• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strange projectiles

STLSteve86

Overtorquer
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Has anyone seen these bullets before. They were given to me by a non reloader.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 188
I can get better pictures tonight. The 223 bullet came in a bag but the 30 cal bullets came in this can
The ones on the left look like the lapua D46 tje others not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_8414.png
    IMG_8414.png
    2 MB · Views: 69
Is there anything in the recesses on the bullet on the left ? Will the black coating come off on your hands ?

Are both the bullets, Moly Coated ?
The ones on ( R-side ), look like the old .. ' Barnes X' line of bullets . I still got a old partial box of 140 grn. 6.5 XLC that are dry film coated .
( L-side ) , are the Lapua D-46 rebate boat-tails .

Are both the bullets, Moly Coated ?
The ones on ( R-side ), look like the old .. ' Barnes X' line of bullets . I still got a old partial box of 140 grn. 6.5 XLC that are dry film coated .
( L-side ) , are the Lapua D-46 rebate boat-tails .
I remember the old xlc bullets but the coating was blue, pretty sure it was the same as Xylan used on fasteners for saltwater and high corrosion environments.

Is there anything in the recesses on the bullet on the left ? Will the black coating come off on your hands ?
A little bit of coating will rub on to my hands but not much. Look like graphite but I assumed it was moly coating. I will check the recessed area and post pictures

Here are some more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_8418.jpeg
    IMG_8418.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8419.jpeg
    IMG_8419.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8420.jpeg
    IMG_8420.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8424.jpeg
    IMG_8424.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 88
are they a Cal. that you shoot in your rifles , and are short on bullets ?.

also.. if all are Moly coated ? ..
'personally' , I never been to keen on the Moly as it is hydroscopic . I not sure of molybdenum particle micron size ? . but I think once Moly is worked into the Bore, it is there for the barrels lifespan .

Reactions: STLSteve86
had a rabbit that produced the same looking projectiles as those .
a whitworth rifle and bullet the oddest round I have personally ever seen and I still want one .
images

1684260530927.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS
are they a Cal. that you shoot in your rifles , and are short on bullets ?.

also.. if all are Moly coated ? ..
'personally' , I never been to keen on the Moly as it is hydroscopic . I not sure of molybdenum particle micron size ? . but I think once Moly is worked into the Bore, it is there for the barrels lifespan .
I’m not going to put moly in any of my barrels

If you have a caliber you can use them in why toss them.
I have removed moly from bullets running them in a tumbler with treated corn cob media.
Worked fine.
I wouldn’t be able to push them like a jacketed bullet so they arnt much use for me.

Reactions: XLR308
I can weight some more 30 cal bullets but they all were coming out about the same

I would hate to post this in the px if it’s not worth anything? I would like to move it though. Just taking up space