• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Strike Eagle vs Razor ?

spend the money on the razor?

• Total voters

TikkaSteve

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2020
Plymouth Ma
hey guys, I'm brand new to shooting long range, this is my first bolt action rifle. I got a tikka t3x tac a1, I picked up an accu-tac fc-g2 bipod, and a 4603b spuhr mount 20 moa built in for a 34mm tube. I was originally planning on getting a Razor but I ended up getting screwed on that deal. (I'm already out $1,420) So my question is how much better is the razor than the strike eagle? I know the strike eagle is not in the same class of glass. But is it sufficient? Should I pick one of these up or just bite the bullet and get a razor? So you understand where I'm at I'm currently buying a house and I'm going to need a lot of stuff like a dining room set, living room set. pots and pans etc. Since the ex kept all that stuff... but now I have a rifle I can't use... the only reason I'm thinking strike eagle is it will fit the mount I have and its $1,300 cheaper... but I hate buying stuff twice! I've never had eyes on either of these scopes so I really have no first hand knowledge. Thanks guys!

Is the Razor or the money for it eventually coming back to you, or did you actually permanently lose $1420 trying to buy the Razor scope?

There are other scopes that are decent and workable, that are not made in communist China, and that cost much less than the Razor. The Meopta Optika 6 line comes to mind, but there are others as well.

hey guys, I'm brand new to shooting long range, this is my first bolt action rifle. I got a tikka t3x tac a1, I picked up an accu-tac fc-g2 bipod, and a 4603b spuhr mount 20 moa built in for a 34mm tube. I was originally planning on getting a Razor but I ended up getting screwed on that deal. (I'm already out $1,420) So my question is how much better is the razor than the strike eagle? I know the strike eagle is not in the same class of glass. But is it sufficient? Should I pick one of these up or just bite the bullet and get a razor? So you understand where I'm at I'm currently buying a house and I'm going to need a lot of stuff like a dining room set, living room set. pots and pans etc. Since the ex kept all that stuff... but now I have a rifle I can't use... the only reason I'm thinking strike eagle is it will fit the mount I have and its $1,300 cheaper... but I hate buying stuff twice! I've never had eyes on either of these scopes so I really have no first hand knowledge. Thanks guys!
Tikka, Accutac, Spuhr...logically Razor comes next in that line up. If the Spuhr is 34mm as stated then it works for the Razor. Fuck pots and pans

Is the Razor or the money for it eventually coming back to you, or did you actually permanently lose $1420 trying to buy the Razor scope?

There are other scopes that are decent and workable, that are not made in communist China, and that cost much less than the Razor. The Meopta Optika 6 line comes to mind, but there are others as well.
I lost the $1420...

• Angry
Reactions: Shooter McGavin
No contest.... Scopes are nowhere near the same class....

Razor all the way

just my 2 cents, I saw a guy @ the last PRS match shooting with the Strike Eagle up to 700yds and did very well. for the time being, im sure u can shoot with it and then sell is at a minimal loss once u recovered some addt'l cash. i would do this over sitting out a shooting season.

I have both and the Razor is superior in every way. There's no comparison really. If you can find one used and can afford it you won't regret the razor.

Is the Strike Eagle sufficient?
Yes.
Is the Razor better?
Yes.
Are you trying to get the most bang for your buck?
Look here,Better than the strike eagle, close but not equal to the Razor

Reactions: Average guy

Feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we'll be happy to discuss those options with you :)

after looking through both I liked the razor much better my opinion strike eagle price wise razor for the glass but i personally would pic another scope that's 1/2 the price and nearly twice the usable mag , even if you don't use all the extra mag its nice to have it at your finger tips .

Reactions: Josh1978
You might want to look at the NF 12-42x56 BR scope. If you are thinking about competing in the future this will do the trick and it’s priced between the two you have listed. Around $1400 Just a thought.

No matter what you decide on just remember this; BUY ONCE CRY ONCE 😁

You might want to look at the NF 12-42x56 BR scope. If you are thinking about competing in the future this will do the trick and it’s priced between the two you have listed. Around $1400 Just a thought.

No matter what you decide on just remember this; BUY ONCE CRY ONCE 😁
I'll look this scope up later, but off hand, is the tube 34mm?

I'll look this scope up later, but off hand, is the tube 34mm?
You dont want that either way. Its the antithesis of what your rifle is set up for. It was a dumb suggestion.

If things really are that tough just get the strike eagle and use it for a year,, it will suffice. I wouldnt want it myself but I also dont want a razor but theres no denying that the razor is better in every single way.

Is the Strike Eagle sufficient?
Yes.
Is the Razor better?
Yes.
Are you trying to get the most bang for your buck?
Look here,Better than the strike eagle, close but not equal to the Razor
That's not close to the razor. The argument can be made the xrs and dmr2 pro are close to the razor but they really aren't.

Better glass, better reticle, better turrets and zerostop, better mag range, eyebox, paralax, illumination and better warranty/CS.

That's not close to the razor. The argument can be made the xrs and dmr2 pro are close to the razor but they really aren't.

Better glass, better reticle, better turrets and zerostop, better mag range, eyebox, paralax, illumination and better warranty/CS.
Most of what you said is subjective.
Better glass? probably, but not by much.
Better reticle? Not in my opinion, because reticles are subjective.
Better turrets? Again, subjective.
Better zero stop? I like both.
Better mag range? Yes, but 3.5-21 is sufficient.
Better eye box? maybe
Better parallax? define better, they both remove parallax.
Better illumination? How so? They both illuminate, illumination is not typically used in the day time.
Better warranty/CS? Maybe. Bushnell's warranty is pretty damn good, and it is unlikely to be needed for the Tactical series.
Yes, Vortex has very good warranty, good thing, as it is used frequently.

I have had a strike eagle LPVO on a AR build. They work just fine for plinking at the range without breaking the bank. As far as long range shooting goes, do you want to invest in something cheap now to get by (and might eventually limit your shooting as you get into it) or buy a scope you could use on your current build and potentially your next build. That is what I always ask myself. Plenty of other options outside of vortex, but even staying brand loyal you could go PST Gen I or II which are both better glass than the SE and worse then the razor, and the cost reflects that.

Most of what you said is subjective.
Better glass? probably, but not by much.
Better reticle? Not in my opinion, because reticles are subjective.
Better turrets? Again, subjective.
Better zero stop? I like both.
Better mag range? Yes, but 3.5-21 is sufficient.
Better eye box? maybe
Better parallax? define better, they both remove parallax.
Better illumination? How so? They both illuminate, illumination is not typically used in the day time.
Better warranty/CS? Maybe. Bushnell's warranty is pretty damn good, and it is unlikely to be needed for the Tactical series.
Yes, Vortex has very good warranty, good thing, as it is used frequently.

Its not subjective its fact.

It does have better glass. Better resolution, better color accuracy and less CA.
It does have a better Reticle. The EBR7C is better than the G3. Finer detail , floating dot ect.
The Turrets are absolutely better. Its not even subjective anyone who has run both will tell you what I just did.
Sufficient for what? Shooting small groups on paper and then taking out to a mile? You will get better PID and detection assuming mirage and atmospherics are not working against you.
The eyebox IS better. Get behind both.
The Paralax is not only more accurate for the given range, its easier to adjust.

Bushenlls warranty doesn't hold a candle to vortex. They are slower, will charge you shipping half the time and if its not something they deem a manufacturing defect, you will pay for it. I have fucked up a couple of bushels due to me trying to break them and while they did warranty them, I had to pay for the repair, shipping and a long wait time. Had I done the same with a razor, it would have been no questions asked replaced within a week and zero cost to me.

Having owned a bunch of Bushy ET and Razor optics I can tell you the razors have less issues and need warranty work much less. Not to say Bushnell makes a bad scope, in fact they make a very capable if dated optic. They really haven't innovated or updated much since the HDMR other than a little better glass and zero stop turrets. Same clunky design going on 10 years.

It sounds like you really don't know much about optics considering you fail to identify the nuance between them. If you can differentiate the minutia and finer details, you have nothing to add to this thread.

Comparing a DM2 to a razor is pants on the head retarded unless you are talking strictly $$. No shit a $800 scope is cheaper than a $1600 one. You get what you pay for. People are still lining up to pay for a new razor while the bushels are getting blown out bellow cost because no one wants them.

Wow. Fanboy much?
Just because you are emotionally invested in it doesn't make it a fact.
If you weren't so emotionally involved and capable of rational thought and able to consider the context you would realize the intent.
1) the strike eagle is suffient
2) the razor is much better
3) the Bushnell is better than the strike eagle and close to the razor.

You have issues. Hopefully you can find a safe space from my differing opinion.

I have had a strike eagle LPVO on a AR build. They work just fine for plinking at the range without breaking the bank. As far as long range shooting goes, do you want to invest in something cheap now to get by (and might eventually limit your shooting as you get into it) or buy a scope you could use on your current build and potentially your next build. That is what I always ask myself. Plenty of other options outside of vortex, but even staying brand loyal you could go PST Gen I or II which are both better glass than the SE and worse then the razor, and the cost reflects that.
Yes but I already have a $410 mount that will not work with either of those scopes. I bought it for the razor which has 34mm tube, the next step down with a 34mm tube is the SE. I'm not hard up, however I'm not flush with cash either, and since I already wasted money I want to make a good decision. I have no first hand experience with this scope I was wondering if it was good enough or if I should just go with what I originally wanted

Reactions: WyCoShooter
Yes but I already have a $410 mount that will not work with either of those scopes. I bought it for the razor which has 34mm tube, the next step down with a 34mm tube is the SE. I'm not hard up, however I'm not flush with cash either, and since I already wasted money I want to make a good decision. I have no first hand experience with this scope I was wondering if it was good enough or if I should just go with what I originally wanted

I know you got burned man but I have had 4 gen 2 razors over the years... They are great scopes and well worth the used going rate for them

My bad, I think I missed that in your initial post. That is true then, the PSTs would not work unless you sold your mount and got a 30mm. I do not have experience with the razors yet either, but I have heard nothing but great things, and that for the prices they are going for gently used on the PX can't really be beat for the money. I can only attest to the SE, and as I said I think they are solid for 300-500 dollar scopes. I had a 1x8, it was fun on an AR. For your purposes, I just think as these guys have said, buy once, cry once but you won't regret it. I am in the same boat, watching the market for a good gen II myself right now.

Wow. Fanboy much?
Just because you are emotionally invested in it doesn't make it a fact.
If you weren't so emotionally involved and capable of rational thought and able to consider the context you would realize the intent.
1) the strike eagle is suffient
2) the razor is much better
3) the Bushnell is better than the strike eagle and close to the razor.

You have issues. Hopefully you can find a safe space from my differing opinion.
No one here is emotionally invested in shit. Some of us have owned all these.

The strike eagle is a step behind the PST which is a turd itself. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see where on the totem pole it lays.

Bushnell is not close to the razor. I have had both. The closest thing to the razor is the XRS2, and its the same price and inferior everywhere I already explained. The razor smokes it in every category.

You are the one making statements with zero facts or specifics. Things like good enough and close are for horseshoes and hand grenades. Not technical subjects,

No one here is emotionally invested in shit. Some of us have owned all these.

The strike eagle is a step behind the PST which is a turd itself. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see where on the totem pole it lays.

Bushnell is not close to the razor. I have had both. The closest thing to the razor is the XRS2, and its the same price and inferior everywhere I already explained. The razor smokes it in every category.

You are the one making statements with zero facts or specifics. Things like good enough and close are for horseshoes and hand grenades. Not technical subjects,
You are a fucking idiot.
I was answering the OP's question, he specifically asked if the strike eagle was sufficient.
It is.
Is it optimal? No.
Is the Bushnell a step up from the strike eagle? Yes.
Is it the equivalent of the Razor? No.
Is it closer to the razor than it is the the strike eagle? Yes.
Let it go, we disagree. Get over it.

You are a fucking idiot.
I was answering the OP's question, he specifically asked if the strike eagle was sufficient.
It is.
Is it optimal? No.
Is the Bushnell a step up from the strike eagle? Yes.
Is it the equivalent of the Razor? No.
Is it closer to the razor than it is the the strike eagle? Yes.
Let it go, we disagree. Get over it.
Oh we can clearly see who the emotional one is here.

You made factually incorrect statements I corrected you.

You are making generalized statements. Ya know the number 5 is technically between 1 and 1,000,000,000. For practical purposes, its not. Nuance and detail are two things you fail to grasp.

No need to cry about it. Just suck it up and drive on.

My bad, I think I missed that in your initial post. That is true then, the PSTs would not work unless you sold your mount and got a 30mm. I do not have experience with the razors yet either, but I have heard nothing but great things, and that for the prices they are going for gently used on the PX can't really be beat for the money. I can only attest to the SE, and as I said I think they are solid for 300-500 dollar scopes. I had a 1x8, it was fun on an AR. For your purposes, I just think as these guys have said, buy once, cry once but you won't regret it. I am in the same boat, watching the market for a good gen II myself right now.
Hes talking about the new 5-25 Strike Eagle, not the lvpo SE. The 5-25 SE is definately a huge step up from the old Strike Eagles and PST and pretty close, but not as nice, as the PST2.

Reactions: TikkaSteve
Oh we can clearly see who the emotional one is here.

You made factually incorrect statements I corrected you.

You are making generalized statements. Ya know the number 5 is technically between 1 and 1,000,000,000. For practical purposes, its not. Nuance and detail are two things you fail to grasp.

No need to cry about it. Just suck it up and drive on.
😃 you didn't provide any facts, merely opinion. Which is what I provided. Opinion.
Where is your empirical, scientific data?

Call Doug @Cameraland.com, buy yourself a bushnell and stick the left over money in your pocket

Last edited:
I got my hands on a strike eagle and looked around 1200 yards with it. If u can afford the razor it is better. It's not double the money better. Once u get over the strike eagle, viper money there are diminishing returns. If u have the money for the razor buy it and dont look back. But if your going to have to shelf the gun for 6 month buy the SE and get to shooting. The SE won't hold u back at all.

Reactions: RanchRifle
I got my hands on a strike eagle and looked around 1200 yards with it. If u can afford the razor it is better. It's not double the money better. Once u get over the strike eagle, viper money there are diminishing returns. If u have the money for the razor buy it and dont look back. But if your going to have to shelf the gun for 6 month buy the SE and get to shooting. The SE won't hold u back at all.
It is when your Chinese piece of shit takes a dump on you at the worst time.

There is a reason people buy proven scopes and Chinese vortexs have abysmal track records.

I usually say buy once cry once. I guess In your case it’s buy twice cry twice.
I’m sorry bad times fell on you. I Wish you the best of luck going forward. Get a razor you’ll be happier and can look through your new badass scope without looking back again.
Ultimately go have fun! If it’s breaking the bank with a razor just get the SE you’ll still have some fun.
Cheers!

The razor is going to be quite ahead of the strike Eagle when it comes to glass quality but for the price the strike eagles is quite hard to beat

Good luck with your choice. My suggestion would have been since you already have 34mm mounts to look at Meopta's Optika6 5-30x56 FFP, MRAD scope. I have had excellent results with mine and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Razor for sure in my opinion. I have only used the 1-6 but looked through the higher magnification Razors and was extremely impressed by their glass clarity and field of view. The strike eagle (again only used the 1-6) is good, but not in the Razor's league. You have a SUPER nice set up already, you might as well buy once cry once and get the much better optic to fit your build.

I’m sorry you got screwed out of $1420. That sucks, however it happened.

I try to avoid things made in China. If I wanted to go budget I would look at the Steiner p4xi 4-16 from Doug at cameraland. Big fan of that scope for $850.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Also sorry to hear about getting screwed 1400 dollars! I have been buying and selling online for some time now and finally got screwed out of $800.00. I had all the proof in the world and my bank or paypal did nothing to help me. Even though I submitted claims with paperwork/evidence. It was a sucky experience and my wife was less than amused haha.

The Razor is a great scope for the money. I’ve got Razors, PSTGen2’s, and a couple of the Diamondback tactical, but recently bought a Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 for my 22lr setup. It’s good scope for the money and has more internal adjust than the Razors and PST’s. Plus it’s a 34mm tube. Only thing it doesn’t have is illum reticle. If you do some hunting around you can find 10-13% off

I voted Razor. And here’s my reason. If someone would’ve went back to me in 2004 when I started getting involved in firearms and shooting and given me a list of the things that I would end up with I would’ve saved many thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars; wasted on things that I did not end up using.

Reactions: supercorndogs