• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight jacket barrels

BoulderE89

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
St. George, UT
I’ve been wanting to build a 6mm match rifle (only shot 6.5 CM so far) but barrel life is a bummer. If one were to get something like 6CM straight jacketed to dissipate the heat quickly, would that improve the barre life? I’m aware they are expensive but it’s worth it if I don’t have to rebarrel as frequently.

it wont make a big difference. I have had proof barrels before and the barrel life isn't any different. The real savings here is on weight.
Yes but proof barrels won’t dissipate heat nearly as well as a straight jacket system. Carbon fiber conducts heat down the filament, not across. I’m asking specifically about straight jacket barrels, not carbon fiber wrapped

I never heard of the process but if it is what I just googled, You can buy two prefit barrels to one of the jacketed barrels. What's the point? Seems like you will pay twice as much for a theoretical 10% increase in barrel life.

Hi,

Dissipating heat does not really do anything with the flame/ignition temperature that the barrel is still subjected to, yes this "may" cool down faster but the throat area is still getting the SAME flame/ignition temperature aka burning it out as a regular barrel.

Sincerely,
Theis
The question that I have in that regard is, what is it that actually promotes throat wear... is it flame/ignition temperature, average/sustained temperature, or a combination thereof? In other words, assuming that the same ammo is used under the same atmospheric conditions, is throat wear going to occur at the same rate (in terms of rounds fired) if the barrel is allowed to cool completely between rounds fired as it would if used in a heavy firing schedule?

Conventional wisdom would suggest that the hotter the throat, the faster the wear. This is where the theory of chamber/throat cooling (or heat dissipation, if you prefer) lives... I certainly don't have enough knowledge/experience to argue it with hard facts/data. That said, assuming that the conventional wisdom is correct regarding hotter throats wearing faster ("faster" in this context referring to the number of rounds fired rather than time), I can see how pulling heat out of the chamber/throat area would promote greater barrel (well, throat) life.

Reactions: BoulderE89
There are a number of guys running NRL/PRS that provide a pretty robust data set on bbl life span...maybe the guys at the Precision Rifle Blog wanna take this on...

I never heard of the process but if it is what I just googled, You can buy two prefit barrels to one of the jacketed barrels. What's the point? Seems like you will pay twice as much for a theoretical 10% increase in barrel life.
You save time and costs in not paying a gunsmith to rebarrel the second time, not having to test which loads and bullets your new barrel likes a second time (even if it’s the same brand, every barrel is unique) just to name a few. I find value in continuing to use the same barrel for longer. Plus dracos claims they’ll replace your barrel for free if you’re able to shoot it out. Just wondering if anyone has numbers on how much longer these things last compared to a heavy profile SS barrel

There are a number of guys running NRL/PRS that provide a pretty robust data set on bbl life span...maybe the guys at the Precision Rifle Blog wanna take this on...
I would love an answer on this too. If heat dissipation really promotes barrel life, I’m game. If the chamber and throat of the barrel lose its life the same regardless of the dissipation, I’ll probably stick with 6.5CM and get more bang for the buck

gonna sayof all the companies that might be right about it it’s probably proof.

They make the composite leading edges for supersonic aircraft wings, which have to wick heat away or self destruct.
Doesn’t that prove it’s an insulator? It protects the wings from heat of friction moving through the air against the wing right?

Think about going 6mm GT, supposedly has the same performance as 6mm and may have better barrel life. I have 700 rounds now and I'll continue how many rounds the barrel can take.

You save time and costs in not paying a gunsmith to rebarrel the second time, not having to test which loads and bullets your new barrel likes a second time (even if it’s the same brand, every barrel is unique) just to name a few. I find value in continuing to use the same barrel for longer. Plus dracos claims they’ll replace your barrel for free if you’re able to shoot it out. Just wondering if anyone has numbers on how much longer these things last compared to a heavy profile SS barrel
I seriously doubt you will see double the barrel life. Probably not even close. I have no proof to back it up other than using the logic that @THEIS stated. I would wager a good sum of money that it is all marketing BS. There are thousands upon thousands of products that make bold claims where very few hold up.

I’m not looking for double barrel life, just extended. Plus if they replace it like dracos claims they do When it’s shot out it’s definitely worth the money. Maybe 6GT is the move. How much more barrel life is it supposed to have? I couldn’t find definitive numbers.

I’m not looking for double barrel life, just extended. Plus if they replace it like dracos claims they do When it’s shot out it’s definitely worth the money. Maybe 6GT is the move. How much more barrel life is it supposed to have? I couldn’t find definitive numbers.
They are marketing a barrel that cannot be shot out? You better get their definition of a shot out barrel. I bet it is different than what is considered shot out here. I have a feeling you will have $1400 tied up in this barrel and you will be done with it at a similar round count and they will not replace it for free. Hell Ill bet my paycheck on that b

Hi,

In regards to ignition heat vs sustained heat.....

Unless I am mistaken more metal is cracked, chipped and warped from applying heat too fast or quenching too fast during heat treatment than from steady increase of heat or quenching at proper temperature.

That is pretty much all I need to know in order of what to assume affects barrel life more/less.

This guy would know more about heat and alloys than I do... @gnochi

Sincerely,
Theis

They are marketing a barrel that cannot be shot out? You better get their definition of a shot out barrel. I bet it is different than what is considered shot out here. I have a feeling you will have $1400 tied up in this barrel and you will be done with it at a similar round count and they will not replace it for free. Hell Ill bet my paycheck on that b
I emailed them earlier today to find out their definition of shot out and needs replacing. I’ll let you know if you’re buying my barrel lol

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big
I emailed them earlier today to find out their definition of shot out and needs replacing. I’ll let you know if you’re buying my barrel lol
I would appreciate that. Lol. Let us know their reply. I could be way off. I’m just speculating of course.

Hi,

From their website:

To back up our claim, we offer a 100% money back guarantee and an industry standard LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY on the barrel for defects in material or manufacturing. The warranty covers functionality issues. This does not cover cosmetic blemishes, standard wear and tear or damage due to mishandling.

Also..their website says they do not make bolt gun barrels in the FAQ but they are listed in the "shop" section....

Sincerely,
Theis

When they first came out I remember they made the claim of replacing barrels once it was shot out. 2 years ago I called and asked them about it and they definitely changed their stance on the matter.

Hi,

From their website:

To back up our claim, we offer a 100% money back guarantee and an industry standard LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY on the barrel for defects in material or manufacturing. The warranty covers functionality issues. This does not cover cosmetic blemishes, standard wear and tear or damage due to mishandling.

Also..their website says they do not make bolt gun barrels in the FAQ but they are listed in the "shop" section....

Sincerely,
Theis
Good find, ya guess they really changed their stance on replacing barrels since they first started out....maybe not worth my time. It’s way odd they say that but show on their shop they offer bolt action ones. This may be a little less established than I was led to believe. 6GT or multiple prefit 6CM barrels may be my only hope

Carbon is not really an insulator. Diamonds conduct temperature faster than metal.

It’s more like an insulator when you have a sheet of carbon (like a barrel wrapped in CF). carbon is a good conductor only along the length of the strand of the fiber, not across.

Some folks have done some testing on barrel temps, life and heat dissipation.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/carbon-wrapped-barrel-heat-test.88979/
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/09/practical-tips-to-extend-barrel-life/

You can chase some additional links and info from those. The Hide post mirrors another test I've seen done. If someone makes a CF barrel that dissipates heat as/more effectively than steel, I haven't seen it substantiated. The flip side is that a heavier barrel absorbs more heat as well.

The rifle pictured is a Browning BBR in 7Mag thats been Straightjacketed. Sometimes I get a little eager and after reading about what the straightjacket could do for this barrel burner I didnt even fire it after it was given to me. I sent it in for the process. At that time they were doing a carbon steel jacket, I think now its only aluminum and Ti or maybe stainless. At the time I was probably 50 years old. Been shooting since I was a little tyke and while not an absolute marksman I could generally quiet the laughter from those waiting for me to take a shot they thought wasnt a very likely hit. After getting it back I took it to a hunters sight in shoot at a private range. 36 benches, 18 spotters. Well, I had forgotten to bore sight it. Had a windage adjustable base. First shots were three lanes left and about 4 feet high. Needless to say it took a bit to get it on target, in a hurry, with 36 shooters and a line of shooters waiting to get in to sight theirs in. The spotter, not unfoundedly, figured I was a complete dope and long story short, after running out to the truck for a screwdriver to adjust the base, rounds 31, 32, 33 all but dead center in the 10 ring could be covered with a dime and you could pick the rifle up by the barrel. Cost to me at the time was a little less than $500 including shipping. I have since did a bunch of ammo testing and found I got extremely lucky and hit the sweet spot with RP cases, 63.5G's of IMR 4350, CCI primers and 120 Nosler 28120's which is a 120g sp. I'm trying to find the guy again to see if he can do a 30.06 for me. Probably going to be around $750 this time but to me, as opposed to sending a rifle to a gunsmith to have it accurized I'm thinking this is absolutely the way to go. Oh and, your wife or daughter could send a couple hundred rounds with that 7Mag in an afternoon and tell you how much fun it was as opposed to telling you their shoulder was killing them. Less kick than an AR, LESS.........

Attachments

• BBR.jpg
    BBR.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 31
Yeah, I guess it was informational only as you cant get them anymore. So to be clear mine was Teludyne Tech and not Dracos. I looked into them about a year or two ago and I guess one of the Teludyne guys was still putting them together out of his home. I'm just north of the Red River in SE Oklahoma if you'd care to witness it yourself.

The rifle pictured is a Browning BBR in 7Mag thats been Straightjacketed. Sometimes I get a little eager and after reading about what the straightjacket could do for this barrel burner I didnt even fire it after it was given to me. I sent it in for the process. At that time they were doing a carbon steel jacket, I think now its only aluminum and Ti or maybe stainless. At the time I was probably 50 years old. Been shooting since I was a little tyke and while not an absolute marksman I could generally quiet the laughter from those waiting for me to take a shot they thought wasnt a very likely hit. After getting it back I took it to a hunters sight in shoot at a private range. 36 benches, 18 spotters. Well, I had forgotten to bore sight it. Had a windage adjustable base. First shots were three lanes left and about 4 feet high. Needless to say it took a bit to get it on target, in a hurry, with 36 shooters and a line of shooters waiting to get in to sight theirs in. The spotter, not unfoundedly, figured I was a complete dope and long story short, after running out to the truck for a screwdriver to adjust the base, rounds 31, 32, 33 all but dead center in the 10 ring could be covered with a dime and you could pick the rifle up by the barrel. Cost to me at the time was a little less than $500 including shipping. I have since did a bunch of ammo testing and found I got extremely lucky and hit the sweet spot with RP cases, 63.5G's of IMR 4350, CCI primers and 120 Nosler 28120's which is a 120g sp. I'm trying to find the guy again to see if he can do a 30.06 for me. Probably going to be around $750 this time but to me, as opposed to sending a rifle to a gunsmith to have it accurized I'm thinking this is absolutely the way to go. Oh and, your wife or daughter could send a couple hundred rounds with that 7Mag in an afternoon and tell you how much fun it was as opposed to telling you their shoulder was killing them. Less kick than an AR, LESS.........
I can no longer find the Straight Jacket manufacturer's contact. The original Teludyne company should have shut down and sold the system to the Falkor company, but I can't find anything on their website... do you by chance know any other contacts? Thanks