• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Strange problem with my DPMS....

toshu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Arizona
went to the range yesterday with my DPMS 308B. I had just mounted a new scope and need to zero the thing, but ended up having a tough time.

Rounds were not going where they should be and I noticed that when that happened, I sensed and heard a "delayed recoil" It was as if after the shot, the BCG , or recoil spring or even the charging handle bounced back ......

It was noticeable because it happened quite a few times, but not after each shot, but unfortunately could not clearly "see" what was happening.

Some thoughts...

Could it be that my BCG was too dry and not lubricated enough, thus hanging up?

Could it be that I was not holding the stock tight enough and that caused some BCG bounce?

Maybe there was a delay in the bolt unlocking??

Any ideas/ suggesting at what to look for would be appreciated.

Re: Strange problem with my DPMS....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">went to the range yesterday with my DPMS 308B. I had just mounted a new scope and need to zero the thing, but ended up having a tough time.

Rounds were not going where they should be and I noticed that when that happened, I sensed and heard a "delayed recoil" It was as if after the shot, the BCG , or recoil spring or even the charging handle bounced back ......

It was noticeable because it happened quite a few times, but not after each shot, but unfortunately could not clearly "see" what was happening.

Some thoughts...

Could it be that my BCG was too dry and not lubricated enough, thus hanging up?

Could it be that I was not holding the stock tight enough and that caused some BCG bounce?

Maybe there was a delay in the bolt unlocking??

Any ideas/ suggesting at what to look for would be appreciated.</div></div>

Does your model have an aluminum gas block? If so, they are notorious for gas blow by. In fact, most of the DPMS guns I have worked on that have had issues like that have been solved with replacement quality gas blocks. Issue is not enough gas in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixiejarhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Does your model have an aluminum gas block? If so, they are notorious for gas blow by. In fact, most of the DPMS guns I have worked on that have had issues like that have been solved with replacement quality gas blocks. Issue is not enough gas in my opinion. </div></div>

the gas block in this case is not original, but it probably is aluminum.

I have about 500 rounds thru the gun, and this just started happening.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixiejarhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Does your model have an aluminum gas block? If so, they are notorious for gas blow by. In fact, most of the DPMS guns I have worked on that have had issues like that have been solved with replacement quality gas blocks. Issue is not enough gas in my opinion. </div></div>

the gas block in this case is not original, but it probably is aluminum.

I have about 500 rounds thru the gun, and this just started happening.......</div></div>

Check with a magnet. If it's aluminum I can guarentee that is part of the problem. What sized barrel are you using for the gb area?