• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strange Raptar behavior today - anyone had similar?

Conqueror

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
North Central FL
I was getting dope on my rifle with a new 6.5CM barrel today. I have a Raptar S/ES up top. To verify my range I went to use the device and it kept saying "RNG T/O" which is the "Ranging function timed out" error message. I haven't seen this issue before. I was shooting at 100-300 yards and ranging a piece of white paper so there should be no reason for it to not detect a laser return signal. It was a hot, bright day and I was shooting prone from a shady area; there was a lot of ground-level mirage but I wouldn't think that should stop a laser like this one. I turned the device off and on several times and kept getting the same error code. The manual says the only thing to do in this circumstance is check the battery, so I removed and replaced it and got the same error (and it was indicated at over 80% battery power). I gave up and used a different device. Then I got home and tried it again, and the damn thing is working completely normally now.

Has anyone had this happen to their Raptar before? Is there a known issue I haven't read about with mirage or high ambient temps? The device itself shouldn't have been above 90 or so which was ambient, since I was in the shade.

Which mode do you run the LRF in — quick or precise?

Reactions: Nik H
Welp… try the “precision” setting next time and see if it makes a difference.

Same issue on first day of a class today 💩

I think it’s heat related, same unit was ranging fine in the dark last night.