• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing primed pistol brass

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
Primed 500 45acp brass and am not going to be able to load them until tommorrow afternoon and was wondering if putting them in the fridge would help keep them and so they dont get to hot during the day until I can load them tommorow night, any thoughts?
Thanks
Ubet

Re: Storing primed pistol brass

Way to much humidity in the fridge.

Just leave them on the reloading bench, they'll be fine. Where do you store your primers?

I have a few thousand primed pistol cases that I store in a plastic bag loosely twisted shut in 50cal ammo cans.

As I pull them out and use them I haven't had any issue over the past 6 months.

If you're leaving them til tomorrow just let them sit on the bench, it won't bother them.

I agree that its no issue overnight.

Most of the time when I'm doing match brass and I cant get finished I just leave them in the block and place it in one of those plastic ammo boxes from MTM. I keep a desiccant in there and thats where i store my primers anyway.

They would stay good like that for years~

J~

When I have spare time and components, I often will assemble primed brass. I then double bag it in heavy duty freezer bags, and seal them with as little air inside the bag as possible. Less air equates to less moisture inside the bag. A twist of paper towel with some very cheap generic kitty litter (Bentonite Clay granules without any clumping agents or fragrances) can sometimes make a convenient and simple substitute for a formal dessicent.

Unless you are in extreme heat and humidity conditions which cause condensation on ordinary objects, a day or two's uncontained exposure to normal conditions is pretty unlikely to degrade your primer performance.

Wtf..does this apply to primed rifle brass too? My shop is my laundry room which has no A/C or heat..I leave my primers and powder out there too. Should I be worried?

I have used primers that have been stored in my reloading bench cabinets for years, with no special consideration other than keeping them dry and relatively cool. I have never had an issue and the accuracy of my rounds are not affected in any way.

Heck I am in S. FL where its always hot and humid. My reloading is done in a shed that has no AC. I have never had a single issue with primers. I have had primed brass sit unsealed for months and dont even give it a second thought. I see no difference in primed brass or loose primers in their boxes. I have thousands of primers that have sat for years in their boxes on a shelf and they work as expected when called upon. I am sure the added steps are great if you have the desire to take them.