• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing Ammo and Powder in a safe?

KurtM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
Oregon
I now have enough ammo and reloading components that I'm concerned about theft and the overall safety of having bulk powder not "secured". I currently have it locked up a in a metal cabinet, but was considering putting it in a safe.

This would be a separate safe than my guns, but I was wondering if it was a good idea to store ammo, powder, primers, etc. in a safe?

Your collective wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated!

Re: Storing Ammo and Powder in a safe?

If you store it in a safe the first burglar to try and torch it open will be in for a big surprise. Maybe you should sprinkle a couple pounds of FFFg inside.

Seriously, confining any propellant in a strong container will allow pressure to build to very unhealthy levels if it gets ignited. Most propellant containers are designed to keep heat and sparks out and allow pressure to vent in case of ignition.

Most people store it in a wooden cabinet in waterproof boxes. I use ammo cans locked in a wooden & concrete cabinet in a fire resistant room.

A heavy metal container like a safe might take half the block you live on if that room ever caught on fire.

Read the first chapters in most hand loading manuals about proper storage.

Do a little research on what states/municipalities require for storage of powder at gunshops. IIRC most require a locked storage cabinet made of 3/4" or 1" plywood for the exact reasons discussed above (100# pipe bomb if in safe).

My cabinet is 1" plywood covered on the outside with concrete "board". I did all 6 sides the same way, pretty much. The only openings are where the locks are located. I used the stuff that home builders us in shower stalls. It's kind of like sheetrock / drywall board. But it has concrete filler instead of gypsum (?). I used 3 layers of about 3/8" thick material each. The first layer I attached from the inside out with dry wall screws and Liquid Nails. The other layers still have the Liquid Nails. But I did the screws from the outside on the rest.

My insurance carrier has a 40 pound limit on powder.

I think that drywall is called "Wonder Board" or "Blue board".

I can't remember the name brand. I got it at Lowe's. It's kind of like concrete with a mesh fiber through it. Not as tough as hardware cloth. But enough to hold it together.

The fire chief here is a friend of mine. He was a year or so ahead of our oldest daughter in school. We worked on the ambulance service & rescue squad together. He gave it a skeptical look at first. But after looking it over pretty good, he was impressed with it. The plywood and corner brackets do the structural strength and the concrete board gives the fire resistance.

Oh well. It works for me.

Dur-Rock or Cement Board is different from Blue board in that the latter is a moisture resistant board suited for potenially damp areas. Bathroom cielings or walls adjacent to the "wet" area in the shower are good uses for MR (blue) board. There used to be a green board available for this purpose but I haven't seen it in a few years. Dur-rock is best used in the wet areas as a great substrate for tile or stone.

Victor,

That is an intriguing use of Dur-rock; It ought to do well to insulate the contents from elevated temperatures as well as resist mold!
grin.gif

This was discussed in the past, and I was involved as well. I have searched, and cannot find it. aarrrggg.

The criminals/B&Eers/thieves need to be (taken out), whilst at the same time the Firemen are our Friends and Allies.

Secondly, we don't need to make anything worse for ourselves, by taking out the neighbors.
----and I don't mean, for drinks.

I just wish we could find enough powder to even have to think about the risks!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnAE308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Victor,

Sounds like wonderboard: http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/Pr...arc&lang=en

It would vent better if you didn't make the corners so strong.

168gr, you might find these links useful:
http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/storage2.html
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx
</div></div>

I made the corners strong enough to hold up the weight of the cabinet on top of it. But the powder cabinet will fly apart with not too much pressure.

If it wasn't "Wonderboard" it was certainly a product very similar.

There isn't enough room in a safe for all of the ammo and components you will eventually have.

Guys, I really appreciate your input. I was worried about storing the powder in a safe and it seems that this is not the thing to do.

What about ammo? I wouldn't think that the risk of "explosion" is there with ammo.

I keep my powder and primers in the cabinets above the icebox. The slightly elevated temp of the icebox keeps the humidity in check.

And yes, I still call the damn thing an icebox and not a refrigerator...

Here again, I stack the filled & labeled boxes in ammo cans and throw in a few desi-packs and label the outside of the ammo can as to what caliber and load is inside. I have a large grey cabinet. (Double wall locker size) I have reinforced the shelves and spaced them about right for the storage of ammo cans. It locks and I have a couple of old brooms and mops standing in front of it. So far, no one has ever paid it any attention.

I don't think the loaded ammo will be the big fire & explosion risk the powder and primers are. But it can still cook off if in a fire.