• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Jacket Armory - All about customers and quality!

Cadlau1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I wanted to share my recent experience with the guys over at SJA. First off, I really got into precision rifle shooting a couple of years ago when I bought a Masterpiece Arms 6.5CM. Great rifle, as I am sure you all know. It was however, in a store ready to go when I found it. I have bought many guns in my life but never had a true custom gun built before this. I was wanting a shorter barrel 6.5CM and was looking at several builders over about 3-4 months. After reading a ton of reviews and talking to folks who know a lot more than me, I knew I wanted a rifle built. I called Nick at SJA. My biggest issue with the whole getting a custom rifle thing was the wait! I have always been more of a right now person, so the idea of waiting a few months for a gun was not on the top of my list. Great thing about SJA is they happened to have a barrel, stock, trigger, etc in their inventory that would work. Nick was great about waking thru what length of barrel, chambering and setup I wanted. I went with 21” M24 Contour, Zermatt Action 6.5CM. Best thing was, I could actually have it completed in the next few weeks.

THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

As with most things in business, and in no small part to recent demand for these rifles, there was a small delay. Of course, I did not understand, really understand, the custom rifle building process like I do today:)) I freaked out, probably sent 20 emails and 10 phone calls to Nick and team. All I can say about Nick, he is very calming! I have rarely met someone who displayed more confidence in their product, knowledge and desire for customer satisfaction than Nick did. Without going into the details, I can say they went above and beyond to make me happy and they SUCCEEDED!! They will now have my next order/ business as well..

I am just getting the rifle now, so I will leave another post soon as to how is shoots. Although, that is the least of my worries after getting to know Nick and team as they only build top notch quality!!

I would highly recommend talking to these guys for your next build...

Adam

Reactions: BobA and Dooby
I too had a fantastic experience with SJA, Nick and the whole team. Not only is their CS top notch, the prefit barrel I got for my AI AT absolutely hammers!

Reactions: tex68w
Glad to hear that Norseman1950!

A little update from my first post. I finally made it to the range and it hammers!! Like a laser. I sighted it in with factory 140 ELD and got .5/.6 MOA from first 5 shot groups. I can tell you, listen to Nick’s video about barrel break in if you haven’t already. “Shoot it like you stole it” and I have:)

Next, I worked up some 140 ELD hand loads @ .025-.030 off lands and shoulder bump of .002-.0025. It shot the next 4/5 groups .38 MOA or better. I think my best group was .22 MOA. Magnetospeed said I was getting 2655fps avg w/ SD of 6.0:)) Remember I got a 21” barrel. That was also with 41.0 grs of H4350. Next I am going to load a small ladder as I bet I can get 2700fps+ with somewhere around 41.3 or 41.5grs. I only have a total of 86rds thru it so far so I am sure it’s going to speed up anyway..

All in all, could not be more happy!! SJA does precision right:))

Adam

Brilliant, thank you for the video link. Even though I’m not on FB I was able to watch it and he sums up what I’ve been learning through Frank and others on the Hide. I used to think I had to perfect a barrel break in for the rifle to shoot well and I’ve learned and experienced that sometimes you can do more harm than good.

Lucky. I’ve been waiting since April 2019 and finally got an update in December. So I just bought a 7saum for upcoming hunting season here in Alaska. I’ll get my build sometime though lol

• Wow
Reactions: wind gypsy
Just becareful , i went and selected a rifle to be spun up and chose their options but i thought i would check as its a newly released barrel - nope, they didnt have it in stock (which didnt tell me at all) - if i had of clicked buy i would of been looking at a 4 month wait ... in this day and age no reason you can show whats in stock and what isnt.

I called up to Straight Jacket today to order a Terminus Pre-fit barrel and then ask how long it may be. Next thing I know the owner Nick picks up the phone and we have a great convo. Glad I talked to him and he set me straight. That was great customer service. I am definitely looking forward to the barrel.

My first SJA barrel absolutely hammers in my AI, I just sent Nick my Bighorn TL-2 and my Bartlein CF LH GT 1:9-1:8.25 barrel for chambering in 7 SAUM and shooting 175-185's. He almost convinced me to go with 7 SS, but in lieu of our current component shortage crisis I opted to just stay with 7 SAUM as I have everything for it, but if this ever lightens up I think I might look into 7 SS after my conversation with him, might even be something to consider for the AI at some point. Nick is a great guy and fun to chat with, what an asset to the community!

Nick is great, whenever I email him he personally call me back the next days. I only email him once a month to check on my order. They are doing what they can to deliver the order.

Reactions: Glassaholic
My interactions have been great as well and I haven't even ordered from him, yet!

Just got my SJA 6.5x47L zeus prefit in about 3 weeks from ordering to barrel in hand. Haven't shot it yet, but threads, distance to lands are spot on. Very pleased with my experience so far!

Been waiting for a prefit for 11 months from Straight Jacket. I don’t consider that stellar in any regard.

Reactions: RockyMntUt
20211212_134509.jpg

Initial load test (30 rds, 3 shot group ladder) is looking promising!
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-12-12 13:55:44.571279.jpg

They chambered, cerakoted, and installed a barrel onto an Origin for my brother recently. Only took 2 weeks or so. If you have the parts, the process will go a lot quicker.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
I received my barreled action from them Monday this week. I got a impact 737r with a 26inch MTU chambered in 6.5x47 lapua, throated for 140 hybrids. The barrel was done months ago and just had to wait for the action. I scopes the barrel and he does excellent machine work, but the customer service is what does it for me. He called me from his personal cell phone to discuss what I wanted since this is my first custom build and talked me through what ever questions I had. While waiting for the action, which I paid for back in June, I would email him every couple weeks and he would respond immediately letting me know what's going on. He told me from the start it was gonna be awhile due to not having the actions so I knew that. Excellent company, and when you can get the owner on the phone, that's makes a difference. I will be giving them my money in the future

I just picked up my first SJA barrel a few months ago for a Tikka PRS comp build. 26" Benchmark in 6.5CM with m24 contour. Hammered straight out of the gate with my previous reloads. It's been a while now, but I want to say that the group below was shots 11-15 down the barrel and it held that same accuracy at 600 yards.

In the past I've used prefits from other shops that also shot well, but the SJA certainly had the best fit/finish. Every time I spoke with them while ordering or while changing my shipping info Nick & team were a pleasure to chat with on the phone. Customer service is excellent. I certainly plan on using them for my barrels moving forward.

Attachments

• 2021-11-14_12-42-10_053.jpg
    2021-11-14_12-42-10_053.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 95
Have you guys asked what the hold up is. Everybody has long lead times due to the cluster fuck supply chain system going on
I have. The last time i talked to them they switched my Zeus action out because apparently they ended their relationship with Terminus. I accepted the switch to a curtis custom to just get my action in the beginning of January. Well, that was weeks ago now so i'm starting to get very upset. I already missed being able to participate in a local sniper comp back in December...

I have. The last time i talked to them they switched my Zeus action out because apparently they ended their relationship with Terminus. I accepted the switch to a curtis custom to just get my action in the beginning of January. Well, that was weeks ago now so i'm starting to get very upset. I already missed being able to participate in a local sniper comp back in December...
That sucks man, so he had a terminus but had to give it back or he can't get them at all because of the falling out?

That sucks man, so he had a terminus but had to give it back or he can't get them at all because of the falling out?
The latter. I'm not mad at him, im just upset. When you offer to switch something out and then promise a date of early January after someone has already been waiting 9 months...and then dont meet that date, then I start to get pissed.

It's pretty sad that I got my RC2 approved before getting this barreled action in.

The latter. I'm not mad at him, im just upset. When you offer to switch something out and then promise a date of early January after someone has already been waiting 9 months...and then dont meet that date, then I start to get pissed.

It's pretty sad that I got my RC2 approved before getting this barreled action in.
That fucking sucks man

Reactions: clonebuilder
I had terrible experience with them Jan 2021 bought a barreled action 30 sherman from a forum member nick still had at his shop (I called nick up to verify everything before I purchased) oh yeah man just needs a stock...so we agreed on a eh1 he had then a month later all the lies started every claim ya could think of ..started saying that the forum member lied which was complete b.s. cause nick himself confirmed everything...after a year wait an several pissed off phone calls he agreed to refund check when I said I was getting the atf involved.....then 4 or 5 weeks later I received a check with $400 missing this is the most piss poor custom builder I've dealt with I wouldn't recommend getting caught up in the bull especially after more forum members here an lrh I've talked with has dealt with the same from straight jacket

I had terrible experience with them Jan 2021 bought a barreled action 30 sherman from a forum member nick still had at his shop (I called nick up to verify everything before I purchased) oh yeah man just needs a stock...so we agreed on a eh1 he had then a month later all the lies started every claim ya could think of ..started saying that the forum member lied which was complete b.s. cause nick himself confirmed everything...after a year wait an several pissed off phone calls he agreed to refund check when I said I was getting the atf involved.....then 4 or 5 weeks later I received a check with $400 missing this is the most piss poor custom builder I've dealt with I wouldn't recommend getting caught up in the bull especially after more forum members here an lrh I've talked with has dealt with the same from straight jacket
He didn't square up with you, he kept 400 of it? Did he give a reason at all, have you called again. I had a good experience but I want to make sure it's not a one time thing

Dude I'm never calling him again it was too the point if I didn't get my check I was heading to his shop if it cost me 15k it was the whole point of it I've got 10 custom guns and I will never recommend anyone do business there after I heard so many lies the check said minus credit card fees I didn't pay credit card.... he is like dealing with the government in my book.....I'm not the type to rant on businesses but it was so awful I don't want other good ppl to have to deal with it

Dude I'm never calling him again it was too the point if I didn't get my check I was heading to his shop if it cost me 15k it was the whole point of it I've got 10 custom guns and I will never recommend anyone do business there after I heard so many lies the check said minus credit card fees I didn't pay credit card.... he is like dealing with the government in my book.....I'm not the type to rant on businesses but it was so awful I don't want other good ppl to have to deal with it
Well credit card fees are not 400 bucks, wtf. Makes me nervous about having him do more work for me. Fuck

• Wow
Reactions: tex68w
Hopefully you get lucky...I'm patient when it comes to quality work but all the lies is a bunch if crap especially when the 1st phone call he sad yeah man it just needs a stock the b.a is complete I can put it in a eh1 an bed it for ya this month then over a yr later still no gun an a new lie every 3 weeks

Hopefully you get lucky...I'm patient when it comes to quality work but all the lies is a bunch if crap especially when the 1st phone call he sad yeah man it just needs a stock the b.a is complete I can put it in a eh1 an bed it for ya this month then over a yr later still no gun an a new lie every 3 weeks
Can u gimme some of the lies he fed you, not a detailed word for word but what was he lieing about for a year. How busy he was or whether or not he actually could get the stock you wanted. I assume you paid for the barreled action and the stock but he couldn't get it and was stringing you along. I've got a decision to make now on those guys and maybe hearing more about your experience will help

It was all supposed to be there in his hands on the shelves then he said that it was a 6.5 prc instead of a sherman and started blaming the forum member had lied which is bogus cause nick confirmed everything b4 I payed...then later on said they sent the wrong action...next proof sent wrong twist barrels....then covid had his shop shut down but yet was updating everyone on Facebook on glock and pistol upgrades mhmmm.....next he said call on oct 31 after he was back from vacation it will be done we will get ffl......called in Nov oh were waiting on bedding materials that's when I blew up!!!

It was all supposed to be there in his hands on the shelves then he said that it was a 6.5 prc instead of a sherman and started blaming the forum member had lied which is bogus cause nick confirmed everything b4 I payed...then later on said they sent the wrong action...next proof sent wrong twist barrels....then covid had his shop shut down but yet was updating everyone on Facebook on glock and pistol upgrades mhmmm.....next he said call on oct 31 after he was back from vacation it will be done we will get ffl......called in Nov oh were waiting on bedding materials that's when I blew up!!!
O my God, that's a cluster fuck. So every piece of that build was lied about. Now I feel like I was lucky on my deal. I may end up going else where to have my barrels chambered, shame cuz he did do a excellent job on the chambering

Every one says they shoot once they get um but once you deal with his crap I wouldn't buy or have one of his guns if they gave it to me

Every one says they shoot once they get um but once you deal with his crap I wouldn't buy or have one of his guns if they gave it to me
Right, the work that was done was excellent but if u gotta deal with nonsense then I dunno. This time around I'm gonna have a blank sent to him to he chambered so I would hope there wouldn't be a bunch of shit involved to get that done, but maybe I'll look around for somebody else in the mean time. I won't have the blank till December so I got time to figure that part out

My purchase experience was not great. Ordered rifle back in May21 was told 6-8 week pretty confident about delivery date. Gave them benefit of a doubt Called them December and was told sorry no barrel still. Nick is really nice on the phone but be cautious about his stuff being in stock. If you try to cancel he will charge you(little unfair), even if he was not straight up with you. His page does state restocking fee (my fault) but ordering over the phone, he should tell the customer since I am sure other people won't read it when they call in. If it goes too far, you better call them and keep on them because, they will not even contact you till you say something. Will not do business with this company again. Lie he told us was he had actions(may21) and no barrel but coming in less then a month, today is no action but have the barrel. He probably wanted to move product to someone that wanted that items in hand and make you wait since he had only 1/2 of the items ordered even if you ordered ahead of the person. Still waiting to see if he can make things right but will update as soon as I hear anything.

Last edited:
Sounds like the same issues with me good luck tell him your contacting the atf he will get things rolling he is pathetic in my book

This company stold $226.39 from me. Long story short I paid this company 1,227.05 to chamber a Bartlein barrel for me. Nick calls me and gives me the opportunity to cancel my order because he was annoyed with all the status updates I was requesting. After I take him up on his offer he kept $226.39 out of my $1,227.05 I paid him.

Nick approached me with the opportunity to cancel my order and then turns around and steels $226.39 from me. Take this for what its worth.

Reactions: Rexwagon
This company stold $226.39 from me. Long story short I paid this company 1,227.05 to chamber a Bartlein barrel for me. Nick calls me and gives me the opportunity to cancel my order because he was annoyed with all the status updates I was requesting. After I take him up on his offer he kept $226.39 out of my $1,227.05 I paid him.

Nick approached me with the opportunity to cancel my order and then turns around and steels $226.39 from me. Take this for what its worth.

The fee is on his site, he’s operating an extraordinarily in demand business and dealing with clients is a part of the services he’s offering. That’s reasonable at the end of the day.

What’s unreasonable and unprofessional is making a claim of theft and publicly slandering a company.

Same experience as a lot of other here...

Got the call from Nick, easy to talk shop with and really impressed with getting the call from a online inquiry. He eluded to having the specific barrel I was looking for in stock and could delivery by late Jan-early Feb (2023) so I bit and made the order. Did some research after the fact and decided to confirm barrel was in stock or another similar profile so sent a email request. Response said nope not in stock, but should get some of a different profile in the next few weeks or I could upgrade to carbon. I declined both and asked for a refund. Almost immediately received a call I could not take followed by a cancellation notice with bartleins contact Info and a refund short of 25$ cancellation fee.

My conclusion is this was a 25$ lesson. I know better than to not ask specific questions and got sold over the phone.

Same experience as a lot of other here...

Got the call from Nick, easy to talk shop with and really impressed with getting the call from a online inquiry. He eluded to having the specific barrel I was looking for in stock and could delivery by late Jan-early Feb (2023) so I bit and made the order. Did some research after the fact and decided to confirm barrel was in stock or another similar profile so sent a email request. Response said nope not in stock, but should get some of a different profile in the next few weeks or I could upgrade to carbon. I declined both and asked for a refund. Almost immediately received a call I could not take followed by a cancellation notice with bartleins contact Info and a refund short of 25$ cancellation fee.

My conclusion is this was a 25$ lesson. I know better than to not ask specific questions and got sold over the phone.
Your not the first person he steels money from and you wont be the last either. Take your business to GA Precision. GA precision has the best customer service and better pricing along with better work. Stop doing business with this thief.