• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storage/Cleaning in High Humidity Environments

lose_money

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
Aloha I wanted to get the opinion of people more knowledgeable then me in this area. I searched the forum for this specific situation but couldn't find much. I was wondering what you all recommend or experiences people have with cleaning and storing guns in areas with higher then normal humidity. I live in Hawaii and we often have high level of humidity and I have been shooting most of my bolt guns without cleaning the bore but I am worried due to humidity I may run into problems. I clean everything else but the bore and the gun is stored in a safe that has a dehumidifier rod paired with rechargeable silica. What do you guys think clean bore after every shooting or not?

If you’re storing them in a humidity controlled environment, what’s the concern with humidity?

I don't necessarily believe that it is 100% effective at controlling the humidity. Im just paranoid about corrosion in Hawaii probably even some salt in the air due to proximity to ocean.

Those silicone wipes before storing and even a can/bag of charcoal in a safe or other case

I live on the Texas gulf coast. Makes Hawaii feel dry. I don’t leave oil on or in my rifles. I don’t have a dehumidifier in my safe. I don’t have rust on my rifles or shotguns. If I go duck hunting and my shotgun gets a little wet then I will spray a little rem lube on the outside and wipe down with a paper towel. Never mess with the bore.

If you haven’t had problems doing what you are doing then you won’t.

I live on the Texas gulf coast. Makes Hawaii feel dry. I don’t leave oil on or in my rifles. I don’t have a dehumidifier in my safe. I don’t have rust on my rifles or shotguns. If I go duck hunting and my shotgun gets a little wet then I will spray a little rem lube on the outside and wipe down with a paper towel. Never mess with the bore.

If you haven’t had problems doing what you are doing then you won’t.

Right on appreciate it man