• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Struggling to see details through my scope.

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
I don't know if it's from my type 1 diabetes, bad luck or I just don't know what I am doing.

I am using a Leupold VX3I LR 4.5-14 power scope. I usually shoot the small target dots (see picture) at 100 yards. At 14 power I cannot see the black centers, it almost like a shadow on a solid orange dot. I don't know if the highest power in the scope is too much for 100 or what. If I go back to 8 and below I can make out the centers, impacts ect.

However, no matter what I do it seems like the parrallax is always off. Anything other than the infinite setting, the cross hair either floats or the image is so blurry I can't even make out the targets.

I've adjusted the eye piece to no avail, I am wanting to make sure I am not doing something wrong before I sent it back to Leupold.

CeAkloI.jpg

Have you had a recent eye exam? I almost sent a custom rifle back to the seller with an angry note because it wouldn’t group, I thought I was seeing clearly enough through scope to make hits but I really wasn’t.

One of the good ol boys at the range overheard me complaining and put 3 shots through the same hole with the rifle. An eye exam later, I was +1.5 on my contacts and I could do the same.

most scopes lose quality/clarity towards maximum magnification, so this could be a trait of that particular model, some being worse than others.
make sure it is perfectly in focus (as much as possible) is relation to parallax.

Reactions: Steel head
Have you had a recent eye exam? I almost sent a custom rifle back to the seller with an angry note because it wouldn’t group, I thought I was seeing clearly enough through scope to make hits but I really wasn’t.

One of the good ol boys at the range overheard me complaining and put 3 shots through the same hole with the rifle. An eye exam later, I was +1.5 on my contacts and I could do the same.
I had one not long ago actually. New glasses and everything., Nothing had shifted much since the last time. Least thats what the Doc said lol.

most scopes lose quality/clarity towards maximum magnification, so this could be a trait of that particular model, some being worse than others.
make sure it is perfectly in focus (as much as possible) is relation to parallax.

Is there some sort of a process or procedure to readjusting focus? I've adjusted it before but was not able to get it great...

What works for me is I use a white wall in my house and focus the cross hairs with the eye piece until they are sharp the wall will not be in focus. Be sure to look away often or your eye will adjust for the out of focus.

Ask someone you trust at the range to try your scope/rifle.

Every newbie trying to zero for the first time struggles... until a more experienced shooter helps out.

Ask someone you trust at the range to try your scope/rifle.

Every newbie trying to zero for the first time struggles... until a more experienced shooter helps out.
Rifle is already zeroed and shoots fine. I’m questioning if the scope’s lenses are out adjustment. It’s blurry and only the infinity setting for parralax works the cross hairs always float no matter the distance on 10 power and up.

I’m going to give a few weeks and watch my sugars extremely closely and see if it is my eyes. Then try N0gloc’s suggestion. I did something similar when I first got it but wasn’t perfect.

Sugar was up evidently around 200 today so god only knows...

Last edited:
Reactions: DMP
Rifle is already zeroed and shoots fine. I’m questioning if the scope’s lenses are out adjustment. It’s blurry and only the infinity setting for parralax works the cross hairs always float no matter the distance on 10 power and up.

I’m going to give a few weeks and watch my sugars extremely closely and see if it is my eyes. Then try N0gloc’s suggestion. I did something similar when I first got it but wasn’t perfect.

Sugar was up evidently around 200 today so god only knows...
I wasn't calling you a newbie btw.

Someone else should be able to tell you immediately if it's your eyes or the scope.

Though there was a Barska "spotting scope" I looked through once that was like looking through the bottom of a milk bottle with some milk still in it.

It doesn't sound like an eyesight issue to me. If it were your eyesight, it would occur on all magnification levels.

If it improves on lower magnification and grows worse on higher magnification, then it sounds to me like an issue with the optic.

Is there some sort of a process or procedure to readjusting focus? I've adjusted it before but was not able to get it great...
yes, but there may be others that are more "expert" to explain it better.
here is what i have learned to do it.
keep in mind that your eyes are self focusing, so they will try to adjust even when your scope is not perfect (like auto-focus).
this means you need to be comfortable and be able to look through the scope quickly and then look away...
set your parallax or side focus to infinity.
point your scope into the sky or some blank wall in the distance. you are not trying to focus on what is far away but just want to get the reticle as focused as possible. bring the scope out of focus and then adjust and look quickly (again without allowing your eye to adjust). do this until you get the sharpest reticle (go past to ensure it only gets worse and then go back).
once the reticle is now in "perfect focus" see if you can focus on distant objects better using the side focus.

Reactions: shoobe01
...keep in mind that your eyes are self focusing, so they will try to adjust even when your scope is not perfect (like auto-focus).
this means you need to be comfortable and be able to look through the scope quickly and then look away...
This part. LOTS of experienced folks will run against this when tired, med issues, dehydrated, or up against the edge of optical systems.

I have awful eyes, and have just re-assembled and been getting used to one of my guns, and it's taken a while to get it all dialed in to be as sharp as possible. When done, what I do is set the occular lenscap to be straight up when in focus (then can make turning it the right angle part of my checks).

One weird one is that I wear progressive lenses so my eyepiece has a RANGE of focus points. My head is not at the same angle when standing/sitting vs prone, so I look through different bits of my glasses and for best scope performance, have to tweak the diopter for each of those. That can also bite people who focus up at home, then are in a different position when shooting.