• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stopping Scale Sensitivity Issues

combatgrunt84

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
Littlestown, PA
So I got a new bench and I have an FX120i Scale that measures to .001 and when I bump the bunch it actual moves my numbers on the scale which is bad when your weighing to the Kernel for powders. So the question I was thinking about buying this below and then putting the scale on top do you think it will decrease the wobble on the scale to make it worth it? I know I can just not bump the bench but it happens sometimes and I'm prepping my new bench for my new V4 Autotrickler for XMAS!!! WOOT WOOT
party29.gif
party29.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Length-Thickn...al%2C84&sr=1-4

The weight might help but I believe if you bump the bench it is still going to move it . Mine changes sometimes just from moving too much around it. You will get used to how much movement it will tolerate once you get your routine down and you should find it a pretty smooth operation.

Build a better bench or put it on something separate.
Anchor bench to floor and wall? My fx120 is on the bench with my press but it weighs a shit load and is also lagged to extra supports in the wall.

I bump mine all the time, every case when I seat a bullet, and it always goes back to what it was before. If it doesn’t then you actually moved the scale and that’s different.

A granite surface plate won't hurt, but like others have said, if your bench isn't solid it won't matter, fix that first.

If you do end up getting a surface plate, I'd recommend putting a few layers of this under it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010DHSV6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In industrial applications the plate should be supported at only 3 specific points, but that can be pretty tippy, and doesn't work really well in practice for a reloading bench. As long as your bench top is real close to being level, 3 layers of the squishy bench-top stuff helps to decouple the surface plate from the bench top, and then one can run a Dillon on the same bench without disturbing the scale much.

i just happened to put my scale on a separate but close table.

could you hang a shelf above your bench? even a few inches above would isolate it.