• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing a Precision Rifle Sitting on a Bipod Okay?

IndianaRem5r

Major General
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Pawnee, IN
Is there any harm in storing a rifle in firing position/sitting on a bipod per the photo below of my .223 fun rifle? The only issue I can think of is fatigue on the action screws as the barrel is cantilevered.

Savage 12FV with Crit Barrel (2).JPG

Is there any harm in storing a rifle in firing position/sitting on a bipod per the photo below of my .223 fun rifle? The only issue I can think of is fatigue on the action screws as the barrel is cantilevered.

View attachment 7315785
No issue. Neither is folding it up and leaning it against a wall where it's safe not to fall. You could also put it muzzle down on a pad if that's how you can fit it.

It's ok with a fun rifle. Wouldn't want all that stress on the bipod of a serious rifle.

Do you think the action screws are made of butter? It's steel, toss it in the corner, safe, bench, whatever. If you break an action screw you fucked up big time.

100 years of gravity does less than shooting it once in terms of what happens to the action screws.

What you should be doing is loosening every screw on that rifle prior to storing. Actions screws, scope base, rings etc etc. Even the screws holding the turrets caps need to be loosened. Takes the stress off everything. Simply retighten before next range trip for exceptional accuracy....I mean really WTF

E72CF61D-D7B0-416C-984C-10608E4E8237.gif

Last edited:
Hmmm, I've seen similar worries on Arf.com with AR's getting dropped on carpet...Maybe he was concerned that his rifle would tip over and land on the carpet.

Oh we are not done yet.......this is just beginning.

Looks like gravity is starting to pull the muzzle down, it is going to effect your zero.........

Heard a statement that glass is in fact a liquid.

By measuring the thickness of old medevial glass windows they found the top of the glass panes to be thinner than the bottom. The material has migrated down over time.

Glass or metal same thing. in a few millenia your zero will certainly be a millionth of a tenth low if you keep abusing your rifle like you are.

Should I park my truck with the tires on? If I losen the lug nuts every time I get somewhere will my axle last longer?

Reactions: LeftyJason
Should I park my truck with the tires on? If I losen the lug nuts every time I get somewhere will my axle last longer?

Well, the axle won't last longer but the wheel studs will certainly last better without that torque applied. It may be offset by the number of times you forget to tighten them before driving.