• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stubborn Fouling on Baffles

107driver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello All,

I'm new to rimfire suppressor cleaning and already screwing it up. I have a TBAC that I've put about 100 rounds through. Disassembled it and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner using aircraft-safe Extreme Simple Green, 40 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. Most of the crud came off and I tried brass brushes with CLP and 99% isopropyl alcohol but the last boogers refuse to leave. Any suggestions? Not sure if it's lead or carbon.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7765.jpg
    IMG_7765.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 51
Emotional damage from my poor parenting? I'm actually ok with it being clean only where it needs to be, I'm just not savvy enough to know which bits NEED to be shiny.

None it's a suppressor that is going to get dirty the very next time you shoot it... Spend that saved time on the therapy from your childhood emotional damage....it's clean enough where you got it

Some people have a conniption over CLR but I put my TBAC 22 TD baffles in a small tub of CLR for a hour then brush it off with a wire brush.

As long as it is bubbling with the carbon, I keep using it. When it is time to recycle, I recycle it with my old motor oil at my local Autozone.

YMMV, happy shooting

I clean mine by disassembling the suppressor and placing the baffles in a small zip lock freezer bag and filling it with BoreTech's Carbon C4 Cleaner. I then put the zip lock bag in my ultrasonic cleaner and run it 10 times (my ultrasonic cleaner has a max of 480 seconds per run) and then rinse the baffles off in the sink and let dry on a shop towel. Comes out nice and shiny (blame my Drill Sergeant for the need for shiny).

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
I clean mine by disassembling the suppressor and placing the baffles in a small zip lock freezer bag and filling it with BoreTech's Carbon C4 Cleaner. I then put the zip lock bag in my ultrasonic cleaner and run it 10 times (my ultrasonic cleaner has a max of 480 seconds per run) and then rinse the baffles off in the sink and let dry on a shop towel. Comes out nice and shiny (blame my Drill Sergeant for the need for shiny).
And you have the bag floating in another liquid?

Not something I would attempt to do but I heard a few saying they put it on their AR’s to clean out the deposits But every manufacturer will say this voids the warranty.

TBAC customer service was helpful as always and recommends "the dip," 50% vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide soak for 12 hours, then caution with the resulting nasty liquid.

If you have an air compressor one of the cheapo Harbor Freight blast cabinets and walnut media makes quick work of cleaning.

I have shot thousands of rounds thru my rimfire suppressor and never taken it apart.... hmm. Should I be??

I wipe the tube and end caps down. The baffles go in CLR

This is 10 minutes in clr then rinsed with warm water and brushed under the water. Let dry. Hit with a touch of rem oil and reassemble. Couldn’t be easier

Probably 300 rounds of SK match fired that day prior to cleaning
IMG_5526.jpeg
IMG_5528.jpeg
IMG_5529.jpeg

If I'm not lazy then wet tumbling with hot water and dawn dish soap works great. When I am lazy, CLR gets them damn near spotless. These are 17-4 SS baffles, just FYI.

q25n25n.jpg

j63P48a.jpg

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
CLR is the simplest I've used, I let my stainless baffles soak overnight and the stuff brushes right off. Plus CLR is also cheap.