• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Stripping DuraCoat off a Nightforce.

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
I have been stripping the DuraCoat of my NXS with Lacquer thinner. It was taking a lot of elbow grease. I talked too ARP and he suggested Gel stripper. I picked up some Citristrip, boy does that stuff work good. All you have too do is apply a thick coat over the DuraCoat and let it sit. The DuraCoat starts to wrinkle. Once it starts to wrinkle up just wipe it off with something. Looks good as new. Just thought I would help everyone out that wants to strip DuraCoat off a scope. It is a very easy way to do it. The stripping gel doesn't have any fumes what so ever.

Thanks ARP!

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

Re: Stripping DuraCoat off a Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still stripping it. Will post a picture when done. </div></div>

Solid copy. Patiently awaiting goodness.

Man thanks for the heads up! I've been thinking of stripping my rings.

can't wait to see the after pics, i've stripped a couple things, but not with the gel, and always had a milky looking haze left over

To get rid of the milky haze, use the citristrip afterwash. Its like non smelly mineral spirits.

thanks, i just rubbed and rubbed, will try that, thanks 762

I spent about 3 hours with lacquer thinner to do about 1/10 of the scope and then about 3 hours to completely strip the rest of it with the gel. Most of the time was letting the gel do it's magic and about 15 minutes of working on it.

Coat the item you are stripping and wrap it in a wal mart bag, it keeps the gel wet and seems to work a little faster for me.
I have used that and safe strip on optics, actions and numerous stocks.
Just don't let it sit on fiberglass any longer than necessary.
Scope looks great, just like new.

Duracoat isn't really as durable as the manufacturer wants you to believe.

Now gunkote or cerakote..... that is another story.

The rings on the rifle (After stripped) are different. They are Badgers that have never been painted. I can get pictures of the stripped rings if wanted.

Rhett, just curious but why did you strip it down? are you repainting the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rhett, just curious but why did you strip it down? are you repainting the rifle?</div></div>

Going to have ARP paint the barreled action and camo the stock.

Nice, what pattern? Is it a hunting theme or more tacticool?

More Tacticool, Going with Tan barreled action, bottom metal, and bipod. Not sure on the stock pattern yet, thinking about a desert flectarn.

how bout some CLOSE pics of the "after". it looks like the haze that was mentioned before is on the scope now.

chuck

looks good to me, nice job az, good to know that stuff comes off. though all my stuff is goin to be cerakoted, lol

I will get close ups today or tomorrow. I whipped it off with acetone after stripping it all.

Never stripped a scope nor is it on my bucket list. But if i ever think about it I'll send it to you. You do nice work. JimDee

Nice, glad I ran across this. I have a mini Aimpoint I want to get the paint off of, I'll have to try this.
smile.gif

I am amazed that the chemicals/fumes did not affect optics coatings, seals or other elements of the scope!

I don't think I would have attempted this! Great work and glad it came out well and to know that it's possible.

Cheers, Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should work even faster with Krylon right ? </div></div>
acetone is all you need with krylon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should work even faster with Krylon right ?</div></div>

Yes. I also tried it on Krylon. It does work a lot faster. Just put some stripper or, let sit for 3-5 min and you should be good to wipe it off.

Just stripped camo off a scope using the citristrip. Works great!! Took about 2 hours to get all the grooves cleaned out good. Thanks for the thread.

DC wasn't applied correctly if it's coming off with stripper. ie. they didn't blast the surface. IMO

I recently Dura Coated my lower and now I'm a little concerned with how durable it is. However, I did wash it in TR Cleaner-Degreaser and then sandblasted it before applying the Dura Coat. It started as bare metal, so I didn't have to remove any other coating.
Crossing my fingers,
myerfire

I was just going to post about removing Krylon from a scope, barrel and stock. Guess this answers my question!