• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stoney point stix OR PRS Tripod

M24_SWS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Somersworth, NH
I have access with permission to a 1000 yard range with paper and steel targets and would like to get into positional shooting with my m24. For all kinds of position shooting generally which product would be superior for stability and flexibility in getting into a good position..stoney point stix or a PRS tripod?

Thank you,

Heath

Re: Stoney point stix OR PRS Tripod

Tripod is the next best beyond prone and it offers very good stability. I've shot seated out past 700 with mine and its great. However, it isn't quick to set up. If time is a factor, and it often is in competition, sticks are quick to set up.

The tripod i agree with you would be very stable but slow on deploying it in a hurry while the stix would be just the opposite. Hmm.

I wonder what people use in the competitions if a tripod or stix are allowed.

Heath

If you plan on shooting comps you need to be able to use both. It just depends on the terrain and time limit. They both have their place.

Both have their place and are very effective tools if used properly.

I'm doing a T&E on a Hog Saddle. It's a great product, but like everything requires some practice. The down side is that the Hog Saddle requires a GOOD tripod. You can't throw some piece of crap from Walmart under it and expect the same results as a top end Manfrotto.

Fortunately I am a photographer by trade, so I had the tripods around.

If you are looking at a Hog Saddle with a good ball head and tripod, plan on close to $600. If you have the cash, it's worth it, but it's a lot of clink.

The HOG saddle does look very nice. After watching Art of the Precision Rifle, i see the advantages of either Stix or a tripod setup. Both have ups and downs. I think i would try the stix at first since there pretty cheap and would allow me some flexibility and there pretty small when packed up.

Heath

Stix are also great for hunting as they are quite light and easy to toss into your pack whereas your tripod can be a bit heavy to lug around.

First of all, thanks for posting this. I have a match tomorrow and totally forgot to pack my sticks.

I would agree with what people have said about both. But I really prefer the PRS tripod of the two though. In combination with your pack in your lap, you can really get a stable shooting position. More so than with sticks in my opinion.

Also, the folks at PRS are some of the best people I've ever ordered from. Great product from great people.

The PRS tripod looks like a pretty good unit. I would not compare it to the Hog Saddle directly. Not based on quality, but rather as a different tool. It doesn't appear to clamp the stock. Not thats necessarily a bad thing, its just different. One thing they recommend at HS is to take you sling and wrap it on one of the legs. It really helps to lock down the rifle, kinda like loading a bipod. It really tighten the whole shooting package.

Where I live in SE Alaska the deer will come down to the beach when the snow flies. Taking a 300M shot at a Sitka Blacktail is a real possibility. I'm going to do some set-up and shoot drills to see if this will be practical for fairly quick shots.

I would like to fondle the PRS tripod at some point. The price is right