• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strelok Pro question

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I have the Strelok Pro ballistic calculator and I really like the way that it sets up and operates but I've noticed that it's calculations differ from other calculators that I use. I have set it up for a couple rifles and compared it with the Hornady ballistic calculator, Ballistic AE, & Applied Ballistics calculator. The solutions with other 3 are within 1% of each other at 1000 yards but the Strelok is over 2% off of what the others are saying. I believe that I have it set up correctly as I have been over the set up several times and don't think I'm missing anything. I used the Ballistic AE some out to 1000 yards and it was pretty accurate but I hate how it operates as it seems overly complicated and not intuitive for me. The Strelok is great in usability BUT it's producing different solutions which makes me think that it's not going to be accurate. Has anyone else noticed this with Strelok?

The only number that matters is the Real World Data you actually shot and registered an impact on the target.

Every piece of software has their own twist on the solution, they add in flourishes that change the solution in some small way, hence the need to True the software to the real world results.

Without the Real World Data you are just wasting a lot of time comparing the solutions between programs, they will all be different in some small way.

Once I trued my data to 1000 yards, the "arc" it predicts worked fine for me at distances from 200-1000. 308, i4320 43.5 grns, 178 gr Amax, 26" 1:10 criterion barrel, 700 action. I used the truing functions and once I did that, I found it to work quite well. The parts I trued were drops in mils at 1000 , once I did that, it was spot on for everything else. Likewise, My zeroing atmospherics were kept the same as actual. I was using a weatherflow with bluetooth to gather my 1000 yard shots atmospherics. No complaints. I have TRASOL, Shooter, Ballistic Arc and Exterior ballistics, all are very close now since adjusting them to either change BC or velocity , but they all read very close at ranges from 300 to 1000 as long as the atmospherics are put in properly or gathered (if the app supports it) from my weatherflow. With regards to my weatherflow, I do not use it for wind, I use mirage or physical signs at range, but for pressure , RH and temperature, the weatherflow works pretty well. Hope this helps.

Reactions: matchbook454
Once I trued my data to 1000 yards, the "arc" it predicts worked fine for me at distances from 200-1000. 308, i4320 43.5 grns, 178 gr Amax, 26" 1:10 criterion barrel, 700 action. I used the truing functions and once I did that, I found it to work quite well. The parts I trued were drops in mils at 1000 , once I did that, it was spot on for everything else. Likewise, My zeroing atmospherics were kept the same as actual. I was using a weatherflow with bluetooth to gather my 1000 yard shots atmospherics. No complaints. I have TRASOL, Shooter, Ballistic Arc and Exterior ballistics, all are very close now since adjusting them to either change BC or velocity , but they all read very close at ranges from 300 to 1000 as long as the atmospherics are put in properly or gathered (if the app supports it) from my weatherflow. With regards to my weatherflow, I do not use it for wind, I use mirage or physical signs at range, but for pressure , RH and temperature, the weatherflow works pretty well. Hope this helps.
It does help. I haven't tried to true it yet as I haven't shot long range since I bought it. Does it true the BC or the velocity (or does it matter) .

The only number that matters is the Real World Data you actually shot and registered an impact on the target.

Every piece of software has their own twist on the solution, they add in flourishes that change the solution in some small way, hence the need to True the software to the real world results.

Without the Real World Data you are just wasting a lot of time comparing the solutions between programs, they will all be different in some small way.
I hear what you're saying but I have shot using the other aps and found them to be accurate so it only stands to reason that if this is giving me a different solution than it must be in error. That being said, I take your point as well as what howe said- true it and see how it works then.

Strelok will do either BC or velocity truing. But like LowLight said, you are basically programming the calculator to match reality.

Strelok will do either BC or velocity truing. But like LowLight said, you are basically programming the calculator to match reality.
So can I choose what will true (BC or velocity) and if so, which one do I true? I'm using Berger bullets so I'm assuming that the BC on those has been pretty well documented but how much does that changed based on velocity?

if you shoot it at 1000 and it drops (say 9 mils) and you dial in 9 on your elevation and if you shoot 6.4 mils at 700 yards, then you have an arc documented (with whatever the current weather /pressure is), then on your calculator/software, if strelok, under truing it will ask for range and mils, you put in 1000 yards with 9 mils drop, and do it again and put in 700 yards with 6.4 mils drop. Then if you use strelok to solve for a 600 yard shot or a 1100 yard shot, it will be pretty much on . You're mileage may very, but I've always just adjusted the velocity truing and it has worked for me. But all that only after having actually shot 700 and 1000 to establish what the reality of the round is.

if you shoot it at 1000 and it drops (say 9 mils) and you dial in 9 on your elevation and if you shoot 6.4 mils at 700 yards, then you have an arc documented (with whatever the current weather /pressure is), then on your calculator/software, if strelok, under truing it will ask for range and mils, you put in 1000 yards with 9 mils drop, and do it again and put in 700 yards with 6.4 mils drop. Then if you use strelok to solve for a 600 yard shot or a 1100 yard shot, it will be pretty much on . You're mileage may very, but I've always just adjusted the velocity truing and it has worked for me. But all that only after having actually shot 700 and 1000 to establish what the reality of the round is.
Got it. Sounds like it just adjusts whatever it needs to match the arc.

I always get a rough estimate by entering the known data into StrelokPro. Then I shoot 300/500/800 (with 100 or 300 yard zero). I then fine tune the StrelokPro. This way if your low at 300 you can adjust a bit higher for 500 and what not but at least your close. I use a box at 300. Usually a 4 ft cardboard square for 500 and 800 as I have to move my shooting spot about 50 yards to change to 800.

They allow you to enter the real bullet drop and what yardage it’s at. I enter the yardage for 500 or 800 yard results. Then adjust the bc of the bullet until the other 2 distances match up. I can get the StrelokPro distance and the actual distance within 1/4 MOA. I have found using the magnetospeed V3 that my data is closer. Before I had that I just guessed the speed based on what my reload book said. That took a lot more adjusting to correct the data.

Take the weather readings when you shoot and enter that data before adjusting. Also enter the correct scope to bore distance as well. Little things will matter later

I trued my Lapua 139 this weekend. This might not be the best way but I had good results. I got atmosphererics fromy Kestrel. Then I fired 5 shots across my Magnetospeed and input the average velocity for that temperature. I got my data out to 1250 and wrote it down for 600, 750, 1000, and 1250. I dialed and shot at 600 then documented actual elevation. I trued the BC and hit calculate and repeated the process to 1250. After truing the BC at 1250 and re calculating I work my way back 600 to verify my elevation is correct. It was and my G7 went from .291 to .247.

Reactions: Kentuckywindage222
I always get a rough estimate by entering the known data into StrelokPro. Then I shoot 300/500/800 (with 100 or 300 yard zero). I then fine tune the StrelokPro. This way if your low at 300 you can adjust a bit higher for 500 and what not but at least your close. I use a box at 300. Usually a 4 ft cardboard square for 500 and 800 as I have to move my shooting spot about 50 yards to change to 800.

They allow you to enter the real bullet drop and what yardage it’s at. I enter the yardage for 500 or 800 yard results. Then adjust the bc of the bullet until the other 2 distances match up. I can get the StrelokPro distance and the actual distance within 1/4 MOA. I have found using the magnetospeed V3 that my data is closer. Before I had that I just guessed the speed based on what my reload book said. That took a lot more adjusting to correct the data.

Take the weather readings when you shoot and enter that data before adjusting. Also enter the correct scope to bore distance as well. Little things will matter later
Thanks. That sounds like a good process. Going to need to re read when I'm more awake to make sure I understand what you're doing :)

I trued my Lapua 139 this weekend. This might not be the best way but I had good results. I got atmosphererics fromy Kestrel. Then I fired 5 shots across my Magnetospeed and input the average velocity for that temperature. I got my data out to 1250 and wrote it down for 600, 750, 1000, and 1250. I dialed and shot at 600 then documented actual elevation. I trued the BC and hit calculate and repeated the process to 1250. After truing the BC at 1250 and re calculating I work my way back 600 to verify my elevation is correct. It was and my G7 went from .291 to .247.
Thanks. Will need to study this as well.

Bringing an old thread alive.

How/where can I input the barrel lengt when I'm setting up a rifle profile in Strelok Pro? Is it possible at all?
Oh well, should have searched a little more thorough on Strelok Pro website :rolleyes::)

This is the answer if anyone else is looking.

Q. Is there a way to set barrel length?

A. Barrel length is accounted in the muzzle speed value. Longer barrel has faster speed. If you input muzzle speed to the program, it means what barrel length already accounted. Best way is to measure you muzzle speed with chrono.

Oh well, should have searched a little more thorough on Strelok Pro website :rolleyes::)

This is the answer if anyone else is looking.

Q. Is there a way to set barrel length?

A. Barrel length is accounted in the muzzle speed value. Longer barrel has faster speed. If you input muzzle speed to the program, it means what barrel length already accounted. Best way is to measure you muzzle speed with chrono.
I have been working with the same app. Got it down pretty good, but can always use more information on how to get better results. I have applied both Velocity and BC from 800 to 1050. Last session I was within .75 moa until my scope base loosened. Which amazingly only affected windage by 1.5 moa at 950 yards. Took apart, cleaned loctite and ready for next session. If it comes loose again I plan trying epoxy method. I really like the Strelok app. Boris, (designer) has been quick to answer any questions I have had.

Reactions: Pen & Sword Life
I am in agreement with all the responses you got. I've been using the app for nearly 3 years and it always delivers, notwithstanding the issues being discussed. BC is not actually a constant, it's a variable dependent on velocity, relative humidity and so on. The easiest way I've found to true the outputs is first try to adjust the G7 B. C. downward, a little at time, based on your real world results. The comment on Boris' availability is true. I've never waited longer than 24 hours for a response. The Hornady 4DOF program is awesome once you get used to it. A lot of great work went into that program and Hornady could have monetized it to profit from it. I think they did the smart thing and let everyone have it free to generate customer loyalty and demonstrate their commitment to our pursuits. Just my 2 cents.

The strelok pro will help you figure your velocity with the help of the truing feather. But if you have the actual velocity in the weather conditions that you are in, than that input or real world data is what you need to use. I have used the truing feature to get my data close buy shooting the 300 yard target at our range with a 100 yard zero and measuring the actual drop and inputting that info on the truing feature at 300 yards. Then I would use that data to find what hold to use for 600. Then I would adjust to where I was hitting correct on that plate and true it again at the 600 yard. It works pretty good but I prefer to use actual real date from a good chronograph or lad radar. The more reliable the data going in the better it can calculate for the trajectory. When truing the data strelock basically says oh if you had to use that come up then the velocity had to be this.

I've been using Strelok since it first came out and the pro version is getting a little bloated. Go into settings and turn most of that default shit off. Already mentioned but don't compare one app to another. It is almost impossible to get the same inputs and the programming is a little different. Strelok is still the most user friendly phone app but Igor has some default settings you don't need. But when shoot you will find it is not always spot on. Apps use formulas and your bullet path doesn't. We waste a lot of ammo because of these apps. You're missing by .1 or .2 mils and we want to believe the app. This is why some pilots not rated for IFR will turn around if they see clouds on a mountain 70 miles away in general aviation. Don't rely on shooting by instruments alone. You always have the ability to look out the window. Shoot by VFR and believe what you see

We really ought to call the apps ballistics estimators, not calculators.

Anybody use the mover feature? We had a mover last weekend (22lr match), and I just used what others were using (~0.6mil) and got several hits. Then I plugged 125 yards and 4mph into the app and it says 6 mils, not 0.6 mils. Sumthin ain't right.......

4MPH for a mover is fast... most are 2MPH at the most. A 3MPH mover at the Guardian about doubled the lead. And a 125 yards with a .22 is like a 500 yard shot with a centerfire, so they are adding in the timing.

The issue with any software is, YOU and your Rifle... every system and shooter is slightly different. You absolutely influence the results in more ways than one. Even a CDM for other software is only custom for their rifle, not yours, they never tested your rifle so the idea the CDM is set up for you is unrealistic too, They just added sample size to the average.

An estimator is correct until you true the software, and truing requires effort, like real effort too. The idea you can simply chronograph a rifle and put in the details and you will hit something sub-MOA is completely unrealistic. It's an accumulation of errors we are managing, on top of what a particular App Author believes is more important to him in order to separate themselves from the competition.

Reactions: ACard
I think the constant changing of B.C. at different velocities is the biggest problem. Multiple B.C. In the app hit the button that says Muli-B.C. beside the B.C.box to address this issue. Hope this helps.

Nah, that is not the issue,

Sure banded BCs are smarter way of doing business, but we have been using Averages for a very long time now, we have averages adjusted fine.

The only time a single Average BC is not gonna work well is when the barrel is short or the velocity is not up to speed. If you have a 6.5 going 2800fps + the BC is fine, if you have one going 2675fps you are gonna see issues at distance.

The BC really doesn't kick in until after 600-700 yards, then it starts to get noticeable, so that is not why things are not lining up

Reactions: ACard
Thanks. I have no frame of reference whatsoever for movers. The MD said it was 4mph, and it appeared close enough (about a fast walk) I didn't question or time it. I just went with what the other guys were saying for lead, and I got lucky and made far more hits than I was expecting.

For distance and wind strelok seems darn close to reality. That's why I was so dumbfounded with the mover lead it calculated.

Anybody use the mover feature? We had a mover last weekend (22lr match), and I just used what others were using (~0.6mil) and got several hits. Then I plugged 125 yards and 4mph into the app and it says 6 mils, not 0.6 mils. Sumthin ain't right.......

I have used Strelok Pro's mover feature at 3 different matches at K&M now. They have 2 sets of movers there, one set at 300yrds and one set at 500rds, both have been running at 3mph every time I've been there.

Every miss I've had was my fault, not Strelok's. The suggested hold it spat out was money.

In fact, the first time I'd ever even attempted a shot on a mover was during my first K&M match, 500 yards too, think I went 8 or 9 out of 10 and it ended up being one of my best stages. It's worked great the last 2 matches as well.

That said, rimfire is... well... rimfire. Some things are similar, but it's not the same. I was shooting 6CM. I don't have/shoot a rimfire, but I've heard, depending on the distance, if someone on the line farts you need to add a tenth...

Last edited: