• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Jacket Armory

mxjoe35

Owner of Match Proven Rifles
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2019
    Suwanee, GA
    matchprovenrifles.com
    Ok, I need some advice. I'm looking for a reasonably priced long range rifle. In a facebook group 6.5 PRC, somebody recommended Straight Jacket Armory. They have a rifle specs below for $2,175. I can't find much on the internet about them. Do they make a good rifle? And is what they are offering worth the price?

Specs:
    Big Horn Origin Action
    Stainless match barrel (24" Heavy Paulma ) Cerakote Black
    Timney trigger
    Oryx Chassis

Thanks in advance!

3 friends that use Straight Jacket Rifles have said that the rifle’s performance exceeded the price range. They all have said the customer service was amazing as well. I have shot one of them recently for 60 rounds and feel strongly enough to know that I will be purchasing from them in the next year.

3 friends that use Straight Jacket Rifles have said that the rifle’s performance exceeded the price range. They all have said the customer service was amazing as well. I have shot one of them recently for 60 rounds and feel strongly enough to know that I will be purchasing from them in the next year.
    Thanks Felhammer!

(one Small disclaimer) the rifle that I shot was of the $3600-$4200 verity. That being said it shot just as well as my AI that retailed around $6000. The rifle in the original post is not in circulation yet or at least not here. That aside, this will be the rifle I purchase next. I will purchase it with a .473 bolt face and a .540 bolt face with 2 barrels one chambered in 25CM and one in 6.5 PRC. I have no doubt that this rifle will have competitors rethinking what defines an entry level rifle.

(one Small disclaimer) the rifle that I shot was of the $3600-$4200 verity. That being said it shot just as well as my AI that retailed around $6000. The rifle in the original post is not in circulation yet or at least not here. That aside, this will be the rifle I purchase next. I will purchase it with a .473 bolt face and a .540 bolt face with 2 barrels one chambered in 25CM and one in 6.5 PRC. I have no doubt that this rifle will have competitors rethinking what defines an entry level rifle.
    Well you answered my question, I think I'll get it. Now...carbon fiber or steel? Is carbon fiber worth it? Lol

Straight Jacket Armory is local to me and I can’t say enough good things about them. Their lead times and prices are reasonable. The quality of their work is superb. Customer service is as good as it gets.

The owners Nick & Tristen (father & son) are good, trustworthy guys who are growing their business right... Quietly building their reputation while investing in the equipment needed to keep lead times down & quality up. Every time I stop by the shop it seems like there’s a new high-quality piece of equipment installed. The last visit was a shocker, new HAAS TL1 & TL2 lathes!

They’re doing prefit barrels for all kinds of actions and a lot of other cool stuff is in the works. My guess is it’s just a matter of time before they’re a commonly heard name in the industry.

Anyway, I’m not affiliated with them, just happy to finally have a good, trustworthy shop nearby.

OP, sorry almost forgot to answer your original question. Yes, they make very accurate rifles. Fair number of guys around here doing very well in PRS/NRL matches with Straight Jacket builds. The work they did on my match rifle certainly improved its performance.

OP, sorry almost forgot to answer your original question. Yes, they make very accurate rifles. Fair number of guys around here doing very well in PRS/NRL matches with Straight Jacket builds. The work they did on my match rifle certainly improved its performance.
    Thanks!

Straight Jacket Armory is local to me and I can’t say enough good things about them. Their lead times and prices are reasonable. The quality of their work is superb. Customer service is as good as it gets.

The owners Nick & Tristen (father & son) are good, trustworthy guys who are growing their business right... Quietly building their reputation while investing in the equipment needed to keep lead times down & quality up. Every time I stop by the shop it seems like there’s a new high-quality piece of equipment installed. The last visit was a shocker, new HAAS TL1 & TL2 lathes!

They’re doing prefit barrels for all kinds of actions and a lot of other cool stuff is in the works. My guess is it’s just a matter of time before they’re a commonly heard name in the industry.

Anyway, I’m not affiliated with them, just happy to finally have a good, trustworthy shop nearby.
    Thanks, very helpful!

Just placed an order with Straight Jacket Armory. Oryx rifle with 6mm CM and 6.5 PRC chamberings. I’m pumped! I can’t say enough about the customer service. I work from 10:00pm to 2pm Friday through Tuesday and 12:00am to 8:00am on Wednesday so I’m always emailing at strange hours. I never expect to get an answer back until the next day during business hours. However, I get a reply within an hour most instances. Nick has been great with helping me get this project solidified. I can’t say enough.

I was just looking at a pre fit barrel from straight jacket. Looks to be a good value.

Old thread, but what are their turn-around times? I called in but forgot to ask. Forgot who i spoke too. I did order the Proof Competition contour, so based on their web page roughly 16 weeks at most?

Last edited:
    Old thread, but what are their turn-around times? I called in but forgot to ask. Forgot who i spoke too. I did order the Proof Competition contour, so based on their web page roughly 16 weeks at most?

Mine took around 8 weeks. It was worth it, though. Absolute hammer. Picked up some good speed, too! Barrel for curtis vector.

Thanks! @Lunchbox27
    I bought ProofCompContour for a Terminus Zeus and one for a BigHorn TL3, both are 26"

How many rounds have you put through your bbl? And is it still speeding up? Cut rifled? Or button?

Thanks!

Mine is a proof stainless. I have 300 rounds on it now (6mm) 26”. It sped up around 150 rounds. Went from 3045 fps to 3100 fps with factory 6creed hornady.

This is my second Proof stainless. I have one on my Tikka, too. Both are lasers.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dooby
    I ordered a 6.5 cm for my Origin. On the phone, they say they use Benchmark barrels for the prefits unless you ask for the Proof SS.

Just received a prefit for a LPA Fuzion yesterday. Proof stainless and arrived in a little under 6 weeks.

You guys with SJA bbls, can you post some shot group photos?

Are you getting regular <1/2" 3-5shot groups? I usually do 5-shot groups.

thanks!

Top 3 were mine.

AIAT 24in SJA 6 Creedmoor.

Bottom 3 were my buddies from a RAP.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_092015_181.jpg
      IMG_20190627_092015_181.jpg
      289.8 KB · Views: 263
    Nick and Tristen are stand up guys with great guns and awesome customer service!!

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
    Got my PCC bbl in yesterday and torqued on my TL3. Man! That PCC STRAIGHT TAPER contour is sweet! Nice thick muzzle, looks good with the Area 419 brake!

I didn't realize the Proof was 4groove. Hoping to shoot it this weekend.

2nd bbl for the Terminus Zeus, I switched the order to a VCC contour (Benchmark bbl). They offered if i wanted to do a M24, they had it in stock and wanted to get me both bbls. I declined and asked if i could try/switch to the Benchmark VCC contour, they were OK with that! The VCC contour is even thicker than the Proof Competition.

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_103108.jpg
      IMG_20200110_103108.jpg
      313.6 KB · Views: 239
    • IMG_20200110_103035~2.jpg
      IMG_20200110_103035~2.jpg
      327.1 KB · Views: 227
    Got my PCC bbl in yesterday and torqued on my TL3. Man! That PCC STRAIGHT TAPER contour is sweet! Nice thick muzzle, looks good with the Area 419 brake!

I didn't realize the Proof was 4groove. Hoping to shoot it this weekend.

2nd bbl for the Terminus Zeus, I switched the order to a VCC contour (Benchmark bbl). They offered if i wanted to do a M24, they had it in stock and wanted to get me both bbls. I declined and asked if i could try/switch to the Benchmark VCC contour, they were OK with that! The VCC contour is even thicker than the Proof Competition.

What was your order date for the barrels?

I just ordered a 6.5x47L origin prefit in medium palma on 1/6/20. Was quoted about 4 weeks. Hopefully get it then or sooner

Holy Cow! Went to zero my rifle today and the bbl is accurate! 1st 3 shots went through the same hole. This is while I had a bit of the shivers (cold and windy today), a bit in a hurry cuz the range was closing soon. Shot using factory Hornady 140 ELD-M (81500). Seems to be much more accurate than my other bbls. Will have to test some reloads and shoot it some more to confirm.

Attached, is a 4-shot group @ 100yds. Shot this pretty quick. I think the heavy contour helped get back to target and easier to line up and hold cross hairs steady.

Proof Competition Contour @ 26", 6.5 Creedmoor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-174909.png
      Screenshot_20200112-174909.png
      1.5 MB · Views: 245
    Last edited:
    Yep I'll vouch for there work to I sent them my impact action for them to get dimensions so they could offer the impact prefits. I had that barrel done in 6br. Then has them do up a barrel for my Curtis. Unfortunately I like my Curtis Action better so pulled the be off and sold the impact and will return it for a rework for the Curtis .

Both barrels are outstanding

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
    Holy Cow! Went to zero my rifle today and the bbl is accurate! 1st 3 shots went through the same hole. This is while I had a bit of the shivers (cold and windy today), a bit in a hurry cuz the range was closing soon. Shot using factory Hornady 140 ELD-M (81500). Seems to be much more accurate than my other bbls. Will have to test some reloads and shoot it some more to confirm.

Attached, is a 4-shot group @ 100yds. Shot this pretty quick. I think the heavy contour helped get back to target and easier to line up and hold cross hairs steady.

Proof Competition Contour @ 26", 6.5 Creedmoor.

Solid shooting! I have 2 Proof barrels now and I am very happy with their performance. I’m ordering my 308 this week (another Proof for my Vector). My Proof 6 Creed from Straight Jacket is a hammer.

Last edited:
    You guys with SJA bbls, can you post some shot group photos?

Are you getting regular <1/2" 3-5shot groups? I usually do 5-shot groups.

thanks!
    20 shot group @ 100 out of a proof 7 saum Seekins action that straight jacket built for me. Measured .740”. They know how to build rifles! This group was just fire forming brass.

Attachments

• 7E2B3132-86ED-4983-93BA-954CC03D1F4D.jpeg
      7E2B3132-86ED-4983-93BA-954CC03D1F4D.jpeg
      279.6 KB · Views: 149
    Reactions: rydah and Dooby