• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strange barrel taper on factory Remington 700 5R

S12A

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Australia
I'm getting this Remington 700 5R in 223, it has a strange taper at the muzzle end with what looks like a factory cap.
Anyone have an idea what muzzle device this would be for?
Thanks

IMG_8185.JPG

Being a remington i thought it could be for some AAC or other affiliate brand suppressor or suppressor adapter/brake . I have seen a couple like it here but no info on the purpose

Sure looks like its for a relfex can. Sadly I cant say which one, never looked into actual models too much.
The purpose is that it attaches to your muzzle threads but it clocks onto that weird taper to center it at the butt too so that the can is supported at both the base and at the threads to make it a stiffer system while also allowing for more volume without adding even more additional length. Two points of contact is harder to bend than one.

Reactions: jcmullis2 and S12A
Sure looks like its for a relfex can. Sadly I cant say which one, never looked into actual models too much.
The purpose is that it attaches to your muzzle threads but it clocks onto that weird taper to center it at the butt too so that the can is supported at both the base and at the threads to make it a stiffer system while also allowing for more volume without adding even more additional length. Two points of contact is harder to bend than one.
Like the AEM-5 for Mk12’s

Maybe for a muzzle device similar to the surefire?

The AEM2, 3 & 4 cans use a similar-looking profile.

m4drawing.jpg