• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Jacket Armory - 308 Barrel/Action Delivered

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Last November... wait, the November before that... I ordered an Impact action and shorty barrel from Straight Jacket Armory. It took a while, a very long while, for said action/barrel to be delivered, but a few weeks ago it finally arrived. I've added comments to some other threads about how long they took to get this done, adding some well deserved heat to the fire about me and others having issues with delivery times.

Now, while I'm not happy about an advertised delivery time of 14 weeks extending to 14 months, I do have to give credit where it's due. The barrel work looks very good and I'm looking forward to getting it to the range or out into the hills to break it in. Unfortunately, weather is hampering me right now, but perhaps in 2 weeks I'll get out and report back. Going from wondering if I would ever receive it to being happy with the end result (at least the form and fit of the end result) is a big swing.

Rifle specs:
    Caliber: 308
    Barrel: Benchmark MTU 18"
    Action: Impact Precision 737
    Chassis: MDT XRS
    Trigger: Geissele Super 700 2-stage
    Optics: Steiner M7xi (pulled from my 300 PRC when I got my new ZCO)
    Mount: Eratac (not that I need it, but the scope is already in it and leveled, so why not?)
    Other: Arca rail

1677537877920.png

It's not the action-I had 3 done in that same time frame from another builder.
    Bottom line if a builder takes that long, they are flat out stacking work, don't have enough folks, don't have the part, forgot about it, are lazy AF or whatever other excuse.

It's not the action-I had 3 done in that same time frame from another builder.
    Bottom line if a builder takes that long, they are flat out stacking work, don't have enough folks, don't have the part, forgot about it, are lazy AF or whatever other excuse.
    Agree 100%...if your backed up 14 months you've got some serious issues with your business that needs to be fixed.

What was the reason for delay? The Impact Action?

The supposed reason was that I had originally ordered a barrel with an M24 contour. The first time I talked to them, the delay was blamed on the fact that they were not getting in any M24s. I told them the contour was secondary and that another heavy contour would work. That was probably 4 months ago or so.

Reactions: S3th
    Yup, one was a .308, another in .223, both M24.

If you boys don't want to wait, receive great comms, work, etc. hit up Blue Mountain Precision. I'm a tough customer and they treat me right.

Reactions: DIBBS

If you boys don't want to wait, receive great comms, work, etc. hit up Blue Mountain Precision. I'm a tough customer and they treat me right.
    I’ll pass on Eric’s work also.

Do you know what barrels they use?

My last one was a Hawk Hill.

Bluewalker--you should tell everyone what your issue was? Then I guess any builder may have an issue with a build, question is was it a real problem or the customer having impossible expectations.

Reactions: LR1845
    I have had nothing but excellent service and results from Eric at Blue Mountain. I am curious to hear what the issues were as well.

My last one was a Hawk Hill.

Bluewalker--you should tell everyone what your issue was? Then I guess any builder may have an issue with a build, question is was it a real problem or the customer having impossible expectations.
    Ok, lets not assume here with "impossible expectations". With that said, I was referred to Eric by a local action manufacture and I went over the tasks/build and were communicated that I wanted a 7SAUM that would be throated for say Berger 180s. I had a local acquaintance shuttle the barrel and action out to him. I told him to thread the muzzle and I would send the self timing brake, Proof barrel and action to him. The brake was sent just to make sure threads were cut correct length etc. I thought it be helpful if needed.
    In short time I got barreled action back and to be fair workmanship looked just fine and cerekote looked nice.
    My only grip was the brake.
    It was a self-timing with a threaded reducing bushing that was put on. That in and of it self is fine. But, he put it on and basterdized the indexing and threaded bushing inside so that it was clocked terribly. Then billed me $70 for labor charged to spin it on. It was never asked, but I could see why it was just put on.
    A few days passed and in passing with the guy that referred Eric to me I had mentioned it to the action manufacture. He was irritated some and asked to see the barrel which I had in my truck. We brought it in and went to work to fix it.
    He milled a relief in the bushing and removed it and gave me a new one and we spun it on there at their shop. He then said he was going to call him and thought it looked bad on himself because he referred Blue Mountain to myself. Its not a huge issue as a whole but irritating to be charged for for a jacked up brake and install that never need to "installation"

#2 experience, I referred my friend to him for an ol'broomer build and I said to my friend he should be fine for the build? (He has more money than I do) Now, this friend paid his 5K+ and got build underway. During the build communication was poor and when asking questions we were left feeling like we were not appreciated. We aren't those needy people that call all the time about this and that just legit questions when they arose.
    In the end the rifle show up and looked great. No complaints there.

This is when problem arose, after using many different boxes and type of factory ammo he could not get it to group less that 1-1/2". Many efforts, (scopes, shooters, ammo, benchrests, bags, bipods, etc.) were used. Needless to say my friend was very discouraged and spent many phone calls to myself trying to rule out variables. My friend and I discussed shipping rifle from Alaska to myself so I could sell it for him and I said to try reaching out to Brian and see if he had any ideas different that what were were doing?He was reluctant because of prior communications but called him to discuss the rifle. He was kind of a dick with his communication and left us right where we were before we called him.
    The plain and simple was we were shooting different premium boxes of ammo and couldn't get it to shoot. Note: this isn't our first rodeo with rifles or customs for myself either. This is a basic 300 win that ideally needs to shoot LGS ammo.
    So, at this point my friend is bummed about his "dream rifle". I decided to try one last ditch effort by reloading and after some trial and error we found a load that was 1/2"moa. My friend was ecstatic and would send his picture to me to show his excitement after the frustrations that occurred.
    So..... my take a way was he was kind of a dick and arrogant when we struggling to get a rifle he guaranties will shoot. We weren't asking him to do anything other than some insight to the rifle he built. I just think others out there are easier to deal with. TSCustoms, Pierce, etc.

Last edited:
    The supposed reason was that I had originally ordered a barrel with an M24 contour. The first time I talked to them, the delay was blamed on the fact that they were not getting in any M24s. I told them the contour was secondary and that another heavy contour would work. That was probably 4 months ago or so.
    I fell into the trap at SJA and I've had multiple problems with Nick. That guy is a fucking mess with no end in sight.
    - They're workmanship is inconsistent, if or when it actually shows up months or years later. One 7 SAW barrel showed up looking like it was chambered and throated with a dremel and a pocket knife. There's a thread on here where I posted pics of his work to help warn others.
    - Unorganized to the point of him calling me six months AFTER it was quoted to be finished and asking "what are we doing for you again" even though it was all listed in the online order made off of his self-created website, and then doing it wrong - he cut a Bartlein Carbon barrel (that I had to supply to him) for a shouldered Rem 700 vs the WTO SwitchLug that was listed on my order on his checkout summary for the service I pre-paid for. So I had to ship him another barrel for him to chamber, again, taking him months to correct.
    - Fucker would get indignant with me any time I asked him several months later about my pre-paid orders timeframe ETA (again, on barrels I provided to him to chamber) if I didn't ask him absolutely perfectly in a manner he would accept. This type of narcissistic bullshit should sound pretty fucking familiar to anyone that has had anything more than an online purchase with him that invloved any actual gunsmithing work. Chad Dixon at LRI, Dallas Lane at LPR, or Clayton at WTO do all my work now.

• Love
    Reactions: RockyMntUt
    I didn't get to take the rifle to the range before I took it out to the hills. Loaded it with 43 gr of Varget, BR4, Berger 155 Full Bore. Random load and seating depth, middle of the road all the way around.

Zeroed the scope and fired 10 rounds at 100 yards. Initial velocity was just under 2500. Then fired a bunch at a 10" target at about 750 yards and 10 at a 12"x20" target at 950.

1681014474336.png

1681014883196.png

I give credit where credit is due. For a random load, it did pretty well. I'm going to head to the range to run another 50 cases through, then I'll start load dev.

Last November... wait, the November before that... I ordered an Impact action and shorty barrel from Straight Jacket Armory. It took a while, a very long while, for said action/barrel to be delivered, but a few weeks ago it finally arrived. I've added comments to some other threads about how long they took to get this done, adding some well deserved heat to the fire about me and others having issues with delivery times.

Now, while I'm not happy about an advertised delivery time of 14 weeks extending to 14 months, I do have to give credit where it's due. The barrel work looks very good and I'm looking forward to getting it to the range or out into the hills to break it in. Unfortunately, weather is hampering me right now, but perhaps in 2 weeks I'll get out and report back. Going from wondering if I would ever receive it to being happy with the end result (at least the form and fit of the end result) is a big swing.

Rifle specs:
    Mount: Eratac (not that I need it, but the scope is already in it and leveled, so why not?)

View attachment 8085295
    What length arca are you running? I need to order one for my XRS.

Looks like a nice handy build!

I have been very impressed by Straight Jacket Armory's work and Nick as a person when we have talked over the barrel work I have had him perform for me.

Its amazing when they can order components, have a top of the line barrel cut and chamber and screw everything together in a month or less; yet they choose to pay these companies the pleasure of taking a year to get them something they can do themselves with a torque wrench, barrel vise and set of allen keys.

Impact has action bodies in stock right now
    Bugholes has barrels in stock and can cut you a prefit in less than 4 weeks delivered to your door. (LRI and HH may be faster)
    Gather all the other components
    Put together, and go shoot.

And the hilarity of it all, alot of the companies that take the longest do the shittiest work.

Rifle specs:

View attachment 8085295

Maybe the long time frame was due to the barrel manufacturer taking so long to make the barrel. It took over a year to get my last barrel from Benchmark.

Maybe the long time frame was due to the barrel manufacturer taking so long to make the barrel. It took over a year to get my last barrel from Benchmark.

I think that played a role. I used them for my 37XC and it was a long wait. I will say that the 308 shoots incredibly well. I still haven't done any load development because I guessed at a load and seating depth (44.2 gr Varget, 60 off, Berger 155) that's working pretty well. SDs are a little higher than I'd like, but it groups incredibly well.

Reactions: diggdugg
    I think that played a role. I used them for my 37XC and it was a long wait. I will say that the 308 shoots incredibly well. I still haven't done any load development because I guessed at a load and seating depth (44.2 gr Varget, 60 off, Berger 155) that's working pretty well. SDs are a little higher than I'd like, but it groups incredibly well.

Fine looking rifle. It really should be an enjoyable experience to spend your hard earned money on something like that. Sorry it wasn’t…..

Yeah I'm sure that was it, but weather had them shut down as well. I'm friends with them on fb.

Great looking rifle by the way.

@Rocketmandb how do you like the XRS?

I was asked the same thing at a range the other day.

Comments:

- Generally, I like it. For the price, it is a good value.
    - The cheek riser hardware is not the most robust, but for a chassis of this price range, it's appropriate.
    - The overall finish is just okay, but, again, what you'd expect for this price range.
    - It seems to be quite solid structurally. I don't at all feel like it's flimsy anywhere.
    - The mag well is a little tight.

I'm thinking about ordering a Furiosa

Reactions: krumfola
    I’ve been looking at them but I’m thinking I’d be better off saving a bit longer and getting an MPA or even an ESS. By the time I add weight, an arca rail, and the vertical adjustable butt I’d be pretty close to one of the others.

Hey all guess who is back. Appreciate the love and understand the issues. We understand delivery has been an issue, but with Cole at the helm that has shrunk drastically. Nick is kicking ass in the shop now and we are getting faster.

Looking up a couple of the guys with issues on here, they have never reached out with an issue so take their negative comments at what you need to. We are available and will always stand behind our products and understand we have had issues. But it’s changing, appreciate you all and we really hope to spin you up something soon!

Hey all guess who is back. Appreciate the love and understand the issues. We understand delivery has been an issue, but with Cole at the helm that has shrunk drastically. Nick is kicking ass in the shop now and we are getting faster.

Looking up a couple of the guys with issues on here, they have never reached out with an issue so take their negative comments at what you need to. We are available and will always stand behind our products and understand we have had issues. But it’s changing, appreciate you all and we really hope to spin you up something soon!

I let this BS go and put you guys behind me, but not if you're gonna start off your grandiose return to everone here with a blatant lie. Who us this? Tristan? If you are anyone other than Nick, you know damn well 99% of us dealt directly with Nick as he made it clear that's the way your ship runs down there - he ran all the customer service. With a slew of emails to back me up, my only regret is that my last conversation with your dad wasn't thru email but by phone. If this IS Tristan and you can be honest, you were sitting next to him in the pickup on your way back from the airport when he talked to me over cell like the biggest a-hole for questioning his delivery date after months and months of waiting with zero comms. You guys had personal issues that week and other time as well, I gave him plenty of grace for it, but you can't talk to your customers like that using emotional appeal tactics when you know you're on the wrong side of it and know it. I wish you guys the best of luck, I really liked your dad in the beginning.

I let this BS go and put you guys behind me, but not if you're gonna start off your grandiose return to everone here with a blatant lie. Who us this? Tristan? If you are anyone other than Nick, you know damn well 99% of us dealt directly with Nick as he made it clear that's the way your ship runs down there - he ran all the customer service. With a slew of emails to back me up, my only regret is that my last conversation with your dad wasn't thru email but by phone. If this IS Tristan and you can be honest, you were sitting next to him in the pickup on your way back from the airport when he talked to me over cell like the biggest a-hole for questioning his delivery date after months and months of waiting with zero comms. You guys had personal issues that week and other time as well, I gave him plenty of grace for it, but you can't talk to your customers like that using emotional appeal tactics and when you know you're on the wrong side of it and know it.
    I’m not going to argue in here bud. This is Cole, Tristan has left the company and I now own it. If you need to know who I am ask around, I have been in this industry for a long time. My podcast is out there too.

Sorry you had issues and like I said, a couple people on here are full of it as I have personally caught it. You probably have a solid issue but I have came in and addressed these and have since apologized for delivery issues. If you want to talk to me directly my email is [email protected]

Reactions: Clownbuster