• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strange results with 155 Nosler CC

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
So I have had these loads sitting in the gun room for 8 months or so and finally got around to shooting them . The loads were .308 Winchester Brass , CCI BR-2 primers , 155 Nosler custom competition bullets loaded with 46.0 , 46.5 and 47.0 grains of Varget . 46 grains poked out at about 2890 fps which wasn't bad given I am shooting it out of a 22 inch barrel . 46.5 cranked them out at about 2940 FPS which had me pretty tickled since my target velocity was 2900 FPS . AT 47.0 grains the speed dropped off to about 2920 FPS but it grouped better than the previous load . I am gonna load some more up at the 46.5 and 47.0 mark and take them back out to chrono again but it seemed kind of strange . The brass , primers , bullets and powder are all from the same lot so the velocity drop kind of has me scratching my head .

Re: Strange results with 155 Nosler CC

The Nosler 155s shoot freaking great 300yrds and in. The BC just blows farther out <span style="color: #FF0000">compared to scenars</span>.

The lack of speed, <span style="color: #FF0000">at that charge</span>, indicates to me you are near max pressure or near the far wall of an accuracy node.

The OAL is 2.800

I am not sure what CKA is talking about ? Speed and Velocity are the same thing . At that velocity even with the lower BC it shoots as well or better than the 168 and 175 grain bullets out to 1000 yards .

wife brought home a jug of wine last night, see if that makes more sense.

Roger that . It happens to me as well .

I would shoot the Scenars but I own these already so when this 2000 is gone I will try something else .

Michael,

For how many rounds for each powder charge? (sample size) and do you have velocities for individual shots?

Need to ask: Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the rounds did not get mixed up during those 8 months (gremlins, borrowers, things growing feet).

(caught my daughter once at my bench re-arranging my rounds on the loading block from "shiniest to not shiniest".....)
Thanks

I shot 5 rounds each ( I realize thats not a huge sample but I was trying to get a feel for where they were gonna shoot). I don't have the individual round data anymore as I just reviewed it and wrote down the average . I am sure they did not get re-arranged as I had them in a ammo case marked with each different load in a row and my kids know better than to touch stuff in the gun room .

I am hoping to get back out this week and try it all again .

Shoot a larger sample size. You will find enough difference in the internal volume of the brass to skewed such a small sample.

Good luck

Jerry