• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Strangest/weirdest ?

G

What was the strangest/weirdest thing that ever happend, after passing or returning to the (L/D)Line of departure? If that term is still used?

Re: Strangest/weirdest ?

After being out all night on a traffic control point, my platoon rolled back into the wire to find everyone running around the front gate to our FOB. Turns out someone bombed a wedding party and the Afghans brought the wounded and dead males to our FOB. We stopped the trucks and rolled out to help the medics carry the wounded to aid station. I ended up carrying a wounded little boy and a guy whose leg was literally about to fall off before we were told everyone was taken care of. Despite the carnage I'd just seen, I got a quick bite to eat and hit the rack, slept like a baby too.

I once saw a hadji that I didn't want to wax. I don't know why, but he just seemed to be a legit nice guy and I actually believed that he wasn't lying when talking to him. It only happened once though, weirdest thing.

When we were deployed to A-Stan(OEF VII), I was leading my third nightly patrol and we were on the way back. We were about 50M from the ANP gate, heading back into the ECP. I swear I heard a 'Ba' and turned a half left, knees, calves, feet together, half crouch, half duck with IBA plate toward the sound, and ACH tucked down below the IIA collar. Then it went,"BOOM!" I heard the first part of the BaBOOM. Half the crew hit the deck, and half hit the deck with weapons out. ANP's were running toward us, yelling,"It was DOG! It was DOG! Dog blow up mine!"
As everyone got up, and I stood back to full height, my SAW Gunner looks at me, and says,"How did you know that was going to blow up? You were ducking before it happened!"
That was some strange shit. I just knew I was hearing something blow up in slow mo, and was trying to crouch away from it. My '6th sense' was screaming full blast.
I still hold a small piece of shrapnel that was in the back of my IBA, stuck in the MOLLE which I didn't find until I took it off to sit down and fill out my SPOT report when we got back into the perimeter and the Guard Mount Office.

On my first trip across the pond in 65 I was playing Army in an area called the spoonbill, what a fun place to be when young an dumn. I and a Buck sgt were task to set a two man ambush between two GP's in the Zone.
Now the zone in Korea back then, was 2k meters wide and anything that moved was a target,..assuming it was Joe(NKPA). The MDL was the 38th par, and was marked via a red tape. Then 1k meters north an south were white tapes which was the zone. We an they (Joe) were always hunting each other, no matter what side of the MDL anyone was on. Joe would probe the GP's (in the zone)an OP's(outside the zone) at times just for something to do. He would also make runs south of the Imjim river for Black Market money when there was enough to make it worth his while. One buck US into 2 Korean, into 2 MPC,.. the 2 becomes 4 the 4 becomes 8 ect. Back then there was no limit on what you could send home, and your buds back home, sent back US green backs.

Anywho, after the nights briefing we gear'd up an headed out, set the bush an waited. Just another night watching the stars, always checking to make use the safteys were off the clackers, ect. About 0430 we packed up and headed for point Delta 22, which is where we were to be picked up by a Duce and a half for the trip back. Now our 2 1/2 ton always had a ring mount, 50 cal with a 30cal in support behind the cab. While in a ditch waiting we heard the engine, but something was wrong with the sound, so we stayed put to make sure. Sure enough it was not ours, nor did we know the guys in it, or know what outfit it belonged to.
Not knowing what the hell was going on, we stayed put, until they left about an hour later. Our guys had never been late, ever, for anything around the zone before. After about 2 hrs more we started walking back, yes we were pissed, because we had all the bush gear, 6 claymores, one M14, one M14e2 w/200rds per weapon in mags, with another 180 rds each in stripper clips Frags, Willy Peter, 45acps, plus packs, water, and all the other shit, a GI has to carry.

The farther we walked the mad'er we became, WTF was going on? Was there a hit last night, an we heard nothing? Did the truck get hit coming after us, or what. Never had anything like this ever happen before as we were a very tight, unit. About 3 clicks from the LD we heard something coming, we hid then seen it was our ride. We hit the road about the same time as we made eye contact with the driver, but it was not our normal driver. He seen the look we gave him, an started saying,... it's not my fault, it's not my fault, over an over. We just about had to shoot his ass to get the real story. Seems the Donut dollys (American Women that came on thursdays with donuts) came at 0500 that day and had a new skirt with them, that would put M. Monroe to shame, and our regular driver "Forgot" all about us,... while sucking hot coffee, munching donuts an looking at American tit's. Now all the other guys coming an going got swapped out on time, an w/o a hitch, per the new driver. This just pissed us off even more, and the closer we got to the base the more pissed we became.
After rounding the curve at the LD and about a mile farther we were meet by the C/O. an First shirt, the old man was on the radio but we could not hear what he was saying over the duces engine. He stepped out an waved for us to get out as well. He was telling us what happened from his point of view, an what the First shirt was going to do about it, which was not what we had in mind, but their thoughts were OK with us. About 5 minutes later a 3/4 ton came over the hill an stopped, the first Shirt and old man both said at the same time, we have a job for you boys. Your to be armed guards for the girls as long as their North of the river, this week, can you handle that job?

Shit everyone would give their left nut for that job, and we landed it for being left in the bush. Hell they should have left us more offen, if this was the pay back.
Oh and the one that would put M. Monroe to shame, was a true 11, on a 10 scale, and very nice lady as well. She even ask if there was anything she could do for us when she got back to the States.
As for the driver, the other company drivers dished out payback for us. He was never hurt,so we were told, but he requested a transfer, which the old man signed. He was gone before we finished guarding the girls, most likely a good thing for all.

Had a dude go down with the shits...so we had to pick up a new 'knock' guy. OK, no worries right?

We got this cat... spelled out the gig to him... Hit the door...rear security... dig? Dig...

Ok we get to the spot.. he hit it.. we go in.. clear clear clear... do what we gotta do, snatch who we need to snatch... etc.

Well we start takin head count & WHERE THE FUCK IS ROD?

Yup... he's around the back... REAR SECURITY...

Now keep in mind this is not a single house... this is a village style layout kinda like a block..dig?

This cat coulda got dead or got us dead...

Oh, he caught mad shit for this one. Bulkhead counseling, EMI, and some shit we made up too....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not wanting to leave </div></div>

wink.gif

Seeing hadjis going to the shiter with only a bottle of water then eating a couple minuets later. Sick fucks now wonder why they can't figure things out pieces of shit.

So I had Guard duty at 2am in the summer at Ft Wainwright Alaska.

The sun sorta dimmed a bit (Keep in mind this is Alaska, 22hrs of daylight)..

This large 2 foot MONSTER came charging right at me.

We had live ammo, locked and loaded so I flipped the safety off and was about to squeeze off. Knowing the repercussions and paperwork of course I held off...

Turned out to be a porcupine - have heard they are kinda blind.
He was just curious but scared the crap out of me- first time I ever saw one....and it reminded me of an Armadillo in 1987 at Ft Sill LOL

when my unit crossed the LD from Kuwait to Iraq it was o-dark 30. We drove down a 6 lane road and once within 2 k of the LD we locked and loaded.

Well as we crossed the tank ditches and all that we got on another 6 lane road, went down about 700m and took a overpass exit ramp to go up and over on a bridge to send us en-route to our C.I.B.
wink.gif

so as we did this and my HUMMVEE cleared the bridge with 15 to 20 more HUMMVEE's to my front and same behind, we had ALOT of indirect land 100m in front and 60m to the right of the Batt XO who was in the lead of the convoy.

He called indirect and boy, o boy it turned in to hall ass mode!!!!!

Well the next two days we spend gathering up all of the other 50 so HUMMVEE's and other trucks. from the brake in contact.
smile.gif

Later in life we found out that one of the 5 ton's that had a MK-19 on it was going up that same exit ramp, hit the curb and the gunner of the MK-19 sent a 30rnd burst off.

smile.gif

John

Boyette That story sounds familiar 0331 3/7 weapons attached to kilo co.2000-2004 Was that MK 19 a run away gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boyette That story sounds familiar 0331 3/7 weapons attached to kilo co.2000-2004 Was that MK 19 a run away gun </div></div>

No sir,

The MK-19 was off safe and when the 5 ton hit the curb, the gunner let it fly.

One of the funny things that struck me about this road trip was this.

the whole time in Kuwait I was at the international Airport. Well once we went north. On the highway, and the street lights stop, we rolled for about 400 more meters and then, past the UN OP's that where painted white and blue.

The funny part was the amount of bullet holes in the UN-OP's. The bullet strikes went both ways.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not wanting to leave </div></div>

Oh, we wanted to leave alright, but SOP after the LD was, unless we knew them or they were speaking the pass/challange words, or code words, you did not make contact,...period.

These guys were not from anything 1/8th Cav. their bumper marking were unknown to us as well, an nothing unarmed, was to be anywhere in the Spoonbill between Libby or Freedom bridges.
We had no idea who they were at that time, but followed SOP to the letter, as all passwords an codes, for us, changed at 0600 and we did not know the new ones yet.

That’s some good shit to bad it was not in Bagdad. My gunner engaged a truck coming onto an overpass in Bagdad and had the sear stick on his MK-19 that thing fucked some shit up street sings the road and I could see some of the rounds flying into a bunch of buildings. Good times