• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Striped lowers

Rlb40x

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Hi guys,I have a quick question. I'm going to pick up 2 ar para striped lowers from my gun smith ffl and my question is can he register one of these for a Pistol build, or does it have to be listed as a pistol from the factory.I've tryied searching this and other forums,but can't really find any thing clear through all the arguing,any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Re: Striped lowers

he sells them to you as stripped lowers, YOU build them as either a rifle or a pistol... there is no federal requirement to "register" non NFA firearms.

might be able to answer about your state laws... IF you have a profile

If your state borders mexico, as 2 rifles, you will have triplicate forms sent to county & atf as it is a multiple sale. If 1 pistol & 1 rifle, you <span style="text-decoration: underline">should</span> have no multiple sale triplicates, but I'm not 100% on this.

I'm pretty sure you can register as a pistol but it can't ever be a shoulder fired weapon always a pistol otherwise it will be a class three short barreled rifle. You dealers verify this I'm not.

kimberseries1 and 2shots...

have you guys even LOOKED at a 4473... the dealer has 3 choices about the type of firearm...

1: Handgun

2: Long gun

3: OTHER... this is where a stripped lower falls... OTHER!

I figured somebody would know, I never look at anything other my yes or no questions!

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm in Ohio and ar pIstols are ok here, I know about the "once a pistol always a pistol" deal. From what I'm understanding these would not be rifle or pistol, but aow, then I can make one a pistol and leave it that way forever, unless. SBR which I have no plans for. My gun smith is in his late 70s and not much up on the Ar platform so I doubt he's ever filled paper work on a striped lower and I didn't want to tell him wrong and get him in trouble listing one as a hand gun. ??

Ok, so just list as other and then when i get home simply pick one and make it a pistol and I'm done, just don't change it ??. Thanks again guys,getting ready to go get them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kimberseries1 and 2shots...

have you guys even LOOKED at a 4473... the dealer has 3 choices about the type of firearm...

1: Handgun

2: Long gun

3: OTHER... this is where a stripped lower falls... OTHER! </div></div>

no, I just have a cheat sheet to help me pass. i'm a mentally-defective-goat-raping-psychotic-pchizophrenic-drug-addicted-felon who "needs his gunz"

Right, <span style="text-decoration: underline">Other</span>, as in, <span style="text-decoration: underline">other that takes external magazine on a semi-automatic platform.</span>

I don't work for the ATF, and I don't write their bylaws. Is a rifle that takes external mags & is semi-auto the same as other that takes external mags & is semi? And if one is a pistol, it's not an other or rifle, I wouldn't <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> it's a multiple sale. But I'll defer to your infinite wisdom.

no... because they are not in fact semi auto...nor are they rifle or pistol... they are simply "other"... they can be built as pistols, rifles, SBRs, semi, single shot, bolt action, etc, etc.... they are "other"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no... because they are not in fact semi auto...nor are they rifle or pistol... they are simply "other"... they can be built as pistols, rifles, SBRs, semi, single shot, bolt action, etc, etc.... they are "other" </div></div>

OK, and not trying to be a smartass, but can an AR receiver be built for bolt action or single shot(besides an adj. gas block)? I'm sure "yes, but why" is the answer; but, for the sake of argument, say it's not possible, does the ATF even care at that point? Or not because it's just an other?

I've worked with an FFL but this particular situation never came up. We came to the conclusion that <span style="font-style: italic">even if</span> an FFL follows all written ATF laws, the ATF can still ding nearly every FFL <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">if they wanted to</span></span>. I'm not talking serious no-no's like selling a pistol to an 18 yr old or a felon, but the really cheesy stuff. There is so much grey area, and quite frankly, even some Gotcha's. I wish I could give a specific example, but I never had a brain to begin with.

I'm trying to help the OP(or myself/others) not get a multiple sale. Probably beating this horse to death, but ATF paperwork/rules are sometimes this maticulous.

They are marked as other as a stripped receiver like all the above said. You make them what you want unless they are marked on the receiver as rifle or pistol. If the lowers are marked multi cal with no rifle or pistol designation you configure the lower how you want to. I recently bought 5 lowers and 4 are rifles and one is a pistol.

Correct.......receiver being the new 'key' word....... make em what you want, minus SBR usage of course, as that's another animal.

I’ve researched this topic thoroughly and those saying a stripped lower should be registered as “Other” are absolutely correct. A knowledgeable FFL would not do otherwise (although I’ve personally witnessed one who started to…) That’s why, IMHO, “pistol-marked” lowers are an absolute joke (and a ridiculously pricey joke, at that). FWIW it’s not: “once a pistol always a “pistol…” as far as I know you can turn a pistol into a rifle any time you want, BUT, once you do it can never go back to being a pistol. So I guess it’s actually “once a rifle <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> a pistol…”
wink.gif

Thanks for all the replies, picked them up yesterday. I wanted one to be a pistol and just wanted to be sure I had my ducks in a row and not cause any grief to my ffl / smith as his primary builds are custom action 22lr bench rest rifles used in ARA , PSL, and IR 50/50,, thanks again,Bob.