• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Strange Chrony behavior

aquinas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Il
Shooting a known load yesterday to get on paper at 600. No problems.

Set up chrony (master beta...they need to change that name) and tested 42.8 grains of H4895 with Nosler Custom Comp 168 HPBT CCI Br2 Primer and Winchester case.

A few days ago I stopped the test at 42.7 grains with good results. Previous ladder test said 42.6 to 42.9 were all possible good loads.

Velocity on 42.6 was 2480 to 2500 (10 shots)

Velocity on 42.7 was 2486 to 2526 (10 shots)

Yes, ES sucks, thank you.

Temps were comparable on this 2nd range session. When I sent the 42.8 load, chony showed 3040!

So I loaded known good load of 41.5 (same components) which I used to get on paper and shot that just to see. It actually chrony'd faster at 3162 and 3140!

So after 3 rounds, I called it quits. Hits, btw, were in the 10 ring.

No pressure signs out of the ordinary seen on spent cases. No primers backed out. No piercings. Took the bolt apart and all appears well.

Read in chrony instructions that bright light may cause behaviour problems. It was very sunny yesterday. So might not having the cord stretched all the way and so may radio interference. I was listening to the wind report on local NOAA with portable radio prior to test, but radio was off, i think, during shooting.

I'll go back and try it again.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: Strange Chrony behavior

I have to run a shade over my Chrony to get reliable velocities. Overcast days are the most consistent. Or I could just convince myself that my 22" 300WM really *does* shoot 208's @ 4000fps!
wink.gif

John

What does your shade consist of? I was thinking some pvc and plastic on top of that? What's better: wood or pvc or something else? 15 feet away is not that far.

We used a fold-up lawn shade, but it's big and bulky and not very portable. My shooting partner and I are designing one out of 1" PVC that can be staked in place and then broken down for transport. I'll post some pics when (if!) this project gets completed. Busy time of year!

John

Yeh light is a bitch.

I been wondering if you could use white material... like perhaps a thin white raincote, or rain proof jacket material.

It would be cool if you could just buy them and put them over the chrony and secure it with a zipper.

That way the light is consistent... I think.