• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stripped base screw

"Partridge"

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2009
Hollywood, FL
hey i just got a rem 700 p,one of the base screw holes is stripped out.should i retap it with the same size and see if it takes.or go one size larger and be done with it.also if anyone knows the screw/bolt size please share so i can get the tap and bit ordered.

Re: stripped base screw

To have the entire threaded section stripped out isn't that common. Is it the entire threaded area or just a few threads at the top?

If it's just a few threads just chase them with the correct tap (be very careful if it's the front hole) and get a new base screw that's the correct length.

Brownells make a special screw to address problems like yours.
it's called the gunsmith's ass saver or something like that.
Call em @ 800-741-0015 and ask for the tech staff, they'll put you right on it.
Second option is to redrill all (and mount) to use 8-40 screws which are far stronger if you anticipate a heavy caliber and a heavy scope.

ok thanks for the input.it pretty much is the complete thread is stripped,i am going to put a on piece base on it,i will call brownells monday thanks for the tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is the third hole out from the rear.thanks again for the help </div></div>

I would still try chasing it first.

ok thanks,what size tap should i order to case it out with,i know it is a bottom tap just unsure of the size.