• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing Pelican cases

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
I have a set of Pelican 1750 rifle length cases that are going into storage, now that the rigs are at their destination. Odd question: do I store them latched closed, left slightly open, left wide open? Have seen elsewhere on the Hide some concerns about the closed cases being moisture magnets. Would prefer not to find them full of mold next time I want to use them, hence the question. My storage space is room temperature, probably never gets below 55 degrees and commonly will be in the 65 degree zip code.

Would appreciate any advice or experience on this....

Most of them have emergeny release valves but for the most part they are going to trap whatever moisture is in the air. So just make sure its nice and dry when you seal it up. I wouldnt worry about it to be honest. I would not store guns in them long term but its a non issue otherwise.

Get them nice and warm in as dry of a place as you can. Throw in some sort of desiccant stuff. Close and latch. Good for 6 months or so.
At the 6 month mark, repeat.
By getting them very warm while in a dry place, you have driven out moisture and as the case cools, you will have assisted in creating a vacuum that helps the case to seal. Once a year, inspect the O-ring, apply some Vaseline (pure petroleum jelly).

Thanks all, just what I needed to know. Appreciate the replies....

I have some that are in my attic for about 5 years now and they are fine. No special treatment. Latched shut and stacked in attic. When I was using them more years back they were just latched shut and stored in my basement. Only came out when I flew to a match or had to drive through enemy states.

^^^^^
I also store mine x4 in a S Florida attic, usually 125+ when its hot which is about 345 days a year. Inside they are like new, don't leave them open it just would ruin the whole idea of o-ring sealed cases, plus they are 1/4" thick so don't overthink it........