• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stuck case

spelled right

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2014
I have shot a 22-250ai for over 30 years and have fireformed hundreds of brass. However, this is the first time with unfired Lapua brass. It seperated about midway up the case body and was the 17th shot. The others extracted very easily and I was using a mild load. The rifle was a new custom build and was shooting respectable groups during the process.

My questions are......Why did this happen and how do I remove the brass from the chamber??

Thanks

I hear the way to remove separated brass from the chamber is with a tap. It will thread itself into the case walls and the case will spin itself free.

I was able to remove it by using a new copper brush and inserting to just beyond the neck and pulling back. It came out really easy.

I inspected and measured the remaining brass. Everything good. No clue on what happened.

Have you checked your other fired brass from that session to see if there are thin spots inside the case where that stuck one separated? It may be all of them are close to tearing apart, just so happened that one did.

Just visually inspected, but looking from the outside isn't measuring thickness. I am at a loss.

Ok. I did as you asked.

Separated case. .017
Fired. .018
New unfired. . 017

Looks pretty close to me.

It separated where the shoulder begins headed towards the neck. What I removed from chamber was just the shoulder and neck. Very small piece.