• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stripped base screw

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I have a stripped base screw on my savage BTVS that I cant get out. What tools do I need to get it out or does anyone have any advice. Thanks a ton.

Re: stripped base screw

Start with a little penatrant like Kroil or PB blaster, be patient and let it work for serveral hours or over night.

If it is a through hole you may be able use a drill bit at slow speed to drive it through. when the cutting edge starts to bite it will turn the screw.

If it is a blind hole (not through) you can try serveral methods. Depending on the type of driver (Allen or Torx) try tapping the next size up into the hole or try using a torx in the allen and vice versa. A left handed drill bit is another option, use it as mentioned above.

Sometimes an "Air Scribe" or an electric engraver can be used to walk it out, or a small punch and a small hammer to rotate it to start with if it is tight.

If the above doesn't work take it to a 'Smith or a Machine shop and have it machined out.

Use a drill bit to drill the head off the screw.

This will take tension off the screw and let you get the base out of the way to avoid damage.

Now you are left with the shank of the screw sticking out to grab with vice grips and back it out.

Its an allen headed screw that has turned into a round hole. I tried moving to the next size up with no luck but will now try to drill it out.

I'd try a little extractor from Ace Hardware or such prior to drilling head off.

extractor. I had the same thing happen. Lowes, Homedepot, Ace, amazon they all have them.

Worked like a charm for me. I just threw it in the drill press, clamped the action so it would not move, and out came the screw.

Just take your time, and like anything prep time takes more time than anything else

Get a left hand drill bit to cut the hole with as well. Give something else to bite into..
Chad

Chad,

The Grabbits are run counter clockwise. You make a good point though as one can sometimes reach nirvanna running a regular drill bit counter clockwise.

Nope, run a left handed drill bit backwards (correct for it). Yes they do have them, and use them before you are taking an extractor. You will be cutting in the way you want the screw to come out. I have one just for the extractors.
Use if you can find one.
Chad

Have lots of different ones in the tool box for different occasions. Everything from left hand drill bits to removers for bolts that have a little bit still above the surface, to purpose built ones that have a left hand drill bit in the middle of the extractor that starts drilling and then when it gets down enough grabs and goes, to left hand high angled ones that just chisel in and even a few that will remove broken drill bits and broken taps. About a thousand dollars worth of stuff and only about 1/4 of them actually do what they are designed to do.

Thanks guys, I did get it out. Here is what I did.

First- Went to Ace hardware and bought a little extractor. Read the instructions and gave it my best shot. What I found was the extractor had a real tough time grabbing ahold of the screw.
Second--I then drilled a small hole with my drill press and tried sticking the extractor down in there again. NO LUCK.

Lastly--I decided to take a bigger drill bit and carefully drill the head off. The base became loose and feel off. This left me with a little nob sticking out of my base hole. Actually two of them. Sounds real dumb but I Kid you not, I was able to turn the screws off by hand after the base was out of the way. Easy enough. I then mounted a 20 MOA base and reattached my Luppy 12X. Thanks again guys. WIthout you I would have paid one of the two local gunsmiths $30 per screw. LOL what a JOKE.

JC

Guy brings me a rifle to change out the bases , they are so tight I cannot budge them , they are torque headed and I broke 2 different torque head bits and not one of them loosened up any .

So I started drilling , when I got the heads drilled off they were so tight , they sounded like a 22 going off in my shop . The remaining studs unscrewed by hand . Still have not figured out what the guy used to tighten those screws .

Glad it worked out for you in the same way .

Do you have to special order LH bits? I haven't looked for them at my usual haunts that end in "DEPOT" or "OWES". The Grabbits solved the problem I had with primitive Pete over-torqueing, breaking, or chewing screw heads and bolts into uselessness. And I deal with them often.

But Grabbits only go so large and larger bolts do come up sometimes.

Tools are out there, if you know how to find.
It's easier for some to do than explain.
Smaller the screw, tap, or drill, the harder!

Off the shelf left hand bits?
Try MSC.
Left hand may remove screw when it bites.
Also prep for any loctite you may have used.
You may only get one shot with the drill!

the left hand drill bit would be the first try for me.sometimes just the bit will spin it the screw/bolt out for you.but as previously mentioned.patience and planning will payoff in these little circumstances.