• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Straightening a bolt handle

krink85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
Sierra Vista AZ
I have a older 22 that i am using for a trainer. The bolt handle sits really close to the stock. I would like to straighten it out so I am able to get my fingers on it alittle better. I have a blow torch but before I go heating up the bolt hadle I figured I would ask here. Here are some pics of my delema.

DSC09833.jpg

DSC09834.jpg

Re: Straightening a bolt handle

I would try squeezing it in a vice without heat first.

Put pressure on the high spots until you get the angle you want.

Dissasemble the bolt and heat the handle near the knob with a torch. Use a heat absorber near the bolt body to take in any heat that tries to enter the bolt body. Bend the handle... by hitting it with a hammer if needed(or pinch it in a vise). Once it's where you want it, sand/buff out any marks left from bending it. Then refinish it with bluing or Cerakote.

Thats what I'd do

Dude you should fire the hell out of the welder who did whatever the hell that is in front of the TG, I am not sure I would let him touch the Bolt
smile.gif

Keith's advice seems pretty sound, hell he is a gunplumber thats at least worth something.

Well I guess I will fire my self! I had a great idea to make a camp rifle and if I were to need to pack in I would use that rifle. I bought a bolt and welded a small piece of metal to it so I have some leverage. It come apart in about 8 seconds. works for me and it doesnt have to be pretty to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Keith's advice seems pretty sound, hell he is a gunplumber thats at least worth something. </div></div>

Gunplumber in training.
Only a good boltplumber right now.

...I'm attending Yavapai right now. 20 more months....

Well Keith I do think you are well on your way on being a great gun plumber. I was alittle sad that my other 700 had a bolt knob on it. I was looking forward to sending it to you and getting some great work done. Maybe I will send it anyway when the money comes around.

Oh and the "heat absorbing thing" I talked about... I couldn't think of the name.

It's called a Heat sink. For bolts, most of them screw in where the shroud goes, or some homemade ones plug up the bolt making good contact.
Anything that sucks the heat away from the body will work fine.

In school we have to use one to bend a Mauser98 bolt handle straight.