• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Stolle F-Class or Barnard P for F/TR build?

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I was all set to do an FTR build with a Barnard P action. I am using a McMillan Prone stock with clamping adjustable cheekpiece and two way adjustable stock. It will have a 32" Heavy Krieger barrel. I was planning to save a little weight by going with a March Scope. I will be using either a Harris Bipod or the Latest Sinclair. Most of my rifles are set up with an Anschutz rail, but I might just go with a front stud to save weight. If I go with the Stolle, then I can make fewer compromises on weight. As it is, my math shows that I have about 3/4 of a pound, which is obviously just an estimate. The Stolle will give me a lot of breathing room.

My concern with the Stolle is whether the aluminum will be stiff enough. Is the bolt aluminum also? With the Barnard, I like the 2-stage trigger and 3 lugs. What is the trigger compatibility with the Stolle and what are some 2-stage options? Huber? CG Extreme? Any other? Thanks!

I have always assumed that their posted weight includes the trigger, I hope that is right. I have 48 oz. I didn't realize wait was a problem. When I spoke to MT guns last, they were getting them in stock in a few weeks.

My vote goes for the Barnard, but the model P is very heavy: might want to check out an alternative model. Also, Barnard will limit your stock selection. But, it still gets my vote. Lots of people use the Panda with great success. Just be sure to get the version with a picatinny rail....should go without saying around here :) The Panda bolt is steel and can accept remington 700 compatible triggers. Jewel and CG would be two good choices

Last edited:
I love my Barnard. Great trigger. Very solid action. Smooth operation. Bolt disassembles without tools. Multiple recoil lug options (shear lug & v block, remington style lug, or the slot on the bottom. Warner tool will unstall a permanent lug on the bottom as well). I don't know about the wait these days, but I didn't wait long for mine a couple years ago - a few weeks, I think. What's not to like? My only gripe is that the model P doesn't seem to come in a .223 boltface - I wish they made a Model S that took a Barnard trigger.

It sounds like you might be up for a Model S - it has the Remington outer dimensions and works with a Remington trigger, but otherwise is like Model P. A tad lighter as well.

Last edited:
Mike, what do you have yours on? What contour and length barrel, what stock, and what bipod? How much does it weigh. I figured I copied you on my Tac Ops, I might as well copy you on my FTR gun... except for the McMillan Prone Stock... I love that thing.

Carter, I have two
Both have McMillan Prone Stocks
Barnard Triggers
One has a 1x10 twist Obermeyer barrel with US FTR Team Reamer chamber. This is my set up for the new 220 Scenars at a 1000 yards. Jeff Royer's smith Clint did this one for me.
One has two barrels. 1x13 Bartlien chambered by Allan Warner for 155.5 Bergers, which is what we used in 2009 Worlds. The other barrel is a 1x11" twist Bartlien by GA Precision for 155-190 grain bullets.

Before you build you have to decide what bullet you will shoot.
185s seem to be the bullets easy to make shoot and they do well. The heavies take some work but are great in wind

As to bipods. It depends how you shoot

If you load the legs the Long Range Accuracy is fantastic
If you free recoil John Weils or Jeff Royers great

I have a new Talon one from Italy sent me for TxE and it shows lots of promise as well.

I suggest you ask different guys to try one. Since I know you I can loan you a couple to play with for a month or so.

I will be going heavy. 200 grain Berger Match Hybrids or 185's. As to bipods, I have a Sinclair's, but really actually shoot better with the good ole Harris. The problem with the Harris is that I cant use as firm a rear bag as with the Sinclair.

I was just wondering how you are making weight with a Barnard P. It sounds like your setup is very close to what I was going for. The main reason I am thinking of Stolle is for weight limit concerns. Do you know how much your McMillan Prone stocks weigh by themselves? Thanks!

I have a local machine shop that wrote CNC program that takes 3/4 lbs off my 3 way adjustable butt plate. I use aluminum rings. Cut off scope base and run medium weight palma taper. No problem with new Leupold 7-42, NXS12-42 barely makes but BR scope is real close to just over. Then you take weight off in other places. If you like Harris try a Long Range Accuracy Bipod.

I would have GA Precision build the rifle and send scope with it. Take butt plate off and I will get my guy to lighten for you ( cost is 100.00 but worth it). GA has built several for me and they know this set up well. Any questions ask George to call me. In your case I would go with 1x11 twist but 200 will be limit. One thing missed is the faster the twist the more pressure and less speed, so use enough to stabilize but not so much to limit speed. I run my 155s at 3000 fps. 185s at 2800 fps and 220s at 2600 fps. These see to be best all around numbers for consistency which is what your after

For chamber reamer ask them to get US Team Reamer. It is the perfect reamer for your use

I actually have an LRA that I won in a match, but it is mean to attach to a front stud and all of my rifles are set up for a pic rail, so I haven,t gotten to use it. This setup will likely have a front stud unless I can save some weight. If I use a Stolle action, I will go for an Anschutz rail that I can slot in a picatinny rail or a front stud. I was going to a 2-way butt plate because currently, I just slide the butt pad up, but don't do any cant. I think the cant might actually help me. Do you know how much the 3-way with the material removed weighs?

My concern with weight is that I have a heavy contour palma. The barrel is 32". I can always cut the barrel down, but I would prefer not to. I am on a wait list with Gordy Gritters to build the rifle. Obviously, there are a lot of great smiths out there.

I need to order the stock soon, which means I will need to pick the action ASAP.