• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stripping out action screw heads

athhud

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2007
Florala, Alabama
I've got an older Savage 110 that I pieced together from random parts. I didn't have a front action screw, so I ordered one from Brownells. I threaded it in, set my wrench, and started torquing. Around 25" lbs the allen bit spun free and rounded out the slot. I've ordered a total of 3 screws now, used different bits (same size, different makes) and all of them have rounded out at less than 30" lbs. I've checked the wrench calibration and used the bits on the rear action screw as well as the screws of another Savage 110. The only screws that I am having problems with are the ones from Brownells (which I believe to come from Savage?). Is this a common problem? All of the other screws that I've messed with will take up to 60" lbs with no issues. Brownells has replaced them all with just a phone call, but I have no use for screws that can't be torqued.... What is a better source for this type of fastener? I have to believe that I'd be getting the same thing if I ordered from Savage, but that's just a hunch.

Re: Stripping out action screw heads

This is the stock to action screw, not a base screw. The only place it could bottom out is the bolt head and that is not the case.

Are you using the right size wrench? I believe they are 5/32" kind of an odd ball.

You could use a Remington screw shortened to the correct length. Or get some from a hardware store. 1/4"x28 tpi.

Ive had the same problem, they are in fact 5/32 allen. Id suggest either getting a very high quality allen wrench, or more preferably finding torx head screws to replace them with.

Torx would be ideal, I just haven't run across one yet. I've tried wheeler engineering bits, craftsman bits, and snap-on bits in 5/32.

Just go to your local fastener supplier and get a better quality bolt. It's cheaper anyway...

My "local" suppliers are limited to Lowe's and the local Mom and Pop hardware store... Not much of a selection there. I'll have to find it online.