• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Stopping a Tank by yourself

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
The question is how would you stop a lone tank that had no infantry coverage? I will have to keep this to pre 1970 Nato & USSR gear has I have no experience with Tanks past those mfg dates.
First lets understand what the weak points are, on a tank is buttoned up? Anyone?

Are we talking city, woods, open fields, mountain pass, small neighborhood?

Something to think about is that the folks in the Gaza Strip are not nearly as afraid of Tanks as they are of armored Bulldozers.....

How much metal would a coffee can full of thermite go through??? Asking for a friend.

Tanks are not as invincible as many think. Actually, they are quite vulnerable. They got plenty of blind spots, and being basically a metal shell also makes it easy to turn into an oven. Without infantry support, and lots of it, a tank crew is the last thing I want to be on deep in enemy territory. During the first phase of the Red Army's great 1941 winter offensive, the Soviet commanders issued explicit orders that if infantry and rifle teams are allowed to stray too far away from the tanks that they are supposed to support, the leaders of these teams were to be shot on the spot by the commissars behind them. And it was an order that was carried out with full enforcement and utter disregard to how many squad, company, and regimental leaders that they had to lose to their own hands. THAT was how serious the Soviets were about infantry not separating from the armored portions of their units. They discovered quite quickly that each and every German soldier is an efficient tank killing machine by himself, and especially with new hand deployed mines that featured explosive-formed projectile cavities and magnetic bases that ensured that the mine always landed with the business ends of the EFP pointed at the target regardless of what angle or trajectory that they had been thrown, the Soviets had lost a devastating amount of tanks and crewmen to Wehrmacht infantry ALONE... And this is not even counting the kills made by Panzers, Tigers, Ferdinands, and 88mm AA batteries...

Wrong.
Remember your a lone leg or the unlucky leg that got selected to do this gig.

Explosives available? Or just civvie militia field gear?

Assuming the latter, I would go after the cameras and other visual sensors/instruments on the vehicle, providing I know exactly where they are located. Even paint on a camera lens will obscure it, and modern tanks are packed with electronic components. Can't operate if you can't see, and any crew member who tries to see the old fashioned way by poking his head out will meet Big Iron carried in my belt holster...

Yes but 1 Or 2 lb blocks only. Neither of those will cut the hull or turrets though.

What if the 2lb block gets a concave face molded into it, and then lined with a copper disc?
biggrin.gif

The opening in the barrel of the tank.

Once you realize what the softest entry point is the final tactic will come to you quickly based upon whats been said so for. Most of the time another tactic has to be used first depending on the crew involved.

Once they are buttoned up, an alone, they are setting ducks.

Once you realize what the softest entry point is the final tactic will come to you quickly based upon whats been said so for. Most of the time another tactic has to be used first depending on the crew involved.

Once they are buttoned up, an alone, they are setting ducks.
Couple of grenades down the main barrel......:devilish:.

First hurtle make them button up. Cuts their ability to see the battlefield way down an introduces blind spots.

Uh wrong...have you seen an upgraded sep a2 in action? They have almost full 360 vision day or night with the crows system. They actually have better visibility buttoned up against you as a leg then using their normal eyes.

They are no longer restricted to just a handful of periscopes and their targeting sights just in case you need to be brought up to 2020.