• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck Case Lee FL Sizer

GreenMtnRidgeRunner13

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2010
Brookfield, VT
Ok. My first stuck case. .300 Win Mag. Using the One Shot spray lube. Thought I lubed 'em up pretty good. They seemed to be sizing harder than normal, but I sized 56 cases before this one. It just pulled the shell holder over the ridge, didn't pull the head off or anything. Question is...what is the best case remover to use? The decapping pin is stuck inside. I know I've seen a thread about case removers, but couldn't find what I needed. The things I have tried so far are stomping around in my basement swearing and then the procedures that came with the Lee dies and neither seemed to help my situation.

Re: Stuck Case Lee FL Sizer

freezing it over night usually works

Drill through the primer pocket with a #7 drill
tap with a 1/4 - 20 tpi tap
place in a vise and put a 5/8" socket over the case
put a 1/4" washer on a 1 1/2" 1/4 inch bolt
thread the bolt through the socket and washer
thread the bolt into the tapped hole on the case head
tighten the screw and as the slack is taken out the case will start moving.

Use a little more case lube.

Most die makers offer a stuck case removal kit for less than $20. If you have what I mentioned above, you have almost everything that's in the kit.

You should be able to loosen the locking nut for the decapping rod and take it off, then try to hammer it out from the top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GrnMtnRidgeRunnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. My first stuck case. .300 Win Mag. Using the One Shot spray lube. Thought I lubed 'em up pretty good. They seemed to be sizing harder than normal, but I sized 56 cases before this one. It just pulled the shell holder over the ridge, didn't pull the head off or anything. Question is...what is the best case remover to use? The decapping pin is stuck inside. I know I've seen a thread about case removers, but couldn't find what I needed. The things I have tried so far are stomping around in my basement swearing and then the procedures that came with the Lee dies and neither seemed to help my situation. </div></div>

If you don't have the patience to try freezing the die overnight then Place the die in a padded vice, unscrew that decapping stem and then either knock the case out with a punch or extract it using the drill/tap/socket 1/4-20 screw trick.

No stuck case remover method will work until you pull that decapper stem anyway. First things first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be able to loosen the locking nut for the decapping rod and take it off, then try to hammer it out from the top. </div></div>

This works great on Lee dies, I have one that likes to stick .223 brass. I remove that lock nut and use a brass hammer on the decapping pin to drive the brass out.

Use the Hornady lube on your trailer hitch ball. Get a better lube. Lots of guys like the wipe on stuff. I like the home-made spray. Hornady gives lots of people difficulties like that from what I read on here. JMHO

I have a "Fat 50" ammo can I keep about half full of "Varisol". For you younger people, it's similar to kerosene. I don't think you can find it any more. But I clean out my dies after each session of loading a particular batch. Then I rinse with either alcohol or charcoal lighter fluid and blow dry with either canned air or most likey air from my compressor. A shotgun cleaning patch lightly coated with a light oil and wrapped around the right size wad of Q-tips is the last thing I wipe it out with. Then at the start of another session I wipe everything out and go again.

The dies on the Dillon get wiped out with Q-tips.

Not a lot any brand of dies can do to prevent stuck cases if the cases aren't lubed properly. From what I read on the net, "easy to use" spray lubes are also the easiest to use incorrectly.

The best way I have found to use the spray on lubes, is to over spray them on purpose and let it fully dry TWICE. The only time I've stuck a spray lube case was when it was still somewhat wet. Alcohol doesn't really lube well.

I tend to favor using Imperial (now Redding) sizing die wax. Then wipe it off with an old T shirt.

I stuck one in a lee die then immediately stuck one in a redding die last week using the one shot lube.

So redding sent me a bunch of there sizing wax for free and I through the one shot out.

I'll take anybody's One Shot if they don't want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take anybody's One Shot if they don't want it. </div></div>

me too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take anybody's One Shot if they don't want it. </div></div>

I'll give you the rest of a can if you've got a tourqe wrench I can use to mount a scope and base!

If you read the directions completely and follow them correctly, the spray stuff works like a charm. Or I wouldn't be using it on the Dillon 650.

Sounds like dirty dies or dirty cases, I cant see how its possible to stick a case with one shot. That stuff is slicker than snot.

I hardly feel any resistance when resizing my brass with one shot.

CKA has a sweat method for using one shot that's efficient and highly affective. Anyone that has taken his reloading class can attest to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take anybody's One Shot if they don't want it. </div></div>

I'll give you the rest of a can if you've got a tourqe wrench I can use to mount a scope and base! </div></div>

I'll be in the garage all day tomorrow. My wife is doing a garage sale (barf) so I have to "regulate fools". Anyway, come over if you want 972 824 8832

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dallas12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweat </div></div>

lol - sweet? Yeah never had a struck case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I read on the net, "easy to use" spray lubes are also the easiest to use incorrectly.</div></div>

Just one. All the others I have tried are much more forgiving.

OS works if you use about twice the amount of other sprays, let it dry and let it dry some more. Still not as slick as anything else I've tried.

Just remember. An old man told me one time, "there are those who have stuck a case and those who are about to." I didn't stick a case until I had been loading for over 25 years. I got a little complacent. So I did it twice in a single month. Go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember. An old man told me one time, "there are those who have stuck a case and those who are about to." I didn't stick a case until I had been loading for over 25 years. I got a little complacent. So I did it twice in a single month. Go figure. </div></div>

Eye of the Tiger, Victor.

I stuck my very first case. Young, no rank GI trying to save a buck. Forget what I used for lube, but it didn't work.

Please define "Every so often" Do you clean every use, so many rounds, etc.?

Thank you to everyone for your help and it does seem like a dirty die problem. Usually it is effort free to size with that die, but was difficult that day on a couple of different lots of brass, which had been cleaned before using the one shot.

To clarify on one thing. I have taken the nut off the decapping pin, but the pin still will not come free. I can pull it up out of the way to try the bolt method and that is what I will have to do as the freezing didn't do it.

I have stuck a few 300wm cases in my dies. In fact, the first case I ever tried to size got stuck so bad I had to send the die back to redding. You really need to lube the hell out of the first few cases with 300wm.

Thanks for the response, but this is of no help. I stated that I already had tried the method described in this thread and the only other value would have been to warn me about the one shot. That warning would not have helped either, as my time machine is also broken down on me, rough week...

I would unscrew the nut holding the top of the decapping pin. Then I would take the die with stuck case out of the press. Finally, bang the now floating decapping pin head on some thick wooden block and you should be able after a few whacks to hammer the brass out.