• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Strange Shooting = Time To Clean?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I went out this morning in completely still weather and fired 20 rounds at 200 yards. 5 of them hit the x mark, and then they started to scatter. It wasn't like there was a group where I was missing. They were all over. Up down left and right. So since my accuracy is falling way off I figure it's time to clean.

After about 500 rounds or so, what do you guys use to clean? I have a soft swab that's black as hell. Do I use a wire brush, and if so, how do I use it?

Re: Strange Shooting = Time To Clean?

I use a bore guide and rimfire blend bore cleaner on a Butch's 22 cal patch stuck on the jag of a good rod. Patch until it comes out clean, then a dry patch. This should bring it back. Make take a few shots to season the barrel before it comes back.

Your scope might have taken a dump on ya. Also check your base/rings.

I have used it for copper fouling. If normal cleaning doesn't do the trick, or if I know I have copper build-up I use the Wipe-Out.

I used it on 'Grand-dad's' 1903 Springfield, it was amazing how much copper came out of that barrel! It sure shot better afterward too. I use brushes 'sparingly'.
Be careful with any ammonia type cleaners as they will raise hell with finishes. The ammonia also attacks the bronze in brushes.

Be sure to enter in your log-book number of rounds between cleaning, and what kind of cleaning is performed. i.e. just powder solvent, clean for copper fouling etc.

For lead fouling I use Kroil.

i use montana xtreme 50 bmg, cleans quick (its gots ammonia in it).
i also try boretech eliminator also really good (no ammonia on it)

are you using lead or jacketed?

i usually use a bore / powder solvent after 700 or so rounds, unless i have developed erratic groups before that.

i shoot lead match stuff, i have recently used shooter's choice lead remover with good results.

for the jacketed, bore cleaner hoppes #9

i usually clean my rifle after every use, (usually 100) rounds with break free, a brush and squares cut out of old pajamas.

takes about 10-15 rounds to get consistant again.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really appreciate it. I have a cleaning kit from Cabela's on the way that has a jag specifically made for the .17 hmr. That is really what I needed so I can run patches through the bore.

Because I shoot benchrest I clean my gun after each 25 rd target. I usually shoot between 25 and 50 rounds at each target.
The method I use is 2 wet patches and then 2 to 3 dry patches and it is reafy for the next target. Also I have a nylon brush on a short section of cleaning rod that I scrub the chamber area to break up the carbon ring before I wet patch.
larryj