admit his mistake and ruin his reputation.

Exactly what I was thinking, most businesses arent going to take almost a thousand dollar hit out of the good of their heart. Dealer probably lost the can and didnt want to tell OP. No way he didn't ship something like that with tracking.

Ahhh, if in fact the dealer actually lost the can and he has no way of proving what happened to it I'm guessing he's fucked once the ATF finds out. That's like a dealer "loosing" a firearm and they don't exactly look well to that kind of thing. He'd better figure out WTF actually happened to it or he could be in a world of hurt and the "I don't know what happened" excuse won't fly with them.

Mailing is common between dealers, NOT getting a tracking number is not.

As this is a concealable firearm under current regs, it was a violation to mail it to a non-licensee.

I received a tracking number but it was never received by the post office. All that means though is a label was created and never received by the post office. So who knows what is going on.

Update: received my replacement for the stolen suppressor so in all it took almost two years for this one. ATF called me recently as well to see if I recieved the lost/stolen suppressor. The lady said she has seen them show up 10 years down the road. I'm sure that was an extreme case but still crazy.

• Wow
H
The 4473 is mailed to the customer, they complete it and mail it back to the dealer. The dealer then mails a copy to the customer’s CLEO for notification. Dealer has to wait 7 days from when the CLEO received the notification. Once those 7 days have passed, the dealer can then send the firearm. State laws do vary. We’ve done this for many years.
how do you know the customer fills it out?

Update: received my replacement for the stolen suppressor so in all it took almost two years for this one. ATF called me recently as well to see if I recieved the lost/stolen suppressor. The lady said she has seen them show up 10 years down the road. I'm sure that was an extreme case but still crazy.

Crazy man... just reading up on this thread. Glad you got your replacement... still sucks either way.

I normally would drive the hour and half there and hour and half back to get the suppressors but this time they offered the option of mailing it to me and I thought I'd take them up on it. I guess I should have just drove there to get it. I'd rather not say the dealer for now. I was just trying to save myself the three hour round trip drive.

I mail packages every day. Mailing something of that value in terms of money and time lost through USPS is fucking stupid . It should have gone UPS or Fedex overnight with over $1000 insurance. With UPS over $1000 insured kicks in a “chain of custody”. The chance of it getting lost or stolen when sent overnight with over $1000 UPS insurance goes through the proverbial floor. I also apply two labels just in case.

Reactions: Badfinger
This doesn't sound right, when I take a firearm or anything of value to the PO I usually have them create the label but even if I do it they immediately scan it and give me a receipt with tracking showing the time I gave it ti them. Right? If he printed the label it would still have a tracking number. So how did the dealer deliver this item to the PO without getting tracking?

I think a label was printed, which can be done by the person shipping it, but never went any further from the sounds of it. For example, I sell an item on eBay and I print off the label and pay for the shipping then and there via debit card. The tracking numbers are created, but nothing will come up on tracking until I take it to the post office and it is scanned. Until then, the tracking number is simply created and postage paid.

So the OP had tracking numbers, but the package never made it to be scanned at the post office. So it disappeared between sitting at the dealer and getting its first scan by the post office. Same as if someone printed a label and never mailed it. Not saying that happened here. But the post office is basically free and clear because there's no proof it ever made it to the post office without the scan. Dealer could have very well shipped it and someone snagged it before the initial scan. Hence, no tracking. Or if it was lost by the dealer, saying it they shipped it would be a way to cover their ass. Though a scan of the item shipped would have really covered them. Seems like it never even made it to the post office, or was snagged on it's way there or upon arrival. That's why the trackers are dead.

Reactions: Badfinger
I hate to bump an old thread, but this just happened to me. The mailbox is half a mile from my house. Filled out the 4473 online, dealer MAILED the can to me without telling me, no tracking number, no notification, nothing. We have a history of mail theft around here so anytime something is sent to me I turn on notifications and have someone from our house go get it immediately. Well, I never got it. I'm very upset. Aside from telling the county Deputy to add this to the already-open investigation, what should I do? Call the ATF? I already have trail cams set up. When I find the thief they are going to get caught. Anyway, looking for any advice on what I should do. I blame the silencer company 100%. THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD me they were mailing it and when. If they had, I'd be shooting with it right now.

UPDATE: Silencer company says they are calling the ATF. I already informed the Deputy working the mail theft case I already had open. I guess everything that can be done is being done.

Last edited:
I hate to bump an old thread, but this just happened to me. The mailbox is half a mile from my house. Filled out the 4473 online, dealer MAILED the can to me without telling me, no tracking number, no notification, nothing. We have a history of mail theft around here so anytime something is sent to me I turn on notifications and have someone from our house go get it immediately. Well, I never got it. I'm very upset. Aside from telling the county Deputy to add this to the already-open investigation, what should I do? Call the ATF? I already have trail cams set up. When I find the thief they are going to get caught. Anyway, looking for any advice on what I should do. I blame the silencer company 100%. THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD me they were mailing it and when. If they had, I'd be shooting with it right now.
I would contact the postal inspector and the ATF. Just my .02

You may also want to at least look into getting a mailbox that requires a key if you don't all ready have one.
Your postal inspector may be helpful in getting a better/the best box for you.

UPDATE: Silencer company says they are calling the ATF. I already informed the Deputy working the mail theft case I already had open. I guess everything that can be done is being done.
The suppressor is in your name right? You should report it to the ATF yourself. CYA.