• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storing rifles, long term, in foam

Powerstrokediesel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
North Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Is it OK to store a scoped rifle in a Pelican or other similar foamed lined case for over a year or more? Might there not be an adverse chemical reaction between the closed cell foam and the surfaces of the scope and rifle?

Re: Storing rifles, long term, in foam

No chemical reaction, but the foam can attract moisture: Not a good idea.

Good question. I have a few rifles stored in those treated gun storage bags. I don't know how often they should be checked though. Every year?

The only time I have seen a truly ruined barrel from rusting and pitting was from a rifle stored for several months in a foam case ...

I have had good luck spraying the foam down with WD-40 or similar. Have stored a pistol that way for years with no rust issues. Just re-spray every so often.

If I <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">HAD</span></span></span> to store firearms long term in a foam filled case like a Pelican then this is how I would do it. I would first go to Bore-Stores.com and buy an appropriate rifle and/or pistol case from them. I store all my guns in them in my safe and find them to be superior to the gun socks. Then I would get some of the continuous bag rolls for my food saver vacuum sealer and make bags that would fit the guns I was trying to store. Put the guns in the bore store cases put them in the food saver bags with some dessicant pack and vacuum seal them then put them in another bag and do it again. Also make sure that you have enough vacuum bag on the end so that you can cut it open and reseal several times. I would use this method if I was just storing and not opening often to go shooting. Otherwise I would just store in the bore stores case with dessicant packs to aid in absorbing moisture. That is how I would do it if I had to. Just Sayin'...

i work with a lot of expensive aircraft parts, so i come into contact with huge desiccant packs pretty often. if its good enough for a $1.3m EGI, its good enough for my gun. i just throw a couple in behind the foam and forget its there.

One of the Pelican manufacturing plants is located in the city I reside. As I work for dealer of their photographic cases I have dropped by their plant on a number of occasions.
I asked one of their techs about the long term storage issues...I have clients who use their product to store $$thousands of dollars of photographic gear.
The tech said that it isn't the foam per se...it's that if their is moisture in the case, the cases, being watertight and airtight doesn't allow the moisture to dry...so your guns/cameras are going to be in contact with moisture as long as they are locked in the cases.
As long as you ensure their is no moisture you're good to go. He recommended that if I had a customer who was going to store cameras long term in a Pelican case to throw in a moisture muncher (desicadent) for a couple of days before actually storing the gear.
In the 15 years we've been selling Pelican products I've never had a customer claim that they've had any issues with moisture.