• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strange extractor issues

MiNiAn

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2023
Manila
Long story short: wanted to build a 7 saum in long action.

So I bought a new rem 700 300 win mag long action only. Also bought brand new 7 saum prefit barrel and nut. Bought also PTG no go and go "300 RSAUM" apparently will also work with the 7 saum. Used the vise and put the barrel and action together with the gauges. Then I put the barreled action into a chassis.

Ok so as soon as I put everything together I wanted to see if the gun cycles before taking to the range. I put in a 300 saum converted to 7 saum rem case. (the 300 is once fired I bought from a friend, after annealing, f/l die, expander and neck turned I was able to get the case from 30 cal to .284) I put the case without bullet on top of magazine pushed the bolt and closed the bolt. Dry fired my trigger and started to pull the bolt back and instead of throwing the case out the side it sat on top of the magazine. I tried again with more speed and after 10 cases only 2 cases came out and not flung very far either.

I checked the ejector, removed, cleaned and oiled good height enough force.

Then I checked and cleaned the extractor claw and that too looked ok.

I decided to buy a new claw, a rivet as its a magnum and also anvil to peen the rivet.

I was about to change and I decided to try again before changing. This time I tried berstram brass from Australia actual 7 saum brass. I took some cases and this time it threw out the new brass. I could not believe it. WTF I knew that it was a brand new action never fired so it should not have had extraction issues unless its defective.
I looked at both the 300 saum that did not eject and the 7 saum that ejected. They both looked the same but the neck of the 7 saum is a tiny bit longer, which I knew when I was looking at the reloading books. Could this be the reason it did not eject????

I tried pulling the bolt slowly with both brass and I noticed that when the 300 saum was being pulled back it slide along the side of chamber but when it came to a certain point it would fall off the claw and sit on top of the mag. The 7 saum continued to hold the case all the way through until it hit the opening and out flew the case.

I was thinking since the bolt was meant for 300 wm the cases are long. Could the ejector spring have something to do with my issue? Are there different spring lengths for different case lengths???

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Can see this with 6BR brass in a short action too. The brass dimensions are allowing the case to turn sideways enough that the ejector is no longer in compression so the case can drop off. You may be able to fit a slightly longer ejector pin. The geometry of the end if the barrel/inside of action is obviously right on the limit of keeping the shorter catridge captive on the bolt face.

Reactions: MiNiAn and ShtrRdy
Maybe the headspace on the necked down brass is just short enough that it's not bottoming out in the chamber and allowing the extractor to get a good purchase on the rim.
Perhaps it will work after fire forming.

You possibly might need a touch more chamfer on the I.D. of your bolt nose. Need to post a good video or take it to a smith to figure out, as it could be a few different things.

Can see this with 6BR brass in a short action too. The brass dimensions are allowing the case to turn sideways enough that the ejector is no longer in compression so the case can drop off. You may be able to fit a slightly longer ejector pin. The geometry of the end if the barrel/inside of action is obviously right on the limit of keeping the shorter catridge captive on the bolt face.
Out of all the replies I believe this to be true as I can see this because the correct case the Bertram and Adg brass flew out of action not very far but far enough to exit which is good. Also with the other reply I will try with fire formed brass from the 300 saum and see if it improved.

I will try to do video.

IS The OAL also included in headspace? I thought it’s the length from head to shoulder?