• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight pull AR

Doing my part

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2020
I have started shooting competitions here in the UK, usually multi target with a timing element.

Laws here suck so I'm stuck with single shot only for anything centrefire, and the guys doing well all use AR pattern guns, so that's what I'm after.

Schmeisser seems to be popular, but I have also found a couple which look interesting... I was thinking if I can keep my grip hand and cheek weld while charging, it'll help so I'm thinking left hand charging.

https://www.riflemanfirearms.com/steyr-arms-aug-spr-straight-pull-rifle/p44701
New steyr. Left hand charge handle. Shitty trigger (?)

https://www.silverstoneshootingcentre.co.uk/product/guncraft-ar15-straight-pull/
AR with a left hand charge handle. Better spare parts?

And thoughts on the above or alternative ideas please?

Looks like it can use standard AR triggers. Not sure if you can get trigger tech diamonds over there but they are easy to change and adjust to really give you a great trigger pull.

Reactions: Doing my part

These guys make some “bolt action ar upper receivers”… a little pricey and it’s not a straight pull but you get the idea

Reactions: oldrifleman
Honestly, I think personally if I was faced with / stuck with the UK laws, I would get a MDT or ADM or similar chassis and build a bolt gun which would comply with your single shot requirements, the chassis will give you all the adjustability and feel of an AR pattern rifle, but you will have a more precision based platform.

Reactions: oldrifleman
Honestly, I think personally if I was faced with / stuck with the UK laws, I would get a MDT or ADM or similar chassis and build a bolt gun which would comply with your single shot requirements, the chassis will give you all the adjustability and feel of an AR pattern rifle, but you will have a more precision based platform.
I have a precision rifle. This is not that.

Stages run 5 positions with 5 targets, at a maximum of 100m and have a timed element.

I would like a compliant straight pull black gun which I can shoot quickly.

Reactions: 16VGTIDave
I have started shooting competitions here in the UK, usually multi target with a timing element.

Laws here suck so I'm stuck with single shot only for anything centrefire, and the guys doing well all use AR pattern guns, so that's what I'm after.

Schmeisser seems to be popular, but I have also found a couple which look interesting... I was thinking if I can keep my grip hand and cheek weld while charging, it'll help so I'm thinking left hand charging.

https://www.riflemanfirearms.com/steyr-arms-aug-spr-straight-pull-rifle/p44701
New steyr. Left hand charge handle. Shitty trigger (?)

https://www.silverstoneshootingcentre.co.uk/product/guncraft-ar15-straight-pull/
AR with a left hand charge handle. Better spare parts?

And thoughts on the above or alternative ideas please?

I always thought the Lantac raven system was cool.

YHJ3y5dm.gif

I've actually been thinking of building a straight pull SBR in .300BO using a Lantac upper/BCG. I would think especially for multiple targets, using your dominant/trigger hand for charging would be faster since your left/non-dominant hand is supporting more of the rifle weight.

I just use a bear creek arsenal side charging upper and bcg to build my own. Take out the buffer tube and spring, no gas port. This effectively makes it a straight pull side charging bolt action.
What I find annoying with my setup is that some cartridges take quite a bit of force to unlock the bolt to get it out. I have narrowed it down to the brass being scratched on the feed ramp or barrel extension causing extra friction to rotate the brass with the bolt.
I have this set up in 223 Wylde, 224 Valkyrie, and 458 socom. The Valkyrie has the most issue with the bolt.
After some feed ramp polishing, and fixing the brass burrs, they function better.

I just use a bear creek arsenal side charging upper and bcg to build my own. Take out the buffer tube and spring, no gas port. This effectively makes it a straight pull side charging bolt action.
What I find annoying with my setup is that some cartridges take quite a bit of force to unlock the bolt to get it out. I have narrowed it down to the brass being scratched on the feed ramp or barrel extension causing extra friction to rotate the brass with the bolt.
I have this set up in 223 Wylde, 224 Valkyrie, and 458 socom. The Valkyrie has the most issue with the bolt.
After some feed ramp polishing, and fixing the brass burrs, they function better.
FWIW: As most here know, turn-bolt rifles produce extraction power with a cam that the opening movement uses to transfer force to break the fired cartridge loose from the chamber. Most (maybe all, I don't know for certain) successful straight-pulls centerfires have a mechanism at initial unlocking that adds leverage to the rearward impetus, such as in the Strasser with a bar driven by the bolt-handle, something that transfers rearward force to the front of the action to break the cartridge loose. That's why they have a sort of double pull effect rearward, with the actuating handle moving rearward a bit before propelling the bolt back. Charging handles are often designed to add leverage, but, I'd bet, not so effectively.