• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Storm Mountain Training

Sumpter Steve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Gresham, Oregon
Has anyone been through their "Sniper 1" class? What did you think? I'm interested in attending but would like some input. I wasn't able to find anything through the search function. Thanks. Steve.

Re: Storm Mountain Training

I shot a sniper comp there in 2004. The facility is top notch. Not sure if Rod is in country now but the staff was very knowledgeable. This was a comp so no formal instruction was given but I would recommend classes there just by how smooth the comp ran which itself is a testimonial to excellence.

Everyones waiting for him to run another match it will be a big draw!!

I have been there for long range 1 and 2. Excellent training, great facility. You can PM me if you want more info

Lance

I've gone to 8 different classes at Storm Mountain over the years. Each one was effective in giving me enough info to come home and sharpen my shooting and tactical skills. A friend that I attended the 2004 Sniper Match with is the training officer for a local P.D. I worked with him to train the Department's SRT and Rod's training paid for itself. I was able to contribute enough to be useful to the team. I played the bad guy for force on force and have the scars to prove it. My payday is the thought that something I said might save a life some day.

I'm thinking of going back to SMTC this spring for more training.

Indiansinger

I'm trying to get to Storm sometime soon! Good to hear all the positives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaxson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont want to talk bad about people so..... I would spend your money on another school! </div></div>That may or may not be true, but the post is not helpful.

I haven't done Sniper 1. But I've been there, on course: The facility is beautiful; the people there are very nice; the instuctors are very friendly.

Steve, PM inbound with my analysis and review of this year's Long Range Rifle course.

This is not directed toward SM or any other training center or instructor (or person in this forum). If you only went to one course through one facility and enjoyed it.... well you would probably say they were the best and knowledgeable group of guys out there. If it was crap or crap instructors then it would be the worst bunch of yahoos out there... Thats just human nature. The best way to find out about the course being offered is to attend the course. A very good and inexpensive way would be to talk to someone who is operation in that skill set ... CQB,Pistol, Carbine, Subgun and Sniper Rifle. And I urge you to talk to someone that operates in that arena (preferably in a high threat combat zone) and get their insight. Some people may sit here and sharp shoot me all day on my grammar, my profile, my job, spelling.... whatever else they can. But know that I am only trying to provided real information and get someone the best training for their hard earned money. If your on the east coast check out Blackwaters (US Training). Im sure someone has had a bad experience with them also. And again for the record. I am not slamming any person on here, school or anything. I would like to see someone get the best possible training. I am new here to the forum just putting out recent personally known information. I did like their facility other than that your in the middle of no where.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ohpopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LRR1 is excellent.</div></div>Thanks. But opinions are like, well, you know....

In my experience it is more helpful for us to have analysis:

How would you rate the knowledge and skill level of the instructors? On what information and examples do you base this rating? Did the instructors demonstrate correct position, breathing, trigger control, NPA? Did the instructors demonstrate their shooting ability, and shooting ability at long range? Did they diagnose and correct your errors in real time? Did they personally evaluate your technique on the range? How detailed was the classroom lecture? Did they demonstrate the proper set-up of the rifle and optics? Did they help the students set up and change their length of pull and/or eye relief? Did they demonstrate the use of the sling and positions other than prone? Did they use the demonstration/participation method of instruction or did they just talk at you? Did they provide a systematic means for you to get accurate, measured, dope for your rifle/load? Did you get the opportunity to do a meaningful box test of your optic? Did they help you check the accuracy of your reticle? Could you chronograph your load, obtain an accurate average muzzle velocity, and did you get a ballistics printout to compare with the dope you derived from your shooting?

Those would be some of my questions/requirements for a basic precision rifle course. Without those things it's just long-range shooting, which you could do for free on a long enough shooting range.

I could go on, but you get the idea. How about it: those who have given your opinions here, care to elaborate on your experiences?

Bill, fair enough.

But Storm Mountain's LRR1 assumes no knowledge, no zero, and no dope. That, and they don't teach use of the Mil reticle for ranging until LRR2. They cover shooter/spotter communication - quite well, actually -but there are no non-prone exercises.

Facility in precision shooting requires a basic ability in practical math: students should learn, at least, how to multiply and divide by 3.438, which is something that in my opinion should be taught at the outset.

Deriving dope isn't college-level math: you zero at 100, then shoot at 200 or 300, measure the actual drop, divide to get your MOA, and compare with what you should be getting.

Don't knock the learning side of it: basic long range shooting classes are not just about pulling the trigger. Students should be given what they can't always get on their own: a good basic grasp of Mils/MOA, the formulas, and how it all works together to get hits at distance.

is Storm the range with nice hills to shoot with steep angles?

Ive seen some pictures and if memory does not fail you could shoot there to 1200-1500yards with more than 45 degrees down.

Nice angle shooting training.
Eduardo

You can get about 800 yards in a straight line on the KD range, from the house to the targets, then another few hundred to the steel in the top right of the photo. The range is on a mountain, and you can get angles. The fixed steel targets are huge.
SMTCLRR123-049.jpg

How can you get an accurate opinion from somebody that doesnt know what they are doing. Said person cannot give opinion on instructor either.

Rich

Hey Rich, what's up? To whom are you referring?

Nice shooting at Reade, BTW.

Just in general no finger pointing. Its like going to the gunsmith and asking him how he builds a rifle, if you dont know what he is talikin about how can you really say he is good or bad??? You dont really gain any experience untill you do it. Meaning if you ask an inexperienced shooter if the trainer was good and your level is much higher than the beginner. Get what Im trying to say kinda??? LOL. I could explain it better in person. There was a guy at a match I went to one time and he said he finished at the top of his class at a training facility. At the end of the matchI asked him how he did and he finished dead last. I asked him well did they cover this, that and the other??? His response no,but it was a great class???

Rich

Thanks

Rich, I think know what you are saying.

I saw exactly that at the evaluation session on the last day of the course: opinions varied widely between the students. And most student opinions indicated less about the instructors and more about their own experience level and what other courses they had taken with which to make the comparison.

As always, the answer one gets depends on the question one asks. For example, if an evaluation form asks whether the course 'met your expectations', how does the answer, without more of an explanation, help the instructor improve the course? In my experience, real improvements in a course require an honest debrief and the willingness on the part of the instructors and directors to listen with an open mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought both were good classes.</div></div>Why?

The CPEC had several live call out scenarios one using teams at a local school with the support of the local PD, another was a call out on a hostege at a three story building in an urban setting, the third was a call out in a rural setting. Sniper one was a tough course, not everyone passed. the real world PD and sheriff department personel that where there said it was a very good course and they have been to more that I.

Thanks.

If you don't mind:

How would you rate the shooting skills portion of Sniper 1?

What was the most difficult aspect of the course?

Why did the people who failed, fail?

And what did you like/dislike about the instructors and who were they?

I taugh a class at Storm Tactical before, it wasn't for Rod but we only had short notice and were teaching to foriegn students. We only had hand outs and Rod offered for us to use his equipment and power point presentations, they were well thought out and simple. The students understood better with the visual aids and made it easy for us to explain as they were using an interpreter. He was more than accomodating and gave us a tour of his facility and all I can say is it is really nice and he seems like a good guy to deal with. I was only there for a few days but we pretty much got to do what we wanted, he even let us shoot his own personal rifle that he had just gotten built. He didn't know us from Adam and let us run amuck on his facility, he even stated that there were others that didn't really like his style of doing things, but he said he doesn't really care what others think and that he was doing fine. Everyone has their own personality and qwirks, some people just don't like nice guys, you can't make everyone happy and I think that Rod understands that. His buisness isn't hurting and he has been there awhile, longer than most, so I think the guy is probably doing something right? As for his teaching style and such I don't know but based off of his power point presentation he seems to have mastered the basics and has it all in order and the facility is top notch for sure. Just my .02

Sorry, I’m in TX on a trip. The hardest part of sniper 1 for me was the physical aspect, beside the required PT for entry into the class which was 1.5 miles in 14 minutes and the pushups which was not too bad except running down and UP the mountain road, we had to carry ALL kit during which was completely soaked due to the constant rain . There was also the screw up factor to the PT if a guy did not do proper safety leaving bolt closed or whatever we were all responsible for checking for safety. I can’t remember if what caused the running up and down the repelling tower and doing planks and pushups but whatever it was it pissed Rod and the instructors off and it never happened again. In the course of the class there is a lot of high stress shooting scenarios and require some running and or pushups beforehand. Plus we humped EVERYWHERE no tractor/wagon rides or anything like that but as a scout sniper you don’t have that luxury anyway.

One thing to remember is that Storm Mountain is there to train operators that are supposed to do this for a living, and are accredited to do so. All but three attending my class were active. They just happened to let civilians in the class I’m not sure they still do. The staff has no problem telling them to go home if they can’t cut it. For me getting through the class and being on par or scoring better than the "pros" was a very positive part of my experience.

As far as the shooting goes you will be able to shoot very effectively in high winds out to eight hundred yards in all conditions including pounding rain, we had the remnants of a hurricane go through. There are no breaks in a call out and no breaks at Storm Mountain. I’m sure the KIMs games range estimation Etc. is taught similar to most schools.
The stalking exercises were very good and tough because Rod and his team are good spotters.

I will go again when I get some time. I have signed up for sniper two and three before which are really supposed to be great classes, but had to cancel due to other obligations.

If you need a partner for sniper one next year let me know. I would go to that class again, it would be well worth it just to shoot there again and I am sure I can still learn more from that class.

I'm looking at attending a course as well...any recent news/reviews on this? Searched the 'net but nothing recent out there.

I did LRR1&2.

Great facility, instructors had recent real-world experience and were there to teach, and fantastic weather for shooting (read that as everything thrown at you that you can think of--all within 20 minutes). The place is great for wind and ok for angles.

Be up on your PT-- LRR2 was a "gentleman's course" and Rod still managed to run us up and down the hill we were shooting from. The stories we heard from members (fellow students) was that the Sniper course was a physical butt-kicker.

Know what you are getting into. The instruction will make you a better shooter.

Good to know...I'm 21, and could do the PFT easily enough, but I could be in better shape. Sounds like a blast....just my kind of thing. I don't want a "gentleman's course", I like doin work.

I was about to ask the same question but then I remembered my training (Search is my friend).

I am trying to attend several classes in 2011. Storm promotes that you should try to attend with a partner but I don't think this will be possible.

For those of you that have attended, did you go alone or with a partner and if you went alone was not having a partner a problem?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

alone is not a problem you will get partnered up with someone else alone or if there is a odd number of students probably a three man team

Going alone is not a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyone associated with said facility and knowledge of Basso the Blaster should ask him to PM me ASAP, thanks

Don't stay at the Mountaineer Motel
wink.gif

Thanks for the responses. I am glad to know that going alone shouldn't be an issue.

Rob01 - duly noted about the Mountaineer Motel. Thanks for the heads up.

I have been going to SMTC since 1998 and by far and away the best facility I have ever been to. I have trained at all of the big name east coast spots and have been to 15 courses that Rod has taught. I have never been dispointed or felt out of place there. They have treated me like family since day one and for that I am greatful. IMO there is no better place for long range percision rifle then Storm. Tell me another place on the east coast that offers the terrian and wind they have there. When the run the top platform it 980 yards to the uptown target through 3 diffrent wind shears. I think anyone who has a chance to take his Sniper courses would be money well spent. For those of you who know Rod PLEASE!!! get him to run another Comp. I shot both the Hathcock shoots and they where the toughest shooters I have ever been agianst. Thanks for making this post. If anyone see's Basso tell him to stay clothed in the stalk lanes next time. WB out here....

Storm mountain is worth the time and money.
Rod is a stand up guy and has real life experience. You may not know the difference with the first class LR1 but as you start to progress on to more advanced shooting scenarios you will reap the benefit of his experience.

He gives you information to improve your shooting. Only you can make the difference if you understand the benefit of the information and use it. Practice makes perfect!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rod...has real life experience.</div></div>We all have real-life experience. What of his experience are you talking about?

I was a door kicker and recently took the DDM course that SM puts on at Camp Butner NC. I have been to SM before for HRP and SWAT.

It was cold and nasty. The wind was all over and while it was a good teaching tool was freakishly cold to lay in, run in, and I learned fast NC gets cold.

Rod has no tolerance for stupidity or laziness. I have been both and know in our business it gets people killed. Rod knows that too.

If you expect a nice hand holding then dont bother. But then again if you are going to send a chunk of metal into a persons head from 1000 yards away you might consider metal toughness a good trait to carry.

Taking his Urban sniper course this month. I shot the last comp he had back in October. Top notch facility and staff. Rod is also our main supporter for Army International this year. The guy goes out of his way to assist us.