• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strange mark on once fired brass I bought

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
So I got this once fired brass, .44mag. Within these were a few other cals, like 9mm, .357, etc, i assume by accident since I was getting .44 mag.

Anyways, every single piece, on the .44 mag, 9mm, .357 sig, .357 mag, etc...has an odd circle imprint on it. It's very slightly indented into the side of the brass. I've never seen this before.

Does anyone know what this is?

1j6udh.jpg

Re: Strange mark on once fired brass I bought

Who did you buy it from?
Was it a Commercial guy or a personal friend etc.Just ask the guy you got it from?

For shits and giggles does the circle match the case mouth diameter?

It came with a gun I bought, a private individual, but I don't know where he got it from.

The dia of the mark is much smaller than the case mouth.

Could this brass have been used in a test gun to check pressure. I believe the test gun will leave a mark on the brass.

I was wondering if that might be the case but I have no knowledge of how that works... And it's like 500 pcs all with that mark on them.

Looks like brass that has been pressure tested to me. There is some guy that sells a bunch of it in the classifieds here.

You could work up a fire forming load (reduced load) and see if it takes the mark out or if it really damaged the brass

You could work up a fire forming load (reduced load) and see if it takes the mark out or if it really damaged the brass

It's safe to shoot. I have about 3K .308 and a few thousand .223 with a similar mark. After a few sizings and tumblings it is hardly noticeable anymore. It has zero effect on the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: royboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could this brass have been used in a test gun to check pressure. I believe the test gun will leave a mark on the brass. </div></div>

Crod something sells this stuff, it's a pressure scribe and it's a 1x fired case from a P-test barrel.

Roy's exactly right, that's what it is.

Good news is that it doesn't seem to affect anything as far as I can see. In my 308 it shoots just as tight as regular, untested brass and in my 44mag I get similar #'s of reload cycles from it.

I have 1K of 223 brass with the same mark. As mentioned, the mark comes from the anvil on a pressure gauge when the brass is fired thru test barrels. Won't hurt a thing!!!