• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Streaching my legs......408CT

Jimmym40a2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
Colorado
bullet3.jpg

Got to go out and stretch my legs shooting my 408. After arriving at my destination the weather wasn’t looking to hot for shooting (rain).I had hunted elk near this area a couple of years ago and thought it was a perfect place to do some long-range work. I looked at it on Google earth and mapped out some distances via GPS and maps but when I go there it was not laid out to shoot in the direction I wanted and was having to shoot to the opposite side of the ridge. I had brought some metal targets with me but was not going to be able to get over there to set them up so I was going to have to shoot some rocks. I arrived late afternoon and a storm was about to blow in but I couldn't wait to shoot so my son and I decided to warm up at 1400 yards because it was closer. Boom- we were on target and so was the rain. (Wind 17 mph) We left to go eat and come back later when it cleared. We got back before dusk and conditions were great. We set up our gear :
spotter1.jpg

spotter2.jpg

Wind had died to 5 and we engaged at 2200 and 2500 yards. No first round hits but after making adjustments we were cranking away. At 2200 (3foot target) we were hitting with monotony and the 2500 was a miss here and there (4 foot target) we were going to go out further but it was getting dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCKBK5qknY (Video at 2200 yards)
After awaking to 48 degrees we set back up and shot at 2700 and 2800. Wind was near zero and light was perfect.
thetools.jpg

It took a few shots to get on target (large boulder) and we were hitting then some shots seemed to disappear (no impact visible). I decided to push it to 3200 but was not able to see any impacts so I gave up on it. It was a great learning experience and I look forward to going there again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hikmeuf-FG8 (unsuppressed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA ( 2700 yards-if you wait you can hear the sound coming back at the end)

gunnison09004.jpg

gunnison09041.jpg

gunnison09040.jpg

gunnison09037.jpg

Re: Streaching my legs......

Nice stick. I want one now. According to the TV show Ultimate weapons -- sniper rifle show, it ranks first among the sniper rifles. Noticed that you use the Recon, instead of the cheytac ballistic PDA. Any reason? Is it better?

I'm not sure- its tough as all get out and I have the Horusvision atragmx and Nightforce in it.

Jimmy
What is that earth tone tubular structure you have on the tripod in front of the lawn chair? Is that your spotting scope? What kind is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimmy
What is that earth tone tubular structure you have on the tripod in front of the lawn chair? Is that your spotting scope? What kind is that? </div></div>

I`m curious too..

Awesome setup... were you shooting on the Western Slope?... and I am curious too as to what that monster is sitting on the tripod.

Yeah its my spotting scope 50x and crazy wide view.(6 inch objective) Homemade tripod rock solid.

(Tbass- near Gunnison)

gunnison09020.jpg

Yes it is a range finder. A WWII Barr and Stroud rangefinder. Goes out to 20,000 yards.Not as accurate as a Vector,etc but allot more affordable.

Jimmy,

As usual great pics and that gun certainly came up sweet.

i think you have coloured the mag and suppressor since I last saw her ? It is a credit to you and all the building to get it to where it is.

I love you to PM me where you ended up with loading for it ? Are you using the RMB projos ?

That is a brut of a weapon put together very nicely and obviously shooting as good as she looks !

Well done Jim.

DUH

Re: Streaching my legs......408CT

At first glance on the left, I thought you had one of those German WWII stereoscopic range finders they used for 20mm, 37mm, 88mm, etc. Flak. They look very similar.

Beautiful pictures and equipment.

Hearing protection is there, look at the bottom pic, at the front of the front of the mat is a pair of muffs...

Ammo box is the MTM 50 size. You can shoot the rifle with out hearing pro with the can on. I was taking it on and off to see if there were big variations of impact with the break vs can. You can see in the videos no hearing pro.

Jimmy M40a2,

I have a Barr and Stroud as well as a Wild. The stock tripods are pretty hefty and I have experimented on mounting it to a stock lightweight tripod, worked pretty well except the head is too flexible.

What kind of tripod are you using under the B&S? Nice rifle. I just finished a .375 CT Improved build on a McRee stock with a lawton action.

Thanks

I'm making a beefy tripod to go under it. The one I have "wiggle" a little to much for my taste.Can't wait to see your rifle..... Congrats. Do you like the wild or the B&s better? The B&s was yards so I went with it.

They are very similar. I have to believe one is a coy of the other but I dont know if B&S or Wild was first. I have not really used them enough to have a preference but the Wild's sight window seems a little easier to get dialed in initially.

I have considered trying out a tripod from a surveyors transit. They are not as light as the aluminum units for cameras and spotting scopes but with the weight of the instrument I am not sure I ever find one that doesnt "wiggle" a bit.

Dang Jimmy,

That looks like allot of fun!Your gun is fantastic as well as all your other stuff!

Thanks for the report.

Us ELR dudes gotta do a get together someday!!!!!That looks like a good place to do it.

Steve

Steve you might freeze to death LOL. I saw you were 115 in Phoenix. That would be fun I would love to see your 375.

Haha Jimmy,

Guess what,I live at 7000 feet altitude in Flagstaff.Probably cooler than where you are.I couldn't handle the temps those lowlanders live through.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY I made the bolt knob my self. </div></div>

Would you make another?
wink.gif

KY pm sent

Honkey- it seems pretty good but I havent done allot of test yet.

looks like a good time. I need to make more money.

Quick question tho, Who makes the Forward tube bipod conversion? Does EDM offer that?

wow. i wish i had a place to shoot that far or even close to that distance in pennsylvania. awesome gun!

Is the spotting scope a homebuilt as well? Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see mention of what it is and/or where to get one.

Bohem

the spotting scope is made by 3M years ago I think in Germany.I don't know where you can get one. I got mine from http://www.deutscheoptik.com/ they have all kinds of crazy optics if you keep your eye out and are willing to wait. I got my rangefinder from them as well.

bigbinoculars.com has some amazing optics as well

Jimmy,

FYI I had made an adapter for my Barr & Stroud to use the standard 1/4 20 mount on most camera tripods. Over the weekend I went to Bass Pro and found a cheap ($39.00) tripod with a detachable mounting plate that fits the 1/4" stud that seemed way stiffer than most. I decided to give it a whirl as I also have a Wild I am looking to mount.

So far it seems like a rock solid mount compared to my other lightweight tripods. It goes from 27" to 55" and is very light. I will try to shoot you a picture of the little adapter I made, very simple and rigid.

I thought you might be interested. I will check on the make and model and shoot you an e-mail. I have been tinkering for a while trying to fond something that will take the weght of a B&S or Wild and this one seems pretty good. I'll do some field testng and get back to you.