• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stuck case

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I have a stuck case in a Redding body die. Any miracle solutions to getting it out. I am done using Lee Lube. Thanks

Re: Stuck case

If you need to pull it out now, and don't have a stuck case puller (which would seem likely!) you can do a couple of field expedient measures. I am not familiar with this die so don't know if you can remove the expander/deprime stem. If you can then it is tits to knock the case out!

If not then:

1) Pull the die from the press, drill out the primer pocket all the way through with a 13/64" drill. Tap with a 1/4"-20 tap. After tapping, insert the die into a padded vice (protect the threads with tape), upside down. Insert a 1/4"-20 bolt of reasonable length and, using a fulcrum resting on the top of your vice, beside the upturned die, lever out the case from the die with the claw of a hammer or pry bar. Be careful and you'll have it out with little trouble. A coarse self drilling screw or bolt will serve the same purpose if you don't have the drill and tap option. Just make sure the self driller hasa good bite on the case head befor you attempt removal.

2) You could toss the die into the freezer for an hour or so and possibly break the vacuum that has locked the case into the die. But you'll still have to knock the case out carefully to avoid damaging the die. And, as a progressive press owner, I'm not sure how you would get the shell holder reindexed on the head of the case, in order to use the press to pull the csae from the frozen die.

3) Buy a stuck case remover and follow directions!

Good luck and don't do like Brut4c and destroy anything!
laugh.gif

QQ gives some very solid advice. Another thing to try is a can of "duster" turned upside down and applied to ONLY the brass of the case will help shrink the brass just like placing the whole thing in the freezer will do. Except this way the steel isn't through-chilled as well, so it's a better "break free"

I've used that a couple times for a friend who still swears by his "One Stuck" case lube.

I'm 99% sure that you can take the die stem apart and just drop a punch through the die and pop the case out with a hammer. That's the easiest way.

The body die has no de priming stem, I was able to put a punch down and smack it with a hammer but nothing happened. I was scared to hit it too hard. I will try the freezing technique with the "dustoff" then I will drill and tap. Thanks

I bought a factory refurbished drill press, and two sets of taps and dies at one of those tent tool sales. Spent under $100 for the shebang.

Yesterday, I got up my courage, finished assembling the press, and did my first little very minor gunsmithing project.

It involved converting a Tasco saddle style scope base for an 870 to work with my Charles Daly semi. Amputate a tab, measure, align, mark, and drill a second bolt hole, tap it for a 10-24 screw, a little cleanup with a file, and a coat of Krylon Camo Flat Black, and Voila, It Lives!

Carpe Diem!

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a factory refurbished drill press, and two sets of taps and dies at one of those tent tool sales. Spent under $100 for the shebang.

Yesterday, I got up my courage, finished assembling the press, and did my first little very minor gunsmithing project.

It involved converting a Tasco saddle style scope base for an 870 to work with my Charles Daly semi. Amputate a tab, measure, align, mark, and drill a second bolt hole, tap it for a 10-24 screw, a little cleanup with a file, and a coat of Krylon Camo Flat Black, and Voila, It Lives!

Carpe Diem!

Greg </div></div>

I might have missed it but, what does this have to do with getting out a stuck case? lol

BTW I use the RCBS kit. I had a really bad week when I was resizing about 4000 223 cases. 3 stuck cases later, in 2 of my own dies and 1 of my friends, I had to get the RCBS. Works like a charm.

I have seen this on another site and have never had to use it yet.

But do what Quee said except take a Socket that is the same size as the base of the die and get a washer that you can slide the bolt through and tighten down on that. The Socket becomes your fulcrum. I have heard they slide out very easy doing this method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen this on another site and have never had to use it yet.

But do what Quee said except take a Socket that is the same size as the base of the die and get a washer that you can slide the bolt through and tighten down on that. The Socket becomes your fulcrum. I have heard they slide out very easy doing this method. </div></div>

Great idea, I've pulled a lot of bearings doing this. I never thought to use it for a stuck case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen this on another site and have never had to use it yet.

But do what Quee said except take a Socket that is the same size as the base of the die and get a washer that you can slide the bolt through and tighten down on that. The Socket becomes your fulcrum. I have heard they slide out very easy doing this method. </div></div>

Doh!!

I forgot about the socket! It acts like a washer for the bolt and easily draws the case out. I've had the RCBS kit for so long (and not needed it since I use the Dillon spray lube!) that I forgot about the socket portion of the trick! It is a better way, as you can use put the die back into the press, lock it, and not risk harming anything as you ratchet out the case!

I got it. Thanks for the help. I used the old "Drill it, Tap it and wrench it with a socket" trick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on RCBS stuck case removal kit.
As for lube, use Imperial.
I tryed Hornady One Shot recently. It was a total disaster.
</div></div>
same as he said, Hornady One shot is crap.RBCS stuck case is a great tool to have!!

WOW!!!!! I made the socket/screw set up and I pulled a stuck case with little to no effort on the same case that I broke a reloading bench on while trying to break the case free. Excellent Advice!!!! I have included the set up on my bench, and plan on switching BACK to RCBS case lube and hide the "One Shot."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you get it out switch to imperial sizing wax </div></div>

I used imperial wax and still got a 7STW case stuck in a new Redding body die first time I used it. The next 49 did not stick though. Die was cleaned and lubed before starting. First time in almost 20 years of reloading I had a stuck case.

Ha ha, sucks to be you. Err, ok, I was there not to long ago, RCBS tool works great, just don't be a moron like me and bend your repriming stem in the process.

I use the one shot to clean stuff only, FA for resizing...so far so good for .223.