• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Struggling to lose the extra #s? So was I.

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
But I've lost 35 pounds so far this year and it is staying off.

[Warning: long post...]

I have struggled with my weight for years. I broke my back twice in one year and put on fifty pounds in the month after the second break due to depression and inactivity. That was in 1994, and the fifty gradually grew to seventy pounds.

I have all but starved myself for years, cutting my caloric intake down to 1600 or fewer daily. I walk between four and seven miles a day on concrete at my job and lift heavy merchandise. At the end of the day (or in the morning for that matter) I do NOT feel like going to the gym or putting more miles on my feet. Horrible shin splints mean that if I try to run, I just end up crippled for a couple days...I mean crawling-on-my-knees-to-the-bathroom crippled.

The fat belly hung in there. The lack of weight loss further depressed me and guess what? When I'm depressed, I tend to turn to food for solace. Which leads to self-loathing for eating more. Bad cycle, folks.

So I went back to basics. I determined that my metabolism was (obviously) lagging. How to stimulate it? By eating more, of course! But more than that, by never letting my body stop metabolizing and assimilating. This means eating smarter.

I never miss breakfast, which is half a bagel with lean sliced ham and half a slice of American cheese, followed by a cup of yogurt. Then two hours later, I have a few peanut butter crackers. Two hours after that I have lunch, which is usually grilled boneless skinless chicken breast or a can of solid albacore tuna often with some rice followed by a piece of fruit. Two hours further into my day sees another cup of yogurt or a few more peanut butter crackers. When I get home in another two and a half hours, I grab a granola bar or a piece of fruit. I eat an early dinner a couple hours later and it always has a salad, a hot veggie, and lean meat (often wild game) or fish. If I get the munchies before bedtime, I have a handful of peanuts or some cucumber slices with a little bit of buttermilk ranch dressing. Oh, and I always have my stainless steel water bottle with me. I found that many times when I felt hungry, I was actually thirsty. I also cut out anything that has high fructose corn syrup in it. I still have desserts, usually fruit salad or pineapple, but sometimes ice cream or a candy bar, but the portions are small and I make an effort to only have the "bad stuff" a couple times a week.

Obviously I am never hungry now. I actually find that I sometimes have to make myself eat. But since I have started eating more and smaller meals, I never feel like I am denying myself and the weight is gradually coming off and it is staying off. My attitude is more positive, and I am confident that in a year I will be back to my pre-injury weight, if not a little under.

Sorry this is such a long post, but if any of you out there are struggling, please know that you are not alone and there are ways to help your body "work itself out" and it doesn't involve starving yourself or going on some radical diet. Just avoid the fast food and soda and eat regularly.

Oh yeah, and as an added benefit, my GIRD (reflux) has been under control sans medication since I began my "diet". An occasional Tums keeps me from having to sleep sitting up on the couch. BONUS!

Re: Struggling to lose the extra #s? So was I.

For most people if they cut out any high-fructose corn syrup they will see an immediate cut.

And get up off the couch during commercials - I do this 20 times a day, that's 20 crunches a day just by getting up...

Then there's the dojo time.
smile.gif

Good post tho!

Everybody reacts to depression in different ways but it seems that you have at least changed the way in which you act out. I will give you a pat on the back and tell you to just make it a part of your life and it is not always about weight loss. It is you for now on so make the most of it. I do hope you give yourself a cheat meal every now and again just to really wake up that metabolism. The body has a mind of its own - the man within the man if you will, and has to be dealt with. I work out all the time and it is my "high." When I ride long bike rides like 62 miles and longer it is a gut check for me and quite a thrill when I accomplish it. Now, it is time to go to a 100 miles - always a new challenge to be had.

Good on you.

The gym is a hard thing to go to especially after work, with life etc. I still manage to go 5-6 times a week, but many days I have no motivation, but like you I have trouble of keeping it off.

Do things that are fun to do but still require hard work. Crossfit stuff such as Tire Flipping is a lot of fun, I also pound on a Keiser sled at the station, when I don't feel like lifting. I hate long distance running, but do a lot of biking. Get into swimming also as its good full body exercise and your shin splints shouldn't bother you.

Again congrats on the weight loss.

Congratulations. Keep it up.

Thing is, I used to be in fantastic shape. I had a 56 inch chest, 28 inch waist, 32 inch thighs, 18 inch biceps, etc. and a body fat content of 5-6%. I was deadlifting 500#s for reps, benching 305 for reps, and leg pressing 900 for reps, all at a bodyweight of 187. I studied tai kwon do and taijutsu, played football, competed in track and field events, and scuba'd every chance I got. I had gained a little weight and lost some conditioning before my back injuries, but I was still a BMF.

To end up nearly 100 pounds heavier than what I weighed in my prime and unable to lift 200# off the ground was enough to make me miserable. It also hurts to go into a gym when I know I look like a blob, and I'm going to see folks nudging their workout buddies and mutter about the fatass struggling to lift weights that most middle schoolers could manage...and <span style="font-style: italic">I'M</span> that fatass. It does NOT make me want to buy a membership.

But at least now I can see light at the end of the tunnel. As I drop weight and gain energy, I can add some resistance training at home. As I add resistance training, I'll get firmer and stronger. Then when I do get into the gym, I won't feel like I'm the source of disgust for all the fit folk who hopefully won't ever know the pain of snapping a vertebrae twice and losing what they worked so hard to achieve and maintain.