• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stories that changed your behavior for life?

Spidersix

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2020
Have you ever heard a story that changed your behavior for life? I have, and noticed it this morning when I shook out some shoes that were in my closet before putting them on. It struck me I have been doing this most of my life, instinctively and unquestionably. I do that from a story my father told me when I was five and on a camping trip up in Maine (which was a long time ago!) I have remembered the story ever since and do not put on a pair of shoes/boots without making sure nothing is in them, doesn’t matter if they are a pair of muddy boots sitting on the covered porch overnight or dress boots in the closet with shoe trees in them.
My father was a Marine officer-in after Korea and got out in ‘63. At some point in the early 60’s he found himself in west Africa, either the Belgian or French Congo, with his unit charged with retrieving some Westerners and Nuns from the threat of Simbas and other locals who had developed a thirst for killing.
Story goes, and I can remember this like yesterday:
The Marines set up their perimeter and prepare to overnight in thick jungle, and while they hack down some trees to set up mortar positions, there is very thick overhead. At some point in the evening, preparing for a watch change, one of the young Marines puts his boots on without “shaking it out” first, and promptly gets bit by a poisonous centipede. The Marines spent the rest of the night hacking down the jungle, the wounded guy screaming the entire time, to clear a large enough area to land a helicopter the next morning.
I’m five in the deep Maine woods, the trees so thick I can’t see the stars, hearing that Marine scream all night as my father tells the story.
I shake my boots/shoes out EVERYTiME ever since. Thanks Dad!
Spidersix

I checked my shoes for a long time when I was a kid. I was at my mom's friend's house and put on my shoes. I told my mom something was in my shoe and she told me to shut up and put my shoes on so we could go. Ended up taking off my shoe and having a spider in there. I don't pay much attention anymore unless its boots I haven't wore in a while.

The horrible economy + where I lived at the time being completely destroyed by said economy + watching the movie Man on Fire got me into being a PMC.

Reactions: MCHOG
Many short sayings from my Dad. The one that has stuck with me all of my life..... "Son, do something, even if it's wrong". That can expand into many situations over a man's life time. First, don't ever just sit still and let the situation gain control over you. Second, mechanically... Try and fix what's broken. May not go well but it is a learning process. Third, if you never do anything, you don't ever learn anything.

Hobo

Many short sayings from my Dad. The one that has stuck with me all of my life..... "Son, do something, even if it's wrong". That can expand into many situations over a man's life time. First, don't ever just sit still and let the situation gain control over you. Second, mechanically... Try and fix what's broken. May not go well but it is a learning process. Third, if you never do anything, you don't ever learn anything.

Hobo
Your Dad’s comment about doing something is great advice and reminds me of another story:
My maternal grandfather, JP, was a citizen-sailor in WW2, older guy with a family who ends up an officer in the US Navy, signal officer on destroyers in the Atlantic Campaign for most of the war. He would tell you he had a good war, spending a lot of time in England, and told a lot of funny stories (he was a raconteur) about his experiences. Only hairy story was he was a landing beach officer at Anzio. So, he is on the beach getting shelled badly, hiding with some Army enlisted guys in a shell hole. The army guys look at him and ask “what should we do?” He goes “I’m just the Navy guy, I don’t know.” The army guys look back at him and say, “but you’re an officer, what should we do?” Well, he looks around and realizes these guys are looking to him although he doesn’t have a clue what to do. Finally he says, “hell, let’s get the **** off the beach” and leads them forward off the beach to a spot the German artillery isn’t hitting. He spent several days on the beachhead before getting back to his ship.
Moral is just as your dad said: sometimes you just need to do something, right or wrong.
Spidersix

Hobo
Any decision is better than no decision.

My story is my own. It's about one very similar Tropical centipede; this time in Quang Tri Province, Dong Ha, Vietnam; around May, 1967.

It looked like it was foot long, but it was probably closer to 6".

As was my usual; I would cross the roadway at the edge of my compound to the 40MM Duster emplacement across it, to sleep. It had a nice, level sandbag apron on the perimeter side of the M-42. I'd go there because of the noise from the 60Kw Generator I ran on day shift.

I'd laid out a blanket and gotten into the fold; resting my head on the pillow I'd liberated from our Troop Transport (APA-220, USS Okanoggan).

Some time afterward, near Dawn; I awoke with a searing pain in the right side of my scalp. Dear God! Was I having a stoke?

Nope; the shielded flashlight revealed a Gunmetal Blue Tropical Centipede, adorned with orange legs, head, and tail antennae; curled up tight right on the pillow where my head had been.

Man, that Sucker could make a hurtin'. I returned the favor with my M-14 Butt Plate.

I picked up my shit, moved across the road and woke up the unit Medic. He told me to figure out a place where I could sleep for 24 hours, and then gave me a whopping shot of Benedryl.

I made it to my cot and flopped. It turned out to be 24 hours after all.

For the next two weeks, I nursed a shrinking lump on my right temple. Sore, not tender; but I got the message. I take all the precautions; but you can take all the precautions you want, and those suckers can still get you.

Some days; life is that way...

Greg

Last edited:
Watch out for the damn centipedes! I’ve seen snakes in Australia and Georgia, which always make me cringe, but the creepy crawlers always creep me out the most!!
Spidersix

Many years ago my wife worked in the office of a construction company. Comes home and tells me how one of the workers was in the hospital. Seems as he sat in a portalet and was taking a dump, felt a sharp sting on his ass. Didn’t think much of it but later became a big problem. Looks like a brown recluse bit him and his ass was rotting off! I think he made it but was never the same. I remember after getting a breifing at Ft Polk about the shitters at the KD range. To look under the seat before you shit, black widows, brown recluse, even snakes. To this day if I’m “out” shooting or the woods or where ever, I check!!

With critters like these in my AO I ALWAYS watch my clothing, boots and watch my step. Odd thing is most locally never have seen any of this stuff. They just don’t look and stay lucky I guess.
Black Widow
Scorpion
Timber Rattlesnake
Copperhead
Largest known Pigmy Rattlesnake
We don’t bother to get pics of Brown Recluse spiders as they are VERY common.
0A9D701B-4F32-4F83-AAF3-1F251D08AD7E.jpeg
DDF467DB-E65C-4B0B-A0D4-9AB576B8749A.jpeg
E6E23794-EB4A-491A-8104-91F539C5EC6F.jpeg
39AE4210-988F-4458-997F-59C64378AB7C.jpeg
CFAE9B88-7CFF-44A1-AC9F-7AFB288E4BC5.jpeg

Damnit.... now I'm gonna have nightmares tonight!

Anybody who ever got bit by a brown recluse knows to look and shake. I got bit by one in my shirt that had been hanging for months. Bit me on my left shoulder blade and it drained green ooze for a month and left a hole i could poke my pinky in.

30 years ago and the wound is still a huge scar with hair growing around it.

I look close and shake clothes out....hurt like hell.

VooDoo

Anybody who ever got bit by a brown recluse knows to look and shake. I got bit by one in my shirt that had been hanging for months. Bit me on my left shoulder blade and it drained green ooze for a month and left a hole i could poke my pinky in.

30 years ago and the wound is still a huge scar with hair growing around it.

I look close and shake clothes out....hurt like hell.

VooDoo
Many years ago a guy noticed I had a classics bullseye bite on my body and told me to go to the doctor quickly. This was a Sunday. Monday morning I had to sort out some crews first thing and then I was going to the doctor. Between 6 and 9 am the bite went from a bump to black and necrotic and festering. It literally went from a dot to a hole within hours. Doctor said if I had waited another hour or two, I would have a scar for life. Spider bites are serious.
Spidersix

It was about this hot chick in around 1989.
Started with those damned tight jeans and ample bosom.
Haven't gotten away yet.

R

Dad always told this story about a dog that ran across railroad tracks in front of a train everyday, one day he was a little slow and a wheel clipped the end of his tail off, so he turned around to see what got his tail and got his head smashed. Moral was “don’t lose your head over a little piece of tail”

Reactions: R-B
I sat by the roadside with a 20 year old kid while he died from rolling his car without a seatbelt. Coming back from a LR shoot with a buddy. That fucked me up hard. Still bothers me.