• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck bolt

Ground Control

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2023
South Carolina
New to this site but been shooting and hunting since around 8 years old. Early today I shot my older model Tikka, (only has roughly 50 rounds flung) after I shot I can not pull the bolt back to sling case out. I have read that the firing pin can cock or decock when cleaning. Not my case. I know how to clean it and take it apart as I do all guns, blah blah. I shot roughly 15 rounds through it last year and when season was over put it in the safe. Today, shot once at paper and bolt is jammed. Was able to rotate it up and down once after I shot it. After that one rotate down and bak up that's all she wrote. Anyone have this happen?

Ammo case issue or dirty as fuck chamber.

Rotate bolt all the way up in the unlock position. Tap bolt handle lightly with rubber mallet.
Had gun "professionally cleaned" at end of season. My thought along with my buddy is the casing if out of round or some shit. Going to take it to gunsmith tomorrow.

Bolt was not damaged when I put it up last year. Everything worked perfect. Same hornady ammo in the mag
I meant it got damaged from when you shot that bullet. I had a Tikka bolt crack and experienced the same thing. Tikka customer service is nonexistent.

It’s probably a stuck case like TheGerman stated. Rubber mallet or a good smack with your palm. You can have someone tap a cleaning rod while you smack the bolt handle if needed.

Reactions: FredHammer
I meant it got damaged from when you shot that bullet. I had a Tikka bolt crack and experienced the same thing. Tikka customer service is nonexistent.
I did and still am looking at it. Scratching my damn head. Nothing physical looks cracked or broke. I took it all apart. Even with the trigger off I didn't see anything abnormal but yet the bolt still will not pull back. One more strong drink and I going to take a 3lb mini sledge to the fukn thing

• Haha
Reactions: JFR and FredHammer
Had gun "professionally cleaned" at end of season.
I liken that to gas station sushi. Take control and knowledge of your own gear. Did they leave oil in the barrel and it caused an over pressure? Edited: 3lb mini sledge and a stiff drink. I'm dead! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: R_A_W
I did and still am looking at it. Scratching my damn head. Nothing physical looks cracked or broke. I took it all apart. Even with the trigger off I didn't see anything abnormal but yet the bolt still will not pull back. One more strong drink and I going to take a 3lb mini sledge to the fukn thing
Do use a strike buffer on the bolt handle, like a piece of wood or nylon.

I prefer the combat method being that I don't tote a dead-blow or rubber mallet with me, and I'm not letting a stuck case ruin my entire day... Which mean i'm not even going to tell you how we open stuck bolts at the range... Let's just say it involves a strong table top (or any strong & sharp 90º edge) and some questionable-at-best weapon abuse... 🤣

But you can also rotate the bolt up into the unlock position, and then 1 good quick pop on the bolt handle with a foot long chunk of 2x4 and it'll send that bolt back and sling that stuck case flying. Done that plenty of times when a load gets too hot, or a work-hardened case wall ruptures in a magnum rifle. Don't let a stuck case ruin your day.

All jokes aside, I ain't letting it run my night. Got 20 other guns to use but going back to work forva week on Tuesday then off for a week. I will drop it off at the gunsmith Tuesday on the way to work.

All jokes aside, I ain't letting it run my night. Got 20 other guns to use but going back to work forva week on Tuesday then off for a week. I will drop it off at the gunsmith Tuesday on the way to work.
He's literally going to do the exact same thing we're telling you to do. LOL You could save yourself some time and money by just getting a mallet or a 2x4.

He's going to forcefully pull the bolt handle up into the unlock position, and then tap on it with a mallet or a chunk of 2x4. As barbaric as it seems, that's literally the only way to remove stuck case in a bolt-action. The bolt HAS to be unlocked before it can move backwards. There is no real finesse to it.

He's literally going to do the exact same thing we're telling you to do. LOL You could save yourself some time and money by just getting a mallet or a 2x4.

He's going to forcefully pull the bolt handle up into the unlock position, and then tap on it with a mallet or a chunk of 2x4. As barbaric as it seems, that's literally the only way to remove stuck case in a bolt-action. The bolt HAS to be unlocked before it can move backwards. There is no real finesse to it.
"Nobody is coming to help, you must self rescue!"

Yeah, there is no gunsmithing secret to this problem.

Reactions: FuhQ
Since you don't seem to be shooting it a lot I'll ask... you're not shooting steel cased ammo are you?

(working at the range I saw a few people break bolts/bolt handles on lesser designs, trying to beat open bolt guns shooting steel case stuff)

There is actually one trick a crafty and welled tooled gunsmith might resort to if it appears that damage to the bolt would result from so much force being required. You can put the barrel in a barrel vice and use an external action wrench to unscrew the barrel.

Point muzzle in a safe direction (up and forward).

Hold bolt handle firmly in unlocked position.

Slam butt plate on concrete bench pulling down on bolt handle.

That usually pops a stuck case free.

No hammer required.

Good luck.
Similarly, place the butt on the ground, muzzle up. Open the bolt, apply boot like you’re going to use it as a step. No impact. Just your fat.

Reactions: Modoc
Yep. Beretta USA. One of, if not THE, worst customer services in the industry. Tikka would do well to explore other options if possible.

Yep. Beretta USA. One of, if not THE, worst customer services in the industry. Tikka would do well to explore other options if possible.

How would they explore other options? Tikka is owned by Beretta Holdings.

My thought along with my buddy is the casing if out of round or some shit.
If the case was that out of round you should have felt resistance to the bolt when you went to close it somewhere. Just a thought.

When you had it professionally cleaned last year before you put it away did you run a dry patch down the bore and chamber before shooting it? If not and there was oil/solvent in the chamber and when you fired it this can to an extent prevent the case body from biting the chamber walls when the round goes off. All the pressure and thrust goes to the bolt face. The case will stretch and tighten up the whole works and the bolt can be hard to open. Seen it plenty of times.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

How would they explore other options? Tikka is owned by Beretta Holdings.
That`s an excellent question. I don`t think I realized that to be honest. I guess they`re stuck. Good thing Tikka makes a good quality rifle. Problem is, with mechanical things, made by ANYBODY, bad things WILL happen.

Beretta is the reason I now own custom actions. If they were willing to import all the left handed options Tikka makes I’d likely never have jumped ship. Now I don’t own a single Tikka.

Possibly the gunsmith who professionally cleaned it left some grease or excess oil in the chamber? I'd wrap a leather glove around the bolt and then pound it. Good luck though and hope it works out with minimal work.