• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strelok Pro and DA

Post some screenshots of all your inputs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-175900_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-175900_Strelok Pro.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 133
In the first screenshot, you have to manually input that number if you check the box "Use density altitude". It's not a calculated output.

From the second screenshot it looks like your D3 Drop is sending you a wildly high DA number as well. Did you swing it around for 30 seconds or so prior to the reading?

I've noticed mine gives inflated values for it and Temp if left in direct sunlight for too long and seems to take quite a while to go back to normal Vs a 5700. Not seen a number that high though.

Here is the screen shot from the kestrel drop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-185237_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-185237_Strelok Pro.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 87
What does the Kestrel Link app show for the D3's readings?

Just to clarify, if you check that box "use density altitude", it's expecting you to know and input the number in that white dialogue where it's currently 31,760. Mine just uses the last number I put in when enabled. Are you trying to use or get DA from an external device?

It is a bug in Strelok from one of the recent updates. I just checked mine and it is doing the same thing.
It did read the D3 correctly in the past and Link shows the correct value as well.
It reads correctly from the 5700.

EDIT:
For future readers it was a Kestrel Drop firmware issue, keep reading down the thread for the issue and fixes.

Last edited:
I emailed a report of the issue to Igor. Guy is super responsive so would bet it will be fixed soon.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Thanks to Igor pointing me in the right direction after an email I was able to stumble through fixing this.

The bad:
Kestrel's support docs for the Drop are incomplete, out of date and contradictory.
The Drop manual doesn't cover the firmware update process and there are now two Link apps; Legacy and "new".

My Drop had firmware 1.53, after finally finding the firmware release notes I see this:
drop-fw.png

So given you have to use Link to update the firmware and that requires connecting to the Drop, would seem I have to do the upgrades in the Legacy app. Turns out NOT true.

Attempting the firmware update in the Legacy app appeared to go through the motions and I was then greeted by firmware version 1.50 so yet another version older than "Initial Release" that isn't documented. Attempting to do the upgrade again in Legacy the version didn't change.

At this point with nothing to lose installed the "new" app which DID connect to my now firmware 1.50 Drop D3.

The "new" app is busier but much more clear on how to upgrade the firmware and progress, it also has plenty of warnings which should be followed. Since I was now on 1.50 it took 3 update cycles to get it on 1.55 and a BTLE profile update as well.

So the real process is:
Use the Legacy app if you wish to save any of your historical logs off the Drop first. Once the update is done the Legacy app will no longer work and things can get wiped.

Put a fresh battery in the Drop. This process is intensive and will drain it, a used battery may cause the update to fail.
Make sure your phone is charged or on USB, the app needs to stay open and my working upgrades took well over 20 minutes.

Install the "new" Kestrel Link app it now has a white and blue icon.
Grant the permissions it asks for (Bluetooth, location, network and storage if it doesn't ask).
Make sure Bluetooth and Location are enabled on the phone.
Open the "new" Link app and Connect your Drop>Devices>Device Settings
connect.png

Click Check for Firmware Updates on the next screen and read what it tells you, it can take several updates to finish the process.

settings.png

After all was done, no more wild DA reading in Strelok Pro

In Link connect to the Drop, click the Device Info button and screen shot it or relay the info.

Here yea go
Need to connect to the Drop first, the HW, FW and BLE entries are blank. You will see a "Connect" or "Disconnect" button at the bottom of the previous screen. You can see it in my screenshots above.

Only gives me temperature nothing else
For anyone else who gets this issue. The fix seemed to be to clear all the logs off the Drop, change the logging and sync rates to fastest settings then remove the battery from the Drop for about 30 seconds or so.
Once the battery is replaced, reconnect to the Link app and take a live reading, if all the values are there you can then re-adjust the logging and sync rates to normal battery preserving rates.

EDIT : Figured it out!

Reserecting thread:

My D3 Drop connects to the Link program but doesn't show up in the Strelok devices list. Firmware is 1.56. How do you get Strelok to find the Drop sensor?

Last edited: